Ignition switch question

thunderbirdsc5

Has anyone ever had an ignition switch go bad?? if so what were the symptoms when it was bad. Im having spark problems in my 89 and cant figure it out. i have alread switch the cam sensor, dis module, coil, integrated relay module, and still i dont get spark. however when i try to start the car the speedo and tack gauges jump and the fan kicks on. if anyone knows the problem please help. thanks

Yes...many people have had ignition switch problems. It depends on which part of the switch fails as to what circuits are affected.

Change it on out guy!

Mine went out and I lost brakes, guages, radio, and car wouldn't start unless I cheated the selinoind underhood!

You don't want this problem to occur when you hit a bump in the road or something.

It may, or may not be your issue, but at the very least check it out!

Mine fell out when I took of the connector going to it.

You will need a "tamper proof" allen key to get it off. I got a set at advance auto parts, it came in a blue case with a ton of other little bits, it might be a regular stock item at most Auto Zones...

Another thought may be the DIS module heating up. Does it happen when the car's cool, or after you've driven it?
If it only happens after the car heats up, you may wan to remove it, clean it off, and reapply a thin coat of compound to the bottom of it.

Hope this gives you a little help!

Have a good'n

switch

I had 3 go bad. They all simply snapped in half. (plastic separated from the metal.) I thought it was a bad design, but my ingnition lock cylinder was loose, and jarring against the switch.

My bet, your problem is your crank sensor!

I had spark problems with my '90 SC, changed the ignition switch since that was the easiest component to start off with. Still no spark, changed the crank sensor and vrrooooommmm!

BTW I was having intermittent problems with the car losing power during normal driving. I would coast over to the side of the road and after a few minutes it would start again. This went on for a month or so until it finally died and would not start again. That is when I replaced the crank sensor and I haven't had any hint of a problem since. Don't know if your symptoms are the same or not but I thought I'd let you know. Good Luck!

Re: switch

1Fast9One said:
I had 3 go bad. They all simply snapped in half. (plastic separated from the metal.) I thought it was a bad design, but my ingnition lock cylinder was loose, and jarring against the switch.

Could this the part of the ignition switch cause the key in/out "sensor" to read incorrectly?

I have replaced my ignition switch, and I still get the dinging weather or not the key is in if the door is opened.

Trying to get this straightened out, its driving me mad!

ding

I just replaced a lock cylinder, and if it is not perectly shut of, it will ding...also, my dad has a 94lx, and his does the same thing. When you hear the ding with the door opened after the key is out. Try turning the lock-cylinder back a little, or wiggling it until you get it to shut off. Mess with it for a while and it should go off.

Back