Rear Diff pinion seal replace or good mechanic in east GTA

T

tmnsheppard

Rear Diff pinion seal replace or good mechanic in east GTA

90 T-Bird N/A 3.8L
Has anyone done this? I noticed my rear diff was wet wit oil that seemed to be coming from where the driveshaft connects to the diff.
Is it a real pain? I have done control arms and tie rods, but I usually screw up a repair job involving fluids.
Repair shop told me about 20 for the seal and 2-3 hrs labour.
Maybe I should bite the bullet and have them do it, but I am on a tight budget so if I knew the job wasn't so difficult I wouldn't mind spending the weekend doing it.

Would I need some seal remover or seal installer or special tools for this job?

Any one know of any good fair, reasonably priced mechanics in pickering/ajax ontario?

Thanks for the help,
Trevor

Re:Rear Diff pinion seal replace or good mechanic in east GT

Trevor,

Before you spend a bunch of money, see if fluid is actually leaking from the pinion seal or weeping out of the threads on the drive pinion (the nut that holds the companion flange on). If the pinion seal itself is leaking, the companion flange and assembly should be dry around the pinion nut.

Ford issued a tech bulletin describing this particular symptom. Mine weeps from the threads and "wets" the companion flange and housing about 6 inches all around... it's done this since I bought it (95), but my fluid level never goes down so I just live with it. The fix is to use teflon tape on the threads, but that requires dissassembly ($).

93 Thunderbird SC auto

Re: Re:Rear Diff pinion seal replace or good mechanic in eas

Trevor,
I can recommend a performance mechanic in the east end that I use regularly for my XR7.
Rev'n High Automotive, 97 McMaster Ave (Westney/401), 905 428 8668. Owner is Darren.

He's sponsoring the Show n Shine on July 6th. See Wayne's post for further details. <a href=http://pub18.ezboard.com/fsccoasccooforum.showMessage?topicID=898.topic> See Wayne's post for full details.</a>

Back