Thunderbird tubular k-member

Jaime, I tried to get something going with this a while ago during my days working with SCPerformance. Though there was a lot of interest generated, I could not find anyone willing to produce one for a reasonable cost (under 800 bucks US) or that would guarentee the quality. I still have a list of the people that were interested, if you want to get together on this. Remember, these K members with little change will work for all the 89-97 Tbirds regardless of engine model.

Paul

I remember the talk about this. Wasn't there going to be a prob with the suspension because of how much weight you were going to lose. Meaning needing different springs to compensate.

Actually...

It's NM12.

BTW: That's much better Randy. :p

Attachments

• notfox.jpg
    notfox.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 2,583
Last edited:
The reason I ask is becuae I have a fabricator willing to make them up for you guys relatively cheap, well cheapre then what you guys could get them for. Top quality company too. We would need 25 orders to go ahead with the deal though, he will make up the jig and everything for them. This is for the k-member only. He may be able to make some arms as well, I can talk with him more on that.

I am going to see if I can find out a price. I have to talk to the fabricator and see what he thinks, he has to determine how much time he needs to spend to get the first prototype made and then make the jig from that prototype, this is why he wants 25 orders to make it worth his while.

After that its basically how much for materials and labor to put it together. I'll talk with them tomorrow hopefully and get a base estimated price.

Im down for one..Make sure its Chromoly..And..Wouldnt it be nice if we could convert it to use the mustang style motor mount?....After all they bolt right up to our V6...When I put the tubular K member in my Couger (87) I was then able to use stang mounts..And the 87-88 5.0 couagrs use same mounts as 89 and up sc's

Chrome Moly is strong but not the best material for k-members. The constant abuse of the suspension can weaken Chrome moly, where as in a roll cage there is not nearly as much constant abuse. Yes CM is stronger but it is all brittle from what I have been told, so over time the CM will not stand up. This is what I have been told by a professional race car builder who builds roll cages and such.

Any other thoughts on this? I have always wondered the true benefits of a CM tubular k.

Count me in for one... Also when asking about price, be sure to include a question of Delivery time.. Those people that went with March pullies waited forever and had nothing but problems.... If time frames are met & issues started to arrise, I'd pull out. But if they do what they say, I'll take at least 3~!

Thanks,
Anthony
silvercasket@yahoo.com

What a huge undertaking.

I would love to cut 125 lbs off of the front of my car but I know I would never take the time to do this. I thought pulling my engine was tough. I can imagine what it would be like taking the whole front of my car off, not quite but still.

I think there is a guy down here that makes one, along with some other chassis pieces. I think his name is Johnny Lang or something like that. I'll check around and see.

Jeff

Randy,

Now that there is some interest, why not post your contact information. Anyway, it's nice to share.

Uh well I hope I'm not giving away somebody's secret here, but it only took a quick search on Google to find it. You can check out this thread on another Tbird site. The company is AJE Racing, apparently their member costs around $1000 because you need to use their adjustable A-arms as well. Seems like an expensive way to shave 100lb and gain maybe a tenth. But maybe it's more for people interested in handling and suspension mods.

Back