how fast????

Status
Not open for further replies.

10second sc LTD

hey everyone !:D

i just bought a 1989 t-bird sc l.t.d. from a friend of mine an was wondering about how fast do you think it can do the 1/4 mile??? also , if you think i got a good deal or not???

1) it has a hp chip put into it!

2) stainlesssteel pipe system!

i don't really know anything else just yet, but i will put up
more info as i get it!

i've been buggin him for like a year an a half now an he gave
in, it's got 81,500 miles on it .

in really good shape , the outside is almost mint. an the inside
just needs to be cleaned out really good.....
as soon as i take pic's i'll post them!!!!

are'nt t-birds the sweetest cars!:cool:

Congrats on your purchase....81,000 orig. miles on an 89 is hella good,or indicates it sat broken alot,hopefully that's not the case.
ET's are hard to say w/out more info about mods ,find out what the chip was programmed to do ,any mods to intake ? Gears? Porting? Car runs high 15's stock. Sounds like a nice car! As far as telling you if you got a good deal,your going to have to tell us what you paid.......
Good luck and Welcome

sound system.

i installed four 10's in the rear wheel well where the spare tire use to be. two of them are jbl 10's and the other two are jl 10's (same company) they can each handle 400watts rms .i also have mounted to the back seat facing foward two 12" orian and there each 800 watts rms. but i only have two amps "really old amps" targa , but they sound good
one is a 4ch 600watts peek(that one powers the four tens ) the other is 2ch 400 peek (this one powers the two twelves)at 4ome's stable. there not bridged.....

now here's the thing i want to do a whole new system and i was thinking about sony eXplodes all around, from the radio/tape deck
to a cd changer in the trunk an amps with speakers too. i only want to do this mostly for the look (black silver and red)it goes with the sc's color on my car. but can anyone tell me if they have any of this equipment or if they know a friend who has this kind of setup an how good does it sound. i'm not really interested in winning any sound comp.'s i just want it to sound good in the car and maybe when i dive by so people can hear it!

Attachments

• 10 inch speakers 2.jpg
    10 inch speakers 2.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 318
Those JBL speakers look more like full range house speakers than subwoofers. They are probably older than I am.

Did you make that board out wood, or did you just cut up the spare tire pit cover. I have thought about that for a pair of 12's but I don't think it'd look right with 1/2 inch thick fiberboard unless I built a false floor.

Just so you know JL and JBL are not the same company.

Plus 2 12's and 4 10s all in one trunk, I think thats over kill. I have heard 3 10's in an SC that were just as loud as my 2 15's and they weighed less. So its not all about how many subs you have. Its all about how your box is designed, and how much power you can throw at them without distortion.

I think rather than building the spare tire cover, I think I'm going to do a box for two 12's and mount my amps flush with a raised carpeted floor. Then either on the side of the amps or behind the sub box and between the rear seat I want to put a 10 lb bottle :D

Problem is I really don't want a heavy system. I like the car to go fast rather than shake everyones house and get me loud music tickets, plus I value my hearing.

1/4 mile time is dependant on a lot of things. Two of the most important are driver ability and traction. I'd say with an exhaust (although you just said "pipes" so that could be read to mean you have new pipe with stock restrictive cats, resonator and mufflers) and a chip (more than likely not a custom burned, probably a hypertech or superchip) you are probably good to go low 15's high 14's with traction. Only way to find out is take it to a track and run it. Get your 60 ft. times down to 2.0 or as close as you can on street tires and thats about all you'll get out of the car. If you plan to do more mods I'd suggest removing that chip since they have been known to do more harm than good and once you start doing other mods that chip is basically a paper weight since its only programmed to change stuff from a stock car. The best thing to do would be to find someone who can dyno tune your car and let them reburn your chip tailored to your mods and then they will also keep an eye on your air/fuel ratio to make sure you aren't gonna run lean and blow it up.

5/8" plywood

hey scott , yeah those speakers are like 10yrs old i know but the amps now there from 1987 i think, not sure but they too are old.
the way i cut out the wood was : i used the spare tire pit cover an trace the outline of it then cut the speaker holes out , and then carpeted the whole think myself "that was my first time doing a board like this" . like i said i'm not doing this to blast out
everyones house : my intention is to put the fold down back seat in my sc with fiber wire lights all threw-out . those blue wire wraps you see are for strobes "red white & blue" that i have as you can see right now there only hanging there till i mount them up........ i hope to have this done within the next two or three months or so....... have to watch the money right now , things are tight. but i will post more pic's when i
m all done....

p.s. jl & jbl are two different company names but the same people make both speakers , just so you know!

Scott Long said:
Those JBL speakers look more like full range house speakers than subwoofers. They are probably older than I am.

Did you make that board out wood, or did you just cut up the spare tire pit cover. I have thought about that for a pair of 12's but I don't think it'd look right with 1/2 inch thick fiberboard unless I built a false floor.

