auto trans question

007_SuperCoupe

Quick question for all you trans experts out there. I currently have a problem with my tranny (auto). Specifically, it doesn't like to shift into 3rd. And yes, it is 3rd, not OD. For whatever reason, it just doesn't like it. the car has 93,xxx on it now and I'm sure that I'm in for a rebuild in the near future. However, like most on this site, I don't really have the green backs to get that done right now. Which leads me to my question. Will a new, performance valve body help or hurt my ailing tranny? I'm going to go with a lentech tranny later down the line, but I need to keep it driving in the mean-time. I'm not really sure if my tranny problem is valve body related, or more serious. I'm just wanting to know what will prolong the life of my tranny. I've already done the basic maintenance on it, and the problem has persisted, although not as bad. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Well, I really don't know too much, but hopefully this will start some conversation. I'd say a differenent VB isn't going to hurt anything, or make anything worse. I'd say slap a nice big B&M cooler up front, and go for it. Maybe you will get lucky, and find out that your problems were cuased by a fualty VB. You can always remove it later and use it in a new tranny. That would be my .02

Thomas

My thoughts as well. I was just hoping for indepenent confirmation. I know enough about these trannys to know that the OD is generally the first thing to go. At least with the proper maintenance conducted on a routine basis. Mistreating the tranny (manually shifting from 1st to D) will cause it to go bad. I don't do that and I'm pretty sure the last owner didin't either. I'm thinking that somewhere along the line someone may have tried to modify the VB and now it is acting up. At least that is what I am hoping... See you on the 26th.

Check the throttle valve cable. I thought it was just a kickdown linkage when I first got my car and just rigged it up when the grommet broke on the throttle and burnt my trans up thinking something else was wrong with the it because I had changed the fluid and filter about the same time. Mine started with OD and then progressed to losing D. Good luck.

tranny

i want to buy a whole new performance tranny but not really sure where to go. i dont really trust aamco and others. any ideas of where to go?

I took the plunge myself after talking to trans shops. I found a trans parts supplier local and got the master rebuild kit,new tork converter,od band and trans go shift kit. $285. I must tell you though you will need special tools and a complete manuel for aod but when I get this thing togeter I will know its done right and the reward of doing it myself. Just ask a lot of questions and read the book over and over. Good luck all and this is my first rebuild

nwhittinghill

There are two reputable companies that I know of that supply good AOD's. I'm sure there are more, but I'm not too aware of them. The downside of these two is that they do "performance" AOD's which, of course, means more $$. You can get a pretty good AOD from ART CARR for around $1800 plus the converter. Lentech also has very good AOD's that go up to about $3000 when it is all said and done. (ART CARR can get close to that price with all the goodies as well). It all depends on how much you want to spend. I think that others on this site will testify to you though that you tend to get what you pay for. Basically the 'typical' AOD that you will get from a local shop or rebuilt by one (that will JUST rebuild it, no performance) just won't last. Some may, but from what I have seen, most don't. I'm going on second-hand knowledge here, but I'm keeping it all for future reference. I have heard of rebuilt trannys making it around 20k before they are toast again. I personally am leaning more to the Lentech street terminator plus with the wide ratio gear set. That will run that $3k range. Because of that, you can see why I want to keep my tranny around for a while longer. But that is just me...Check out the links page. There are some links to Lentch and ART CARR I think.

I think its a matter or cost and having a trans that will last the life of the car. Mine went out at 130k and if you look at track records most nomal cars never last that long. A reliable rebuild stock should meet the needs of 90% here. I think if you are going to put your SC in the 12s or low 13s you will need at least 2k trans.
I think I could get about $3500. to $4000. out of my 93 but the sad part is it is a 10 year old car that parts will become harder and harder to get. In spite of me loving my cars so much I still draw a line between love and money. After reading ,talking to trans guys there are so many mistakes made when they rebuild these. Most common is the pump not being alined. the trans will work but its life will be cut by 80%. Some just dont do the clean up and flush. Not having proper tools can score sensitve serfaces and cause pressure drops. Im a quick learner but I will gather as much info that I can before start.

Back