CRAP! I'm in need of a Multi Function Switch CRAP!

Ryan A Harris

Ok so I pick up my car today from the tranny shop. Drive her home without a single trouble. Get out go inside eat dinner. I go back out about an hour later,,,,WTF THE HEAD LIGHTS ARE STILL ON. Ok, I'm a dork, I left the headlight switch on, nope, it was off. CRAP! I start the car, trun on the lights, then shut her down, I have the auto lights, so I wait, and nope they don't go off. I try the hight, beams, yeap they work ALL THE TIME, CRAP! So I disconnect the battery and go to the dyno. I get back, need to rush out to hockey, so not much time. I put the negative terminal back on, the alarm blariing, the lights go right back on, CRAP!

Ok now I run down the list, fog lights, off, CRAP!
head light switch off. CRAP!
CRAP, CRAP!!

So with the car running, the light are normal. Fogs work too. But I shut her down, the high beam swicth comes on, lights stay on. CRAP! CRAP! CRAP!!

Anyone have MFS???? Are they different for the '95's? I have already sold my extra to Ron Young. So, if anyone has one, please I'm needing it ASAP.

Oh yeah, If I pull the switch towards me, nothing happens, the lights stay the same. CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP!

Ryan,

I've got a spare from that '89 that I parted out. I believe it was equipped with the auto dimming head lamps. Wanna give it a try?

Cheers,

Sean

I sure would like to. Maybe we can head out to the meet together? I'll show the blower, and dicuss the outlet side of things too,Or whatever, I'm easy.:rolleyes:

Ryan I have 2 they both have issues the one works only with highbeams the other I believe the running lights are all you get unless you jiggle it arround then the regular lights will come on

the signals and wiper controls work on both of em

let me know if you wanna give em a try.

Ryan, the 94 - 95 switches are a different part number. I don't have an earlier one here to compare the two side-by-side to see what the difference is. BTW, they are only $66.54 + taxes for a new one, quite a bit less than the 89 - 93 style.

cheers
Ed N.

CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP!CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP!

Well all I have left to say is CRAP! CRAP! CRAP!

On my lunch I took off the dash panels to get at the switch. Now once in there, it seems like the switch is ok. I mean, if the MFS was shot, would the turn indicators still work? How about the wipers? Well all that works. So now, I'm left the idea of the switch being ok. The harness for the MFS looks great, no burns or dirt anywhere.

I'm now movine onto the day time running lights. Could it be that module? I have pulled out and removed the dash switch for the head lights, along with the timer switch for the dimmer. Can anyone tell me where the DTRL module is located. I don't have my manual at the shop with me.

PLEASE HELP.

:confused:

The DTRL module is located up in front of the rad support ... roughly in the middle.

We have a plug you can put it the harness going to the DTRL, to bypass that system but still keep the other things wired up to it working properly.

cheers
Ed N.

Does it sound like the DTRL module or the MFS? I hop eot narrow it down before th emmet, this way I can have Ed bring the part I need to get my LIGHTED back up propperly. Any info would be great guys.

fix

hey ryan,

if it's the multi-function switch try fixing it. i've taken the one in my t-bird apart and fixed it without a problem (you'll have a different one, but it's the same principle), all it needed was some solder on each contact to raise the worn area up. i've also done two other mult-function switches for my friend. make sure the contacts are in one piece and clean them.

Stan, thank you. I think it is now the day time running light module. Which is frikkin' hard to locate.:mad: :confused: :confused: . Can someone tell extactly where to look for it. I'm stuck now with no lights, well driving lights that is. I may be chaning the header panel this weekend, but not sure if I have the time too. If I do, with the bumper off, this should be easy to locate, right???

Ryan the DRS module is located in front of the rad, more so to the drivers side. If you open your hood and look down, you might be able to see it in front of the A/C evaporator coil. P.S. If you need amultifunction switch, then E-mail me. The one in my 91 parts car is in good working order, and the car had driving lights too. The DRS module in it is NFG though. The XR-7 had no daytime running lights last year, so I went to try the T-birds and it was toast as well. I had to buy one from Ford for about 100.00. The good news is that the one I got is from another supplier and they are supposed to last longer than the originals that were installed on the assembly line.
Please note that at the time the mechanic installed the new DRS module in the coug, he said a bad module could cause a lot of things to screw up in the electrical system, so this most likely is the case. If you want the DRS Module off my thunderbird you can have it. There are no daytime running lights when the car is on, but everything else works fine. Thats a lot better than having to disconnect your battery everywhere you go.

Last edited:
Ok, I did find the DRL, it was in between the battery and the drivers side cornering lens. I guess with the '94-'95's things are in different spots..:rolleyes:

All I have done is cap the DRL. This did work, I tested it before I took off the headlights.(another story,,,,don't ask) Anyway, I hope this the only problem I have with the DRL.

Thanks to all for the info and help on this

Well, crap, I have a new problem. Now the head lights are fine, but the trun signal lights are going srewy. The right indicator light works fine, but the left one flicks on/off really fast now. This just happened this morning on the way to work. The 4-way flasher are going weird too, the left side works, the right doesn't.

All the fuses are good, the power distubution box is good too. Any leads on where to start now.:confused:

Ryan,

That's usually a symptom of a burned out bulb. ...Take a deep breath, and check the bulbs on the right side of the car.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Sean

Ok, on the outside or interior? The cornering bulbs are new, as are the headlight bulbs. I have a set of 2 indicator lights for inbehind the dash(which I never changed when I had the cluster out,CRAP). The rear tail lights, once I had problem with the left side not working, gave the light a hard tap, worked fine. Maybe I'll start there, then see what happens. Oh, I did the "walk around" with the turn indicators on, all 4 corners work, but as I said, not propperly.

Back