ECC- Blower Motor Problem

Mack92SC

O.K. you Master's of the MN 12....got a ECC Blower Motor problem.
The past couple of months, the variable speed fan operated in the lower speeds only when it felt like it. Made no difference if I set the digital temperature or adjusted it on the manual side. It always ran on high speed....Auto or Manual. Got in the car today and now it runs in high speed all the time......even when I shut it off ! What's up and how do I repair it?

Thanks in advance for the assist !

Mack
92SC
180,000 miles

I just went through this on my 87 Taurus( the OTHER pain I own). It suddenly began doing exactly what yours is(it has the auto-temp set up in it as well). The GD thing would not shut off, insisted in running at high speed no matter where the fan speed dial was set.
I had just found several auto wreckers that had the climate control units avaialble for $75.00 Canadian when lo and behold the stupid thing started working properly again. So I have no idea what the problem was.

The blower fan running on high all the time sounds like a resistor pack problem. Variable speed blower fans are controled by a resistor pack that runs the power through various resistor stages to slow the speed of the fan. When that fails, full 12 volts goes to the fan motor thus high speed.

I have no familiarity with the SC ECC, so I don't know if the fan is always on low speed. If the Ecc always has the fan on low speed, then it may just be the resistor pack.

But if the Ecc should really turn the fan off, then the control switch is likely bad. In that case it could be all related to a bad control switch, and not the resistor pack, or even both of them.

The resistor pack is behind the passenger side dash just below the blower motor connector.

Hey Mike,
You were right ! The resistor pack defaulted to High Fan when it went bad. Picked one up at local wrecking yard for $20.00.......problem solved ! Thanks for the info.

Mack :D

Back