GEAR questions !!??

blitherskite777

As I think it says, I have a 92 SC. I havent done much research on what gears it has in it, but it is a Ford 8.8 rearend right ?? WEll this is my Q!! I have 3.55 Gears out of a DANA 44 and was wondering if they will fit in our Ford 8.8. And would putting 3.55 gears in help alot ?? Other then help my Car EAT MORE GAS !!

Thanx for the input !

Jonathan.

Sorry, not even close with that Dana gear set.

If you're looking to get a set of 3.55 gears, check the link in my signature for a list of good prices on Ford stuff.

That ratio is pretty steep for a 5-speed car, many people (including myself) choose 3.27 for those.

cheers
Ed Nicholson

Well, I'm not sure what a DANA 44 is but....... if it has a Ford 8.8 rear end......the gears should work.

I was once told that gear ratio is a matter of personal choice, thank you Mr. Ing.

If you want to be quick off the line and for the 1/4 mile then 3:73 gears would be better, if you want an all round gear that would help on the low end as well as the mid range then 3:55's is the way to go. IMO

Ed, we posted at the same time.......are all ford 8.8 gears not interchangeable?

Jonathan, I didn't realize that your car was a 5 speed, go with what Ed mantioned.

WHAT THE HELL IS A DANA??

DANA is the brand of Rearend that is found in such products like Jeeps. I had the Dana 44 as a spare for my jeep. Dana is the most commonly used rearend that I was aware of anyway. Is it even worth putting 3.27 gears in ?

How much would a set be to put in ?

blitherskite777 said:
Is it even worth putting 3.27 gears in ?

How much would a set be to put in ?

Considering that your stock ratio is 2.73, going up to 3.27 will give you about a 20% increase in revs at any given speed. Yes, they do make a difference, 5th gear especially becomes more useful. Bear in mind as well, your 1st gear ratio in the trans. is 3.75:1, so combined with a set of 3.55 gears, you would be shifting into 2nd about 5 feet through the intersection from a stop.

Labour at a shop to install would be about 5 hours. What some people do to upgrade a manual trans. car to the 3.27 ratio is to get a complete diff. assy. out of a 1989 - 1993 auto. trans. SC, they had 3.27 from the factory.

cheers
Ed N.

Thanx.

I will probably try and find a rearend out of Auto then. It shouldnt be that hard:confused:

You want to race my contour?? ha ha .. you better have something faster then a stock SC!? :D My contour is done up a bit. Its a quick car, faster then my SC. I only got the SC because I wanted a rearwheel drive sports car and I liked the SC. Mustangs draw to much attention from Cops. Frontwheel drive gets really boring after a couple of years !!

Anyway .. thanx for the info!!

Does anybody know of anybody that is selling the rearend out of there AUTO bird?

I'm bothered by the fact that you even thought the gears from a Dana 44 might fit in an 8.8 :(

Anyway since I get sick and tired of arguing the valour of a higher gear. I'll just give you a link so you can learn how gears really affect the performance of a vehicle.

http://www.socalviper.org/techtips/gears.html

I've got a race for that contour, my buddy has a turbo MX6 (older style) I think that would be a good race, or you could try me but I don't think that would be as good :p

I have a friend who is looking seriously at SVT contours. He has had a couple mustangs but he wants something a little more civil now. How does their performance compare to a Probe GT? I was under the belief that there motor were very similar, I've also been told that though the SVT is rated considerably higher its performance is not astonishingly better than the regular v6 (this is straight line performance only, as I know the handling is another story).

Last edited:
I raced a Contour when my SC was almost stock, and I'll vouch for the fact they aren't very fast (no offense to the owner).

There is one that lives in Garnet's subdivision in King City also, the guy is a KVR dealer. I've talked to him several times, and he said they don't even bother racing them at the track, because they all break differentials BIG TIME! Also, Garnet smokes him in the '88 Turbo Thunderbird also.

Nice sporty cars, but they get more credit than they deserve (performance wise)

I guess because I own both of them, I can be a better judge. My dad and I have raced them side by side. The only advantage that the Sc has over the Contour is the whole shot. Unless your a MORON, you can easily brake the front Diff. by dropping the clutch in 1st under the wrong conditions. Ford didnt do to much to the drive tran for the extra horse and torque stearing is an unfortute side effect. The car wasnt made to be drag car, it was designed for a track car. I can drive My contour at 240Km and it feels like My SC at about 140Km. The reason why the guy said he couldnt tell a difference is because the Torque is the same for both engines. I have one of those G-force Pros. I got it for a gift. I can do 0-60 in 6.89 Sec. and 1/4 in 15.3 at 93Mph. My stock SC it says 0-80 in 7.2 and 1/4 in 15.6. That was before the motor was rebuilt though. I would beg to differ BY fact that my Contour is Fast and really a nicer car then My SC. Handle and Performance.

Each car, I can say though has been REPAIR happy though. I have put out 3rd in my Contour 2 times, and have put a new clutch in it. I also have 185,000Km on it. It, Up to this year was my daily driver.

I know that this is an SC Board and you guys have your options and so do I, I guess. I am not bashing my Sc AT ALL. I love the thing or I wouldnt have bought it. Its just a completely diffecent feel with that Torque !:) 318 VS 155 .... ha ha ..

