3.8L Mustang Header install modifications?

phils89sc

Is there a way to measure and modify these headers prior to installation? I have some on the way to me, got them for $40.00 on Ebay.

Anyway, I want to complete my exhaust setup. What I have already is the Flowmaster kit for 92-up tbirds. From the engine to the cat-back, I am going to use the Mustang 3.8L headers, Mustang 3.8L down tubes (cut off about 8" after the flange), 2 Maremont 2.25" cats, and 2 x 2.25" pipe into either a Magnaflow resonator, or delete the resonator and add equalizer tube in place.

I want to know if anyone who has modified the stock mustang headers can tell me exactly what needs to be done to make them fit right without spending hours under the car trying to make them fit. I guess good pics would be great, or a really good description. I think the Drivers side has to be modified, I just am not sure exactly how.

Thanks

Phil Stocker

Well I haven't done it yet but it looks like there is only about a 1/2" clearance prob on the drivers side right at the flange. If you can get rid of the flange somehow, what I am planning, or heat up the pipes enough to bend it in a little then you should be fine. Only other thing you can do is grind down on the steering rod before the install.

I was wondering if the 2001-2003 mustang headers fit our cars. I know the 1999-2000 headers fit with minor modification, but i was curious if the new ones need less modification??

Back