Just so you know JL and JBL are not the same company.

Plus 2 12's and 4 10s all in one trunk, I think thats over kill. I have heard 3 10's in an SC that were just as loud as my 2 15's and they weighed less. So its not all about how many subs you have. Its all about how your box is designed, and how much power you can throw at them without distortion.

I think rather than building the spare tire cover, I think I'm going to do a box for two 12's and mount my amps flush with a raised carpeted floor. Then either on the side of the amps or behind the sub box and between the rear seat I want to put a 10 lb bottle :D

Problem is I really don't want a heavy system. I like the car to go fast rather than shake everyones house and get me loud music tickets, plus I value my hearing.

i was told.........

i don't know much about this chip thing , i was told this chip can be adjusted from a pod on the chip, now weather or not this is true i don't know! can you tell from hearing that what kinda chip is in it?
also can someone tell me what the stock hp of the 1989 sc is?

Scott Long said:
1/4 mile time is dependant on a lot of things. Two of the most important are driver ability and traction. I'd say with an exhaust (although you just said "pipes" so that could be read to mean you have new pipe with stock restrictive cats, resonator and mufflers) and a chip (more than likely not a custom burned, probably a hypertech or superchip) you are probably good to go low 15's high 14's with traction. Only way to find out is take it to a track and run it. Get your 60 ft. times down to 2.0 or as close as you can on street tires and thats about all you'll get out of the car. If you plan to do more mods I'd suggest removing that chip since they have been known to do more harm than good and once you start doing other mods that chip is basically a paper weight since its only programmed to change stuff from a stock car. The best thing to do would be to find someone who can dyno tune your car and let them reburn your chip tailored to your mods and then they will also keep an eye on your air/fuel ratio to make sure you aren't gonna run lean and blow it up.

Last edited:
if i.........

i've already toasted a 2000 vette of the line till about 145mph . so how can you say my car will only hit 15's to high 14's???

Scott Long said:

i've already toasted a 2000 vette of the line till about 145mph

The Vette wasn't racing if you stayed in front till 145 mph. Stock SCs are pretty quick between stoplights or on an 1/8 mile track, but don't have much top end power.

You can get the jump on most cars because of the high torque, but after 4500 rpms your power band starts dropping like a rock and the Vette's still gaining.

The times Scott quoted are very close to what you should expect, they may even be a little quicker than you will manage at the track. The only way to know for sure, is to put it on the dyno or take it to the track.

I thought mine was pretty quick too when I had 3.73 gears, headers, full exhaust, raised top, 5% pulley, shift kit and a K&N panel filter. It wasn't as quick as I thought, running only a 15.0 @ 89 with good traction.

David

Last edited:
SORRY BUT.......

THIS WAS ON THE NEW JERSEY PARKWAY, FROM ONE TOLLBOOTH TO ANOTHER AN HE DID TRY TO PASS ME.......I DO MEAN TRYED.

David Neibert said:
The Vette wasn't racing if you stayed in front till 145 mph. Stock SCs are pretty quick between stoplights or on an 1/8 mile track, but don't have much top end power.

You can get the jump on most cars because of the high torque, but after 4500 rpms your power band starts dropping like a rock and the Vette's still gaining.

David

10secSCLtd,

Whatever.....get a timeslip and back it up. 2000 Vettes can run mid 13s on street tires. Are you saying your car is quicker than that ?

David

*edit*

I'm not gonna argue cuz if the vette made a smoke show it could happen. I still can't believe I beat a WS6 down on I-30 in Merrillville with Ryan G in my car as a witness. I'll leave it to the conclusion that on the street anything can happen.

*edit*

Last edited:
Kid, you're talkin out your ***. There is no way in hell that an sc with the lack of mods you listed could even think about touching a C5. Maybe you beat an early 80's vette with cross fire injection but that's still stretching it. So to put it nice and discretely, STOP FILLING THE FORUMS WITH *****.

DON'T LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN!!!!!!!
KEEP THE STORIES TO YOURSELF!!!!

(Language edits by moderator.)

Been installing since 81'? How old are you anyway?

The JBL's you have are from the hatch box's made in the the early 90's, or maybe just early models. The Targa's are also from the same time probably in 93' if I remember right. They probably say hexfet on it in the description written along the top of the heatsink.

What do you mean that JBL's and JL's are made by the same people?

Their is no way in hell you beat a 2K Vette. Man we have been here a long time and are very aware of What a mostly stock SC can do. Just look at David's sig. He has the slips to back it up as well as respected witnesses on this board. Quit trying to pull the wool over our eyes and be yourself.

Jeff

Adam and I were there when Dave was running consistant 12.5 and 12.6's at MAR about two weekends ago. I have it on tape, he could embarass a vette with his SC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back