Anyway .. its late and I am not reading this over, so I am sure I sounded really stuck up or whatever. These are just my 2 cents
:D

KEEP THE PEACE !!! :p

J

Ps. I AM NOT TRYING TO MAKE WAR WITH THIS !!!!:(

I had a small run in with one, I'm not if it was a race or not. Anyway, I would like to try, if we have a meet out in london(we should soon), I'll have my car out. Stock, not any more. I can take the loss, if you do beat me, its just fun:D I have no real idea of that car, as for what it can do. What are the times for the 1/4? stcok of coarse. What have you done to yours?

Gears in the early models, are they wierd. In 1st gear, like Ed said, you will be shifting VERY early. As for buying a useing pumkin, please, please, make sure you are buying all in parts for the internals. It's not a good idea to run used gears, on anything to do with gears.

The more significant point I was getting is, Ford cars labelled "SVT" usually come with the expectation that they are extensively modified, and would be a threat to most cars on the road. The Counter, in this case, does not live up to that expectation. When you have SVT making Cobra R Mustangs, and then look back at the Counter days, there is a HUGE difference in what aftermarket components were added, and how much improvement was made between the SVT model, and the model below it.

I will give credit where credit is due, however, and admit that the Counter could likely win over the SC (stock) through a subdivision due to the superior handling and reduced body roll. Personally, I would have expected more from a car that resides with class of highly modified Mustangs, Lightnings and Supercharged Focuses.

So, I have to agree with Bill on that, but my run ins with those cars is very limited. So those probes, there fats eh? I think their is a guy on my street with one. Rose mist, nice colour man:rolleyes: I should talk with him. What motor was the good for that car?

The SVT Contour had a 195 hp 24V 2.5L V-6 ... peak horsepower was at 6625 rpm, less than 150 revs less than redline !! How cool is that ??

Stock performance specs were very similar to a stock SC ... low to mid 15 quarter mile, mid 140s for top-end speed.

cheers
Ed N.

SVT VS SC Love affiar !!!

I was thinking, after all this, I am going to eventually be able to make it to a meeting and as soon as your realize its me.... I am never going to hear the END OF THIS :-( ..... ohh well ....I want to come to the next meeting so that I can meet some of you guys in person. !!!:D

Bill my friend, Number one, Cobra R was NOT AN SVT !!! Number 2, the contour was only 5 GRAND MORE for SVT then a fully loaded Contour in 99. Number 3, After 98, the contour had 200Hp at 6625. BUT you have to remember that you dealing with Eurp. Hp not Americian hp. The power band in my Contour starts where my SC ends. Its just completely different.:D

You know, I find it REALLLLY funny for the fact that you guys are picking on my Contour. In my option, it would seem that you think that Ford shouldnt have even made the contour SVT. But on the other hand. YOU Love you SC's. WHAt is an SC. Its a super Charger LX. With ground effects and a different Susp. THe 4.6L and the 5.0L V8's are amost faster and so my conclusion is that these MAINTAINANCE HAPPY BEASTS are about the same in retrospect to my contour SVT !!! Once again, I own a LX that is a special Edition for 89 that has the normal 3.8L and its pretty gutless. I already know that your going to say that the supercharged V6 makes the SC WAY better then the LX, but I beg to differ. The bloew on the SC gives the bird about another 60ish HP, where as my contour has another 30 naturally. So on the basis of 30 HP your making seem like your SC IS GOD and my SVT IS CRAP!! ha ha
With this car....

SUPERCHARGER = HEADACHE!!!!!

My LX has 400,000Km on it. I just got the engine rebuilt at 219,000Km on my SC. And its STILLL NOT working right :-(

Listen close everybody. I know that this is a forum and I am happy to entertain you guys with my Contour SVT Info BUT there has to be a line because we could go ON FOREVER.

Once again, I pretecting the Pride of my SVT because the fact stands (at least in my mind) that it is a better car then my SC. You want to try my car at the drag days you have in london. I will bring both my cars. I have never brought my Contour to the track because of insurance reasons. But I might be able to make an expection.

I hope everybody has a great day, I am already sorry I EVEN SAID anything about my contour!
:(

Ohh .. and about the gears. Yeah .. well ..we will see what happens. I dont need a car with even worse Gasmilliage. So I think I will put that on HOLD !!

KEEP THE PEACE !!

J

I just want to race it, thats all. I have heard about them, have no real idea of them, just wanted a freindly race. I would love that car too, if I owned one, which I don't. I have to love my SC, it takes all my money, as you have stated. I am not taking anything you have said with any offence, they where well put words, with no harm to be inflicted onto anybody. I will also be atlking with buddy and his (girly)Probe, see what we can do, if anything.

I'd love to see you and boths of yuor cars come out to a track day, only question, how you drive the 2 at once,,,,,,,,,LOL.

I'm not trying to bash your car, hope it doesn't come across as that.

All is well. I wasnt crying myself to bed lastnight !!!:D

I cant really drive both my cars at the same time, but my dad will take the contour and I can take the SC. I cant really drive my SVT now because of insurance. The whole reason why I bought an SC :rolleyes:

Hope to see at the first track meet thingy !!

J

Back