Head Problem - Brain Surgeon needed

San Diego Scott

My Head problem is, I'm confused. My car on the other hand has different symptons. I hope it isn't a Blown Head Gasket!

It all started when ... Last week a got a Low Coolant light. I checked the coolant and sure enough, my Resevoir was empty. I filled it, drove home and the next morning checked it only to find the Resevoir was low again. I figured it just bled air out so I filled the Resevoir again (to the fill cold line). A few days later I checked again and the Resevoir was a bit low again.

I have No Coolant Leaks, No Performance change of any kind (have lots of Power with no missing), Oil Pressure normal, Temp gauge normal). I decided to check the Oil and the dipstick showed about a GALLON of OIL too much! (Now I know where the COOLANT went.) How did it get there is the question.

I've read some post's that mention TIMING CHAIN BOLT leak, and OIL COOLER leak, as well as various symptons for Head Gasket Failure. The Oil was not milky or foamy, in fact it looked like thin oil. With the radiator cap off there are no bubbles and no coolant backfeeding into the resevoir (nor any color change in green coolant). No smoke in exhaust.

Is it the Head Gasket? Is it more probably OIL COOLER, or TIMING CHAIN BOLT leak? How do I determine which?

Also, is there anybody in San Diego or Southern CA that would like to do the work (I'll pay CA$H )

Thanks

'92 SC, Stock, 118,000 mi., Original Owner, Well maintained (oil change every 3,000 mi.) Coolant Change often - Boil $ Rod Radiator twice.

e-mail - sgursky@san.rr.com

Here's what I'd do. Drain the oil out of the block and change your filter. Check the oil when its in a container. I didn't notice milky oil when my gaskets blew. But when I pulled the drain plug on the oil pan it literally came spraying out.

i was going to write a post on almost the same problem...mine is doing the same thing but its not that bad yet....this is a LX tho...not on a SC

It does sound like a head gasket issue is most likely. Do what Scott said, drain the oil into a container and the oil and water will separate, if there is a lot you will see the water come out when you drain oil. Good news, you get to mod your SC more now.

Heads and Mod's

Thanks for the input. I was hoping that it wasn't the HG but if it is, I definitly will do some mod's at the same time.

I will probably have the Heads ported while they are off, but is there a special way to have these ported? What cautions are needed?

What are some other good mod's that you guys would do?

Also, is it possible to change the Main Seal on the lower end without pulling the engine?

Thanks

I haven't tried the rear seal but I may be able to help you with the heads. I have a set in storage that have about 15k on them, they had valve job done (all new valves at time) and minor porting, basic port match and some, that I will get rid of cheap. I kind of liked having an extra set around but if you want them give me a price. I think I have about $500 in the porting and valves. Was good friends with machinist. They took my car to 13.90's. I would also look into porting the exhaust manifolds, at least the collectors. I would also spend a little more and have them sandblasted, in and out, for like $20 and coat the outside yourself for another $15. You can send me an email @ a.pedroza@netzero.net.

Aaron had a great suggestion for his heads... Another option would be powerheads.com ... He is located in your neck of the woods. I think for a full machined porting and polishing it's $750.

Good Luck,
Anthony

Please don't tell mer that its the head gasket. I have the same problem but once it gets to full running temp, the resovior fills up normal. When it is cold the resovior is low, almost empty. I filled it 2 times already and it seems a little better. I was just hoping that maybe there was a lot of water in the mix and it was boilling off.

Joe

Back