Will 6x9 speakers fit? Are front and rear the same?

B

Bill A McNeil

Will 6x9 speakers fit? Are front and rear the same?

I am in the market for some new speakers as my factory speakers are cacked. I was at Future Shop today (I know), and they list 6x9 as being factory for our cars front and rear. I don't think that is right considering the 6x8s are labelled "Ford/Mazda Factory Replacement". They also look like they have holes for 2 sizes on them.

Anyway, it is much easier and cheaper to by 6x9 than 6x8, so I'm wondering what others are replacing their factory unit with?

BTW, the one I want are Pioneer TS-A6867 220w 3-way 6x8. If I could go up to 6x9, the same speakers would be $119 per pair instead of $144.

Thanks Boyz.

Re: Will 6x9 speakers fit? Are front and rear the same?

Bill,

I recommend against buying those Pioneer speakers. I think you can get 5X7's that fit nicely. Why don't we talk to my friend that owns a car audio shop in Burlington to see what he can do for you? I know he has worked on SC's before too!

You can check out their web-site at:

www.radioactive1.com/

If you want, we could go and see him together.

LMK.

POST FLOOD CHECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p :) :lol: :cool:

Sorry buddy, I'm having too much fun with you. Thanks for the response. I'd love us to go together, I hate Future Shop. I need an alarm too, so maybe I can get a deal? When can we go and see him? And need this stuff done ASAP, and I'm guessing his business hours are the same as your work hours?

Bill the factory spkrs are a 5x7. What are you going to be driving the spakers with? An amp or just the deck power? This may help you in choosing the right spkrs. I have found that the Alpine sps5729 5x7's fit right and sound good. Usually the odd size spkrs (5x7, 6x8, 4x10) are more expensive. If the rear speakers are by the armrests they will be the same as the fronts. I don't think 6x9's will fit, without ant mods.

Steve.
PS. I need to know what you think about the head work you got done. Thinking of getting a set myself.(stage 3)

Bill, we put some Pioneer 5 x 7 speakers and a nice new Kenwood deck in my SC about a week before I stopped using it as my daily driver :(

Anyway, as the other guys have said, 6 x 9s won't go in without modifications.

cheers
Ed N.

I have 6x9's in the rear, yes you have to do a little modification, I didn't do it though, sonny boy did. The front door ones are the weird size ones that are hard to retrofit with regular size speakers. Just ot ask a stupid qiestion are the rear speakers located in the rear side panels, I;ve never bothered to look.

Okay, so we are 5x7 all around, so why do 6x8 speakers list at "Custom Fit Ford/Mazda" right on the actual speaker itself, and the box?

I will take everyones word and start seeing what is available in 5x7. Maybe the reason 6x8 have 2 sets of holes fit the 5x7 Ford original brakets?

guys let me know when your going out there if it is saturday or what ever I may go to.

No subject

Our cars are definitely 5x7 in all 4 corners, although the industry sometimes refers to them as 6x8.
If you're serious about sound quality nothing at any chain store is satisfactory. The best speakers I've ever heard are a French brand called Focal. I have their 6.5+1 component set in my front doors. I did a clean install with good workmanship and used a slightly ported plastic enclosure to baffle them. The clarity is great and they give good midbass without distorting.
I ran the speaker wire through the rubber tube into the doors, which required removing the parking brake pedal and some patience. I wrapped the passive crossovers in packing foam and plastic to make them shock and weather proof and dropped them in the bottom of the doors, so the windows open fully.
In the rear I have Eclipse 5x7 point source speakers with external passive crossovers that I might also replace with Focal.
Bill you live so close to me why don't I show you all this stuff, maybe sell you some used stuff real cheap and get you going.

Re: No subject

Hey Bill, you can really do what ever you want....well to a point, he he he. But everyone is right, the factory size is 5 x 7 front and back. If your budget allows, component spks are the way to go, at least in the front. But if not, just get a good set of 5 x 7's and you'll be very happy. If you can't find any at a good price...e-mail me and I'll get you a good deal through one of our dealers. We SC'rs have to stick together.

Let's go and see what Lee will do for you...

Bill,

Lee is open Saturdays 'till 5 or 6 in the evening. He's also open 'till 8 or 9 on Thursdays. I'm sure he can cut you a good deal on both the speakers and an alarm. If you check out his web site, you'll see a sampling of the lines he carries. I've got a Kenwood head unit that I bought from him, and I'm thinking of upgrading soon to one that will play MP3's also. I'm still running the stock amp and speakers, but hopefully that will change soon also.

Lee has done some pretty extreme systems over the years. It would probably be best if we went in to talk to him together. I'm sure he'll take good care of you... I know where he lives!

Cheers,

Re: Let's go and see what Lee will do for you...

Sean,

By chance are you related to Lee Matteson?

Bill,

I have close contacts at East Hamiton Radio also if Radioactive doesn't have what your looking for. I've spent over $11 000 there on my car stereo, so the sales people like me.

Re: Let's go and see what Lee will do for you...

Mike,

No. As a matter of fact, Lee's last name is spelled "Mattason", whereas mine is Matteson. We found it quite coincidental when we first met about six years ago! We wound up being neighbors. ...No relation whatsoever.

That being said, Lee and I have become pretty close friends over the years. He's always taken very good care of me whenever I've bought anything off him, and I'm confident he'd cut a great deal to anyone from the club who ventured into his store. I asked Wayne to post a link to his web-site under the "Parts and Services" page, and it was there for six months or so, but for some unknown reason, the link has disappeared recently. Lee offered discount pricing to all SCCoO members. Please just make a point of stating that you're a member of the SCCoO when/if you phone.

Regards,

Back