Police package vehicles

When I was growing up in Nebraska, and the Highway Patrol was using the Fox body 5.0 Mustangs and Camaros, I was told that they had built motors in some of the cars, and when they got a replacement car in, they woudl rebuild the old engine and swap it with the new one. When the car went up for auction, the built motor came out and the stock one went back in. Not sure if it's true or not though.

at least down here at mexico they do that they put a build engine/tranny there and get the stock one out donw here we have some impala SS'' Stratus R/tT turbo with t3/to4 and FMIC and built crown vics but only federal highway patrol use them ,
the local police for the city they have this tsurus ( a nissan that looks like the 92-93 sentra) 4cyl and 5 speed, that only have removed cats better clutch and better shocks and some F150 picks ups with exhaust and gears. i know all this because most of my family is in the police or goverment agencies so i get to see/hear lots of things

Thanks AsScLoWn

Well I will find the blue one I saw sometime and post it.

On the Crown Vic. In 91 or 95 when I bought birds, I looked real hard at the cop car order forms. Actualy there were 2 engine HP options, where the higher horse one was with EPA exemption for police use to a municipality, unless you were willing to pay the $1k+ penalty. The lower powered motor was offerred as a cop/Taxie engine as well. The cop cars had an Aluminum drive shaft and different exhaust. Different wheels, and like all police cars a bigger radiator. The radiator is for sustained high speeds. There were a few other tricks to get it to accelerate better. All right on the order sheets. Any extra weight or reinforcement I don't recall reading at that time. I know the old 60s and 70s big Chrysler cars had more spot welds and a few thicker peices for the bumper and frame. Big older Impala had 2 engines true. The high HP one was quickest untill Jeep Cherokee was V8'd. Not the Grand Cherokee but the little boxy one. According to Waco Police the TX Highway Patrol Cherokee's were the fastest. Not sure what the Ford F-150 will do for police or the Dodge truck. TX started getting those.

Now in '91 when I ordered a 302 V8 bird with radio and right mirror delete options and a P track I was asked once if I was a cop. No just wanted a bird with pep for a company car with price cap. SC was outta reach.

Interceptor

A buddy of mine was telling me once about these Crown Vic INTERCEPTORS. He said they were mostly highway patrol cars. Lately I have noticed 5-6 of the local departments cars saying this. Its says it kinda small down in the lower left hand side of the trunk. He always raved about getting one. The cars seem quite for crusing, but when they get on it, I turn my head to see what it is. :) Anyone know anything about these? Are they special or am I to assume they have nothing more than bigger radiators, upgraded gears and such?

Joe

some of the ones up here before in the Crown-Vics and Caprices they installed shift-kits, and lowering springs on the highway cars:rolleyes: :D

My dad had a buddy who was an undercover cop. The guy had long hair, full beard, and the rest of the biker look.

For cop vehicles he got a harley, and a SC Cougar 5 speed.

Back