Magnumpowers guys

Big Cat Davo

Hey guys I have a question or two for those of you that have purchased parts from Magnumpowers. What other charges did you have to pay to get the your blower back into Canada . . . duties, taxes?? Help a canuck out guys lemme know.

Dave

Well, I can say from experience that the entire process is frustrating and inefficient.

Firstly, any items valued at over $1500 Canadian dollars (the blower and inlet alone would qualify) are heald for 5 business days as part of customs procedure. I'm guessing this is used to deter people from sending expensive goods through the mail, which uses a random inspection process.

Secondly, you will pay GST and PST, plus a handling fee when the stuff comes across. The stuff is also heavy and expensive to ship and insure, so brace yourself. If you are getting the entire MP package, expect to spend over $200 in taxes (aka duty).

Lastly, try to convince Bill or Charles to insure the item for its full value, but mark down a remanufactured value also, so that you are taxed on the lower amount. They can attach paperwork stating that the goods were core-supplied, and had work done to them. Also, he should make sure it says "auto parts" and "made in USA" somewhere on the box. This is supposed to help you through a loophole in the trade agreement, damned if I know anything about it though.

What are you ordering exactly?

Dave of the pullies I have shipped out, and been recieved, there was no extra charges. I don't see how we get the phat end of the bat up our azz for the shipping. I shipped all using the Canadain post services, It took all of 7 days. Now on the flip side, I think they use a different service than the US mail.

Also, it cost me more to ship to you(in Al) than to ship to Arizona, go figure.:rolleyes:

I wish there was way around this, but it looks like we get screwed every time.

Ordering

I will be ordering a Magnaport II blower and High Performance Inlet plenum. I will be letting him know what you told me . . . anybody else have any experiences with them . . .

Judging from your signature, you don't seem to have a raised top. Are you ordering one of those also? If not, I would highly recommend it, otherwise you won't be taking full advantage of the MPII blower and inlet.

Do you have bigger injectors to run also?

Let us know,

No and No

Bill, I am hoping to get away with the Stock injectors, at least for a while, then as the mods increase, I will replace them. I was hoping that sticking with the stock top would allow me to use the stock injectors, but if that will not make a difference then I will be going to the raised top. Does anybody have any idea if the raised top will make that big of a difference witht the injector flow rate.

Oh and Bill, how did you pay for yours, Charles was mentioning Pay Pal.

Dave

Last edited:
Well, I paid Bill Evanoff through my Mastercard, but considering Charles may not be a credit card merchant, then PayPal will work out fine. I would suggest you use that if he will allow it.

The raised top is a MUST if you are going to run the MP set-up. It is sort of an all or nothing process. You'd be better to upgrade your MAF, throttle body, and injectors all at the same time. Otherwise, you aren't taking full advantage of what the blower is capable of, and therefore are wasting part of your investment.

Personally, I would not recommend running stock injectors with those parts installed, but that doesn't mean it is an absolute necessity, and that there aren't people out there doing the same thing. This modification is the biggest and most important to performance, producing the most significant results. So now is the time to invest in injectors if you have the money.

Stuff

Well, I was not going to do the MP thing at all thing year, but the blower is growling but good. So It need to be rebuilt. Putting a stock blower back on the car was in my opinion a waste of time. So it was time for the MPII. But then I needed the Inlet plenum. Marcin over at the TBU has some the MAF and TB I was looking at, but it is callibrated for the stock 30#er's. As for the Top, it is something that I figured I could do next two years from now, when I get back from Saudi Arabia. So the whole MP thing just kinda grew out of needing to rebuild the blower.

So at this moment maximzing the setup is not as important as having new blower. The fine tuning, like the injectors and the raised top and Double IC or FMIC, the 90MM MAF and 85 MM TB, as well as a complete rebuild of the motor is for a far later date.

This MP **** is just because I need a rebuild blower and they seem to be the best.

So, do you have any 36 or bigger injectors for sale :D

Dave

A free flowing exhaust also helps. This set-up will give you some more boost. How are your head gaskets?

