Oil guage MOD ?? on sender

Shockwave

I bought a Standard PS-60 oil sending unit at the auto parts store.
Dscn0084.jpg

Is the Ford part that big? The stock sending unit is a lot smaller. I have the heads off and the power steering bracket off as well. I can't tell if this thing is going to hit anything. Is this the right part?

Thanks
Jerry

That's a real oil pressure sending unit, same size as Ford's real oil pressure sending units. The one on your car originally is a fake, it only switches on and off. Ford placed a resister in the circuit going to the gauge so that full on from the fake unit reads like a nice pressure on your gauge. You can use a real sender (if it fits) and remove the inline resister from the wire harness to convert your gauge to real time. If you go back to the parts store and tell them you need one for an idiot guage you will get the original style sender. 15 psi will turn the idiot sender on and your gauge would read the ma in normal until it dropped below 15 for enough time to outlast the buffer in the idiot gauge. If you use the real sender you must remove the resister to get a correct gauge reading. There's an ariticle covering the mod in the FAQ of this site or TBSCEC FAQ, or maybe both if you decide to go with the real sender.

Don't tell me about how your gauge moves a little from time to time, it's only the small change in resistance as the contacts in the switch get pushed back and forth. Trust me your original sender and guage are just a yes or no for pressure.

Vernon

I know that the original part is just a switch. That's why I am attempting the MOD. I just wasn't sure that it was supposed to be that big. I wish it was closer in size to the original. Is this the only part # that would work?

I can't tell if its too large or not. If you still have the tube where the pressure switch screws into on, you could trial fit it. The only thing which should be in the way is the bracket plate from the PSP to the WP. Just took a look at mine and it looks like you should have plenty of room. You might need to turn the tube up slightly to clear the oil pump.

Last edited:
IMHO, I say scrap the setup altogether...

Just scrap the factory setup and install a analog gauge kit and mount them on the roof pillar. I am going to do that while I have mine apart. Can't trust the factory gauges in any way shape or form, best to just not use them at all.

Phil

Shockwave I was working on my '91's head gaskets today and started wondering if you could remove the elbow from the front cover and thread the sender into it to gain some room. I don't know if it would fit behine the brackets as mines apart also. Enough people have done this that there has to be a way. You can change the elbow angle or use another style etc.

Vernon

Well I think I am going to forget this mod. I would just have an inaccurate gauge with no numbers anyway. Might as well keep it an idiot light. If the sender was the same size I would do it. If you have a leak or need to remove this monster you would probably have to remove the p/s bracket.

I would go to the Ford dealer but they hate this kind of stuff. They would want to know what car this is for. The FAQ never mentions what car originally came with this sender number. The local dealer hardly ever has obscure parts and if I ordered it no returns on electrical parts.

Jerry

Back