Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High Stall Torque Converter vs Low stall.

Quote Originally Posted by ABConverters
    I'm seeing alot of people talking about 2800 stall 9.5 inch converters around here. I just don't get that an 11inch converter can deliver the same stall more efficiently and cheaper.
    Alan
    I'm familiar with all of the heat issues associated with the smaller non locking convertor, but for me, it wasn't an issue. I wanted the lighter rotating mass. The street driving I see doesn't bother me, it just took a little while to get used to the convertor. The only negative that I've seen is highway cruising around 75-80 mph will generate some heat, but I never see over 190 with my cooler (my old cooler and 11" convertor got way too hot, 220+).

So for the 2800 stall example, are you saying that a heavier, more efficient 11" convertor is going to have less drivetrain loss (i.e. more power to the ground) than a lighter 9.5" converter? Or does "more efficiently" mean less heat?

Quote Originally Posted by ABConverters
    Art Carr builds several converters for these transmissions. Of the ones I have seen I can claim my converter to be better because of the billet front cover.
    Because of Art Carr's billet cover, or does yours have a billet cover?
    Last edited by Kurt K; 09-03-2004 at 08:16 AM.
    Kurt K (e-mail)
    SCCoA Member #: 443
    '92 SC AOD -- 11.521s @ 116.748mph, 2.0 AR power
    . . . . . . . . . -- 13.547s @ 101.01 mph, only w/ bolt-ons
    '95 SC 5spd -- All Stock, except 17" Simmons wheels.
    '90 SC 35th Anny 5spd -- 3rd owner, 16k miles
    2 '89 XR7 5spd's -- on their way out, really!

The 11inch converter will create less heat and be more efficient. Smaller converters create more heat. If you had an 11inch converter producing heat the stator had probably been cut to produce more stall. It was probably built from a c4 11inch core which is not good for high stall operation.
    For more information about cutting stators read this article I wrote on 4r70w converters. That is the 11inch converter used to produce a 2800 stall AOD converter efficiently.
    http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...threadid=47149

My 9.5 inch converter has a billet front cover. This is required for high rpm operation as ballooning is a serious issue on AOD's.
    11inch converters will show less drivetrain loss because of the larger diameter. 12inch converters built properly should show the least drivetrain loss. Eliminating direct drive in the 12 inch converters will shed quite a bit of weight(I'll get accurate figures ASAP)The weight difference between the 11inch and the 9.5 inch is not as great as could be expected because the billet front cover on the 9.5 inch is very heavy. I intend to do a write up on these converters. I would like to show all the options and all the different converters available to the market including those done by others. So if anyone has a aftermarket high performance converter they need cleaned,adjusted or repaired I will do a few of them at cost for informational purposes.
    Alan
    Last edited by ABConverters; 09-03-2004 at 03:05 PM.

I have just finished installing one of Alan's 11 inch converters in my 4R70W, and have so far been very impressed with it. It's a 3200 stall lockup converter. It's a nice piece for someone on a budget, but needs a higher stall.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich1034
    I have just finished installing one of Alan's 11 inch converters in my 4R70W, and have so far been very impressed with it. It's a 3200 stall lockup converter. It's a nice piece for someone on a budget, but needs a higher stall.

Actually that is a 10inch converter you have Rich.

the 4r70w

like all the info Dirtyd0g has given, now i am hoping he can help me with mine, i currently have 320hp (hoping to get it to 500hp soon) not sure on the tq #s, 4:10 gears and the factory converter just isn't getting me off the line quick enough. i am not a track guy but more of around town red light to red light. I have a decent show vehicle that gets looks but i also want it to run like a beast. "side note" it is on bigger wheels as well if this make a difference. would a 2200 -2600 stall give me what im looking for as far as acceleration vs the factory 1500-1800 one?

ill say this much based on my personal recent experience with a stall convertor. i have a 94 suburban with a 330hp 380ft tq 350, rebuilt 4l60e tranny, 4.88 forward and rear gears with a richman locker, 35in tires and it currently weight just under 7300lbs due to all of the extreme audio gear that i have installed. using the tci tranny controller even at the lowest settings it still shifts very harsh in all gears. the 2500 stall convertor helped reduce the shift harshness. before at mild accel the tires would bark. with 35's thats a bad thing. now it shifts nice and smooth in all gears at 40% or less tps. going off road is much easier now as i can prevent the tires from spinning at lower throttle. during normal accel it will hoover around 2600-3000 rpm and the suburban will continue to rise in speed rather fast. once the tcc locks up it will drop rpm at 55mph from 3000 ish down to 1800. so it still gets good highway mileage and allows for the tranny to running normal temps at highway speeds. when i go 50% or higher tps it accelerates very very fast for its size and weight. almost to fast. as the 2500 stall puts my blueprint engine right into its mid power range.
    now for the down sides that you will have to live with. the higher stall also meaning higher rpm for normal accel the exhaust sound is much higher. normal city driving it will almost seem sluggish unless you give it enough throttle. heat is a huge factor. i had to upgrade the stock tube style tranny cooler to a 30 plate cooler and use a fan much like that of which most of us use on our intercoolers. with the additional stall you will get more heat build up. the way a torque convertor works is you have 2 turbines. 1 from the crank and the other to the input shaft of the tranny(this works much like a jet engine design) as the crank turbine using fluid pushes the tranny input turbine. with a stall convertor you require more fluid passage to rotate the tranny turbine. the more fluid and higher rpm and due to the laws of psychics you drastically increase heat generation. so long as you have a proper fluid cooling system this will cause no harm to your tranny. if you do not increase your cooling system you will blow the tranny.

if your like me and get a lock up convertor then when your going fast enough for it to lock up it will behave just like a stock convertor during lock up. however with my system i also have complete control over when it locks up, if i even want it to lock up and even to manually lock it into lock up.

now all that being said thats the characteristics of my stall convertor. now when picking yours you should not go by what rpm range that you just want to be in but more what range does your engine produce its highest power band. for example if you power band starts around 3000rpm then you will want about 2500-2800 stall. if it starts around 2000 rpm then at the highest you will want around an 1800 stall. and no thats not usually stock. most stock convertors have around 1350 rpm stall. depending on the application they can also be 1630 and 1850. weight is also a huge factor. smaller cars tend to need less stall. bigger cars, trucks ext tend to need higher stall.

so bottom line, they are fun, they do serve a great purpose but be careful. dont just drop something in and expect the world out of it. make sure you match it to what you have and increase your cooling ability and im sure you will love it.
    Last edited by slowpoke; 06-11-2016 at 01:17 PM.