Head Gasket & Engine Work Help Needed... BADLY!!

S

SnoopyLuke

Head Gasket & Engine Work Help Needed... BADLY!!

Firstly, just wanna say that its great to see this board with so many helpfull tips and knowledgeable people, hopefully someone can help me out.

I have a 1990 SC Auto and have had it for about 4-5 years now, but over the past year i've had it sitting in my underground with a Blown Head Gasket :( . I bought the head gasket and valve cover gaskets from FORD back then and was gonna try find a place to get it fix, but I lost my job around the same time it happened. Now that i'm working again I have the funds to do it. My question is, does anyone know of a shop that can do the job and any engine work that will also need to be done at a reasonable price? Or if someone has AMPLE time and likes to do this kinda stuff i'll be more than happy to hand you the task, i'll even pay upfront, just name your price (reasonable):D . I'm in the Scarborough area about 5mins away from The Town Centre.

Cheers & Thanks
SnoopyLuke

Re: Head Gasket & Engine Work Help Needed... BADLY!!

Come to the club meeting today startiing at 11:00AM at Hooters on Keele St North of the 401 just below Finch. There should be a good number of us there and maybe we can help you come up with something.

Just remember...

"Ya get what ya pay for!"

Sometimes there's value in paying the big bucks at a reputable shop. Typically, their work comes with a warranty that they'll stand behind.

I often do work on my SC to save me money, but I recognize that I'll have no one but myself to blame should I do something wrong which results in another part failing. Also, doing this work myself during the evenings or weekends usually means the car is out of commission a lot longer than it would if I took it to a shop.

...just a couple of things for you to consider.

Best regards,

Hey Sean Matteson, those are my thoughts exactly. I WILL be taking it to FORD to have it done, this just means I will have to wait a little longer untill I have enough money. It kills me to walk out the basement in the mornings and to see my car sitting there :(

Anyone know what