Anyone ran Las Vegas Silver State Road Race?

Las Vegas Silver State Road Race?
Has anyone ever ran it? I am interested in running it now that I have a roll bar instaled want to do other types of racing open road wide open throttle racing

It would be a wild ride with the power of this car on an open state to state road race thunder on the road
Thanks for any info ;)

Hey Jim. I haven't myself, but a guy at work has done it a couple times and is going out to the next one. He is the navigator for his brother and law. He has a bad asz Corvette and Ferari. He has had an absolutely awesome time when he went. Let us know if you go.

Thomas

Last edited:
Thanks Thomas

I will let you know.
I got a 427 Cobra friend here in Sacramento thats looking into this deal also.I want to do open road racing gear this car just right for full throttle wide open racing I think it will be a blast

Thank You ;)

Thanks Brandon

Thanks for the web link!
Maybe we can get a group together go to Thunderhill and run there track this summer? I do like road racing a lot its a challenge unlike drag racing ;)

Thank you :)

Looks like Kenneth Roberts & Adam Henry drove thier 1993 Ford Thunderbird in 1997 and averaged 140.1166mph!!

Thomas

Jim, if you do it, definitely lower your gears for it. That way you can have a faster cruising speed.

Heck, even go with 2.73's. It might be a slug off the line, but you are primarily doing a high speed run, and they'd be perfect for that.

Dale

Great info Dale & Thomas

Dale thanks!
I want to grear it to run top speed and have enough around the corners to excelerate hard coming out of turns I got my Nittos 555's they should work good for this

I checked the price looks good my navigator co pilot and tuner ready to go full out. Thomas 140mph sounds like fun I know my SC will run very fast top speed's

Thank's Guy's :)

Jim,

Before the incident, I usually go to Thunderhill at least once a month. Road racing certainly is more difficult than drag racing, but each is fun in it's own right. The Silver State Classic is still tempting though.

Jim, may I offer this suggestion based on experience ... consider attending a performance driving school at one of the racetracks in your area before tackling the Silver State Classic, if you haven't done so previously. This will give you more enjoyment, and make for a safer run. Your car has a fair chunk of HP, you could get into trouble pretty easily. Also have a look at brake upgrades too if your's are still the stock type.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Jim, I have looked into it seriously. My biggest prob is that you need a racing license, NHRA won't work. Usually will run a couple of grand. You won't need a co-pilot either because they are only in the Open class and I don't think you'll be able to compete with the likes of Tony Stewart's 1 yr old car that I think averaged like 180mph, that is huge if you're not familiar with the track. The last 30 miles or so are through winding turns that will get even the fastest cars into the 60 mph range. You will also have to verify the tires will qualify, typical street ratings don't mean !@#$ to these tech guys. They mention most of the tires run are Pilot's. I have a buddy that watches one of the gates every year that really got me interested.

http://www.silverstateclassic.com/results-02-sscc.htm#170

I'm parking my SC late summer for major work. One goal in mind is to race SSC. From major frame/chassis work to engine work is in the planning.

Road racing is diffent than Drag racing so get ready to do some minor changes to your SC.

The link above shows different race classes:
UNLIMITED, 170mph, 160mph, 150mph, 145mph, 140mph, 135mph, 130mph, 125mph, 120mph, 115mph, 110mph, 100mph, 95mph...

Look at the unlimited class;
1990 Ford Thunderbird
High MPH Trap- 210MPH :cool:
Average speed 177.7086445 MPH :cool:
Total Time- 30:23.1787 :cool:

I don't think I'll be running that fast but 160mph class is my goal. Without cars and semi trucks like on the highways I may get bored so I may have to run down someone for a 160mph drag race:rolleyes:

Jim,

If that steak and beer go for this too, then I have a Turbo Supra MKIII that will eat the tail out of the Silver bullit:D
You can beat her in the 1/4 mile, but when she gets spooled up on the to6 turbo I'll own ya! The handling is allready built right in to the car.;)

Kurt Sr

Last edited:
Silver Supra Eater

I will have Supra cooked :D
No match for a full blown 500hp SC with right gearing you want your Chicken "WELL DONE"?

Ed , Aaron ,thundersc thanks for all your info on this deal I am looking to run her full out in a road race like this I always ben interested in road racing

Thanks guys ;)

Hey nascar chassis or mn12 a thunderbird is still a thunderbird.

I would love to built a street legal road racing chassis Thunderbird (Howe racing chassis has a rolling chassis $10,000)

I think a highly mod SC V6 engine in this baby would hit 200mph+

e.jpg

Last edited:
Jim, now you are talking. Road racing is the *****. I would love to do it. By the way that Supra would not hang with the SC, unless it is highly modded. I have driven a MKIII, as with most turbo's they get hot during long high speed periods.

Have fun and good luck.

-Steve

The Supra is modded but not that much, it got it into 12's. I would still bet on the Supra if a little money was spent on brakes and suspension. I would even give it to it now without any changes from either of them because of gearing and stock suspension and brakes over an SC. It is a pretty light car with good brakes and suspension that will rock any SC stock for stock. He has a stick which can run up to it's maxed out speed, probably 165 or so, without restrictions like an AOD does to an SC, probably only go 140 if lucky. Then let's say they both do some mods, brakes suspension, gears... The Supra will be going 180 where the SC will still probably only do 160 because of that AOD. Then as far as braking goes I would bet if they spent equal money the Supra would stop a good 50 feet short of an SC because of weight and design. Then comes the suspension, well we do have a pretty good suspension but so does the Supra since it was Toyota's exotic sports car at the time and with some tweaking and a little money you can easily get it over 1g on the pad, hell it is in high .9's stock, where it would take quite a bit to get an SC over a g. It's just a better sports car, sorry guys. Oh and as far as the turbo heating up I would bet we lose just as much, if not more power due to heat than they will, I lost about 30 hp just making back to back runs at the strip.

Last edited:
Point and case!!!!

Aaron, just made my point.
A AOD may be good for the 1/4 mile, but a AOD will lose on a open road track. This is not because of power, but how you get the power to the ground when you need it.
If the GT cup cars and nascar thought that a AOD would do the job better ,you can bet they would be running them.

A stick does make a difference when on a road track. Even if the car is making a little less power than yours is it will still out run you in the corners. Thats what a road course is. When you get in to a straight-way than you will have a little speed.

Here's a few of the modds on the Toy Supra:
To6 ball bearing turbo.
Pop off valve (set at 12 psi for now, can run to 18).
New down pipe, high flow cats, 2 1/4 exhaust, into a dur-max muffler (not ricey, but quite).
10 inch cross drilled rotors with double pump piston calipars.
Turbo timer, and shimed waste gate.
Heads have been re-done, bigger valves, new cams and racing timing gears with steel head gaskets.
The only thing it needs to go on the track are the tires!!!!

I think it will out run you even if it is not runnig the horse power that you are.
This is the "apple and oranges" thing again.

I think a 5-speed sc would also do a little better on a open road track over the AOD.

Heat does effect both Turbo and super chargers. The difference is that a super charger falls off when a turbo is just getting started.
This is what I mean by having the best of both worlds!

Don't get me wrong Jim, but it is the AOD that will be lacking in a road race That and two tons of wieght ;)

Kurt Sr

Last edited:
Back