Moving the tray under the rear deck in the trunk

Scott-Atah

the last retard cut the tray in half, cut off the useles half, and now i'm thinkin id like to remove it all together (more room for a sub box), but have heard there's some abs modules or something in it.

Where can they be moved to or what can be done with all this crap? How does it come off there? anything i should be careful of?

Keep in mind that i'm mostly mechanically/electrically retarded so no overly crazy idea's here heh.

But what have y'all done with it? '90SC cloth interior, rear seat don't fold down.

I took down the tray, (with some effort) and placed the ABS and Ride Control boxes neatly to the side under the carpet. They had to go together because of the way they were wired so I just put some old carpet insulation from a parts car between them. Maybe not for everyone but that's what I did. Tell you the truth, I regret taking it down. Kinda looks ulgy up there now. But I did make use of the holes in the back dash by adding in some 4x 10's I got from my buddy who had a system in his old Monte Carlo. Doesn't sound too bad. Just my $.02

Joe

well i gotta put a box back there full of subs....and to have a couple of 12's facing the back of the trunk.....the general consensus seems to be to move that tray.

With 12's, it is probably a good idea to move the tray. I did this conversion over a year ago and had no problems with either of the modules being where I put them. Previously I had 2 10's in a box. The tray actually held the box in there tight so I left it. Only reason it was removed was for the extra speakers I put in. Don't know if you ever removed the tray before, but I had to take the carpet off the back deck in my XR7 to remove all the screws and clips holding it in. Take your time if you plan on re-using it at any point, and good luck.

Joe

hmm whats it look like when that's all said n done....is there holes there?...or....i've never actually crawled int eh trunk to look at it all (too much other crap there).

on that note how big are these modules?...i assumed they were tiny held on by some bolts ontop of this tray

The modules themselfs are held into the tray by clips. They are both maybe 7x7. (at the most) The only holes you will find are (obviously the ones from the tray) and two oval shaped holes. The hole on the right side was for the stock sub option. I guess ford wanted it to be symetrical because there is one on the other side as well. Never found out if there was any purpose to it. I made use of it by putting 2 4x10's for extra sound.

hmm i guess the fact that i had no stock sub means that hole probably isn't there...darn.

Ah well i think i've got an idea of what i can do now...i just gotta get in there maybe sunday i'll have time and i can look at it and see how hard it all is etc etc.

so then as far as people sayin cutting holes int he rear deck will get more sound thru into the cabin of the car (for subs) which i never wanted to do cause i prefer not to change the car.....they're already there ya say. hmm interesting.

holes

Well, when I took the tray down in my 89 xr7, there was two holes there. (about 4x10) In my 90 with premium sound, the sub box faces up into the pass side hole. Honestly, I wouldn't go cutting the deck apart to get more sound. I have have quite a few setups in my 89 and I never though I had a problem not getting enough sound. But to each his/her own. Good luck.

Joe

d

heh no no i don't wanan do any cutting, just those were some idea's given to me a while back bout getting more sound thru....but if they're already there....even better.

I looked under today and saw the holes you guys were talkin about.....very interesting.....those modules are pretty thin....if i didn't know better i'd say that tray was empty heh.

If it warms up i'll be able to go out an dlook more tommorrow or if all else fails on sunday

thanks to y'all :D

MercXr7-5speed said:
I took down the tray, (with some effort) and placed the ABS and Ride Control boxes neatly to the side under the carpet. They had to go together because of the way they were wired so I just put some old carpet insulation from a parts car between them. Maybe not for everyone but that's what I did. Tell you the truth, I regret taking it down. Kinda looks ulgy up there now. But I did make use of the holes in the back dash by adding in some 4x 10's I got from my buddy who had a system in his old Monte Carlo. Doesn't sound too bad. Just my $.02

Joe

Holy Thread Ressurection Batman....

Did you have to do any rewiring or was there enough slack to move it to the side?

I also wanted to put 2 12"s back there, but thats not possible with that rack.

subs and tray

A friend of my kid has three JL 12 inch subs with two batteries, caps and such drinving a 1200 watt amp. I have a single 10 inch sub (fits under tray) and delivers CLEANER bass although not over 100 db. The difference is mine faces forward via the rear arm rest (material from trunk removed and replaced with grill cloth) and does not stess you alternator since 400 watts will drive it well. "MY" bass is in the listening area, not vibrating my muffler hangers loose or aggrivating red light neighbors. MY spare tire has no appreication of bass. Bass is all about moving air. Move that air in an enclosure seperate from your listening area and the Police may hear it better than you will.
Just a thought.

Last edited:
Alternatives...

Scott, if you want to keep the trunk and the modules more stock, you dont have to remove the tray. i wanted to keep my trunk stock like too and didnt want to remove the tray completely. so what i did was took out the tray, and cut off all of the plastic hangers and as much i could. i pretty much butchared the tray so that the height of the tray was no higher than the height of clips which hold the modules to the tray.
then, i fipped the tray over (remember to flip the modules on the tray as they do have a "this side up sticker") and mounted it upside down to the under side of the deck. i saved a few inches without having to hide the modules under the carpet.
also, you can build a sub box for 12s to fit the trunk and keep the tray the way it is. my first 12" sub box fit perfectly in the trunk with the tray still attached, but it was stolen and i had to build another. only i screwed up the second time and i cut my mdf to the wrong height, so i had to make adjustments.
heres a couples pics of the tray

Attachments

• trunk.jpg
    trunk.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 113
  • trunk2.jpg
    trunk2.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 114
More sound less watts

As a speaker and amp builder of over 25 years, I still suggest that getting bass INTO the car and not into the trunk is a good thing.

Attachments

• DSCN0001.JPG
    DSCN0001.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN0002.JPG
    DSCN0002.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 53
unless you have fold down rear seats, or have customized the rear seat so that it does fold down, its not easy to get sound into the car. so many of us have to work with what we have.

Back