I agree with Bill. A key consideration is balancing air in, fuel in, and exhaust out. If you don't address these things together, one of the components will impede performance gains. You are looking at upgrading the blower so it's going to try to suck a lot of air, unfortunately through a tiny straw (55mm MAF and <3" intake tube. The engine knows its trying to get more air, and needs more fuel or it will run lean which leads to detonation. This is bad. But you're starving it with puny 30 lb injectors and 95 lph fuel pump. Then it's trying to push the exhaust through a restrictive exhaust manifolds and the various right angle bends around the early style gas tank.

Personally, I don't like the idea of trying to take all the stuff off many times through a piecemeal approach. Too much of a chance to do something wrong, damage a part, etc. Carefully plan what your goals are, accumulate what you need, then install so you don't waste money continually swapping stuff.

I am speaking from experience - almost sound like I know what I am talking about - I've got the full MP set-up but stock heads and other guys are getting better performance because they have had some port work done on their heads. Bill did things in the right order - (1)engine, (2)exhaust, (3)injectors throttlebody maf fuel pump, (4) MP stuff and eec tuner

Good luck.

It is a hobby

Like I said the blower came out of necessity. I need a new one. My exhaust is about as free flowing as you can get with 2.5 to 3 back to 2.5 with no cats, no resonator and dynomax Super turbos. It is not a big concern of mine. The enigne has a few mines on it, but still runs strong, and someday will need to be rebuilt, so be it. Be spending money on a stock blower seemed foolish to me. Low 14's in Calgary, mid 13's anywhere else, and a good highway cruiser is all I want for this car. That is not to say the Injectors and raised top won't be added.

Also, I am well aware that the MP stuff is for Big HP, I was actually thinking of underdriving the blower for the time being . . . but it looks like getting injectors and a raised top and overdriving the thing might be the only way to go.

I am sure that the Pro M 77 MAF and 75MM BBK TB will suit my applications for the time being. It is just taht needing the blower now I figured I would go with the best and let the rest of my setup grow into it, even if it did not mazimize the full potential of the blower/plenum.

Dave

Hey NP

No Problem Steve, I do appreciate all of the input, especially from those of you how have travelled this road before. Anyone else have anything else to offer?

Dave

I just got my MP blower a few weeks ago, I think it cost me an additional $155 CND for taxes etc. I'll check my bill when I get home tonight and let you know, as for the inlet its on route and I'll let you know when it comes in how much it was.
Eric

Chances are that doing the mods in the order you've chosen is going to put you in a position for premature or accelerated head gasket failure. The injectors aren't something that should really be considered a "modification", but rather a support system component. They will be required to support the additional airflow, and thus boost pressure created by your new blower.

I understand you needed a rebuild, so you opted to get the MPII package with rebuild. I don't blame you, because that was an efficient was of doing thing if you knew you were going to buy the MPII anyway. The raised top is a must, so make sure you add that to your order. The stock top is already a major bottleneck in the system, so adding an MPII blower behind it will just back it worse. The blower will end up running hotter, which will make your intake temps hotter, which will result in less power gains (unless you have a FMIC, that is).

I'm glad to see you've picked up a MAF and TB to support the blower upgrade. Those components are as important as the raised top in terms of allowing more volume to pass through the system with less restrictions. I see you've got the fuel pump to support your fuel pressure, so if you end up running the 30#ers, at least you have the pump to back them up.

On a last note about injectors, Jason Wild, a local SCCoO member, can get a set of 42# injectors (6) for a little over $300 Canadian. If you look on any US website, you'll notice that 42#ers generally cost in the $400 USD range, or more. You will have to send your MAF out to be recalibrated, but you could do that while you wait for the injectors to be mailed. I would also suggest you installing everything together, rather than in pieces. All the mods we've talked about will support the blower, and contribute to its capability to create more power to the motor. Do things once, and do it right.

PS. I did exhaust, engine, then mods. (no offense, Steve)

Back