Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulleys and Mounts - Oh My!

JimGravelle Guest

Pulleys and Mounts - Oh My!

Hi,

I do believe my Tensioner Pulleys and Motor Mounts require changing. I've gone ahead and ordered the sweet metal replacements from Ford thru Ed, but am looking for some suggestions on the Motor Mounts.

One suggestion I received was to use standard T-Bird LX 3.8L solid rubber Motor Mounts, possibly in conjunction with a Motor strap. How hard is this to do? Has anyone done this before? Isn't this something you did Bill? Any other suggestions?

Back to the pulleys: anyone have any pointers or things-to-be-aware of when it comes to installing these?

Cheers!

Jim.

SeanMatteson Guest

Re: Pulleys and Mounts - Oh My!

Jim,

You can get the solid rubber motor mounts for our cars through a contact of Peter Roy's for around $55/ea.

Les and I have had pretty good luck with the Dayco steel idler pulleys from C.T.C. Bill made use of the Ford pieces, and it looks like he needs to adjust the depth that the bearings are pressed in on one or two of them so that the belt won't be riding off one side. I think the C.T.C. pulleys are about $23/ea.

The motor mounts are not fun to change when your engine is all together still. I did mine when the heads and exhaust manifolds were off the car. Les may be able to shed some light on just how ugly it is to do them when everything is still together, as he did one side on his XR7. I do remember that the mount bolts that go into the block, that have ground straps bolted to them are a particular ~~~~, as typically the nut holding the wire won't break free without actually backing the stud/bolt out of the block.

If the mounts have been bad for some time, be sure to inspect your oil pan and the lines/wires that run beneath the pan for wear, as some people have found their oil pans were worn right through, or the PS line was damaged.

We did install a torque strap on Bill's car, and it wasn't too bad, but it won't be easy to get a drill in place to drill through the main frame-rail unless the lower IC tube and perhaps the driver's side accessory bracket are removed first.

Hope I haven't scared you out of doing the work?!

Regards,

JimGravelle Guest

Sean,

Thanks buddy...totally freaked!

Actually, if the rubber mounts are better then the originals I'll just find a garage to do them. I'm sure laying on my back under the car on ramps and wrestling with engine bolts that have seen 7 years and 170,000 K's is not something I really want to do.

Do you know if the rubber mounts Peter Roy can get are better then the originals? What are they made for? (ie. car year, make and model)

Jim.

Bill A McNeil Guest

Jim,

My mounts are from MN12peformance.com. They are just solid rubber mounts from a n/a 3.8l motor. You may even be able to buy the Sealed Power version from CT. Expect to spend over $100 on the mounts and at least $200 for the labour.

V6Sprout Guest

Bill got any pics of that torque strap you installed, I wanna see what it looks like, unless I see your car first!

When ya coming down?

SeanMatteson Guest

Jim,

Actually, the mounts I used are made by Pioneer Motor Products. I was wrong. They only cost about $27/ea. I think they're every bit as good as Bill's, with the exception that Bill's were more like the OE mounts, with locating dowels, etc.

It's not a pretty job, and I would say that if you can get it done for $200 labour, then that's money well spent.

Cheers,

Les Borda Guest

Trust me you don't want to attempt that drivers side mount unless you have an awful lot of patience. I believe Ford charges 2 or 2.5 hours for the drivers side amd 1.0 for the passengers.

tbirdsc357 Guest

I'm taking my bird to get the driver side mounts done this week at Ford. It's costing me $300 and that's for the parts and labour. I won't think of doing such a huge job by myself since I am not very mechanicly inclined.

Steve.
    tbirdsc357.tripod.com

SeanMatteson Guest

Steve,

You may want to opt for a solid rubber mount as opposed to the liquid filled rubber mounts that are original equipment on our SC's. The driver's side mount always goes first, since it's put under tension when you get on the gas. It's not unusual to find that the mount has been torn clean in two. the solid rubber mounts tend to stand up better to the punishment. The trade off is that you may pick up more vibrations with the solid mounts.

Cheers,

JimGravelle Guest

Sean,

How do I go about getting those $27 motor mounts? The price seems too good to be true. Have you put them on your car yet? How about the one's Peter Roy can get? How do they compare?

Sorry for the ton of quesitons....just trying to locate the parts. I have a respectable garage that'll put them both on for me for $200. Now I just need to get the parts.

Jim.

SeanMatteson Guest

Jim,

Peter grabbed them for me. He dealt with a place called "Fincham Automotive". Unfortunately, I don't have their phone number anymore, but if you email Peter Roy at Peter@Broy.com , he should be able to hook you up. I think he knew someone there. As a matter of fact, he may have a set of brand new mounts on hand that he isn't using until he slaps his SC motor in his '71 Mustang, so perhaps he'd be willing to let you have them until Fincham can get another set in stock?!

I also grabbed a solid rubber transmission mount from these guys for about $48.

Good luck!

Cheers,

JimGravelle Guest

Sean,

Thanks for the info. I emailed Peter and he quickly responded with a name and a number at Fincham. The price quoted was $34.12 each. A lot better then Ford's price!

One question though (since you've seen them on and off the car) apparently the motor mounts are the same on both sides. Is that true? The only reason I ask is because Ford has the left and right sides listed with different prices. Strange?

Jim.

SeanMatteson Guest

Jim,

Is it possible that the Ford mounts include the metal upper and lower portions? The mounts you'll get from Fincham are just the rubber bodies that get sandwiched between the upper and lower metal portions. If the Ford mounts are the complete mounts, then definitely the left and right sides are slightly different, but both make use of the same hydraulic (oil filled) center section.

Les and I installed these mounts on my car, and since the heads and exhaust manifolds were removed from the car, the job went fairly smoothly. I hear it's a real ~~~~ to change them with everything still together though. I haven't had any problems since, and I tend to get on my car pretty hard sometimes.

If you have any questions, feel free to give me a shout. I think you have my phone numbers, but if not just email me.

Regards,

JimGravelle Guest

Sean,

No biggy...I found a garage that'll do both sides for just under $200. Sweet deal!. These guys have done other stuff for me before, they do good work, and the Manager (whose name is Jim also) owns a really nice Crown Vic (which he babies) and is a total Ford guy.

So how hard was it to separate out the original hydraulic core from the plates to install the new rubber cores? I'd hate for the garage to get weird with me at the last minute about the job.

Thanks,

Jim.

Les Borda Guest

I never did figure out why Ford lists two different part numbers for the mounts. Anything aftermarket lists one part number for both sides.
    Hope they don't freak on you Jim because most shops have no clue what it's like doing the drivers side if they have never done it before. It is ugly,nasty, no room to move, pain to get all the bolts out on the drivers side, not too bad getting the old mount out if it happens to be sheared in two. Enormous pain getting the new one back in again.