How can I get the window tint off?

iwannanSC

Hello,

I have a problem. I purchased my '89 SC, and it came with purple window tint on it. Well it's time for the tint to come off. I have torn the tint off of all the windows except the rear window. However, on these windows, I can't get the glue off. I need something to get the glue off with. I also need some way to get all the tint off of the back window. I can't find a place to start tearing it. I'm sure someone here has taken off window tint before. Please let me know if you have a way to get it off!

Thanks for the help,

Matt

My car also has this; although it is still in good condition. Window tint should really only be handled by a professional, especially because of the difference in the materials available to them.

There are kits available at WalMart and autoparts stores specifically to help remove window tint. Most of them focus on chemicals which help to loosen the glue. Be aware, however, that it also may remove any stock tinting that was left.. as will acid or alcohol based window cleaner such as Windex.

Last edited:
Whatever you do, DON'T use a razor blade, they do leave scratches.

I took mine off recently by heating with a hair dryer on high, and slowly peeling it off as I kept the heat on it, behind where I was peeling. The tint on every window came off in one piece for me. Afterwards, there was a lot of adhesive residue, but some full strength Orange Clean (thanks Dr. Fred!) easily removed that.

There are other ways, but this is what worked for me.

resized%20dec%2001%20low%20pro%20side.jpg

Still need help...

Guys, Thanks for all the help! onequiksc, your hair dryer idea worked pretty well, although mine didn't all come off in one piece. However, I bought some Orange CLean and it doesn't take any of the adhesive off. If anyone has any ideas, let me know. My windows don't roll up or down because the windows are stuck to the sides with the adhesive! I really should have done a test spot to see how well this was going to work, but I am the type to jump into things too quickly.

Thanks,

Matt

May be the kind of Orange Clean product, I've seen some at Wal-Mart that aren't quite what I used, they're diluted. The one Dr. Fred sent me (he works for the company as a chemical engineer) is a full strength concentrated bottle, extremely strong.

No worries, go get some Goof Off. It's a pretty strong solvent. Wear rubber gloves, it contains xylene, which you really don't want absorbed into your skin. You can also use lacquer thinner in a pinch too (which also contains xylene). Cheers.

Go to your local hardware store and get some acetone. That will take off all adhesive from the glass with ease. Make sure you don't drip on anything else, it may take the colour out of your door panels.

Or, find a woman friend or family member and use their nail polish remover.....it's acetone as well.

:)

dis ez

409 works great for getting the glue off. Anything with ammonia works really well. That's how we removed it at a stereo shop I used to work for.

Jeff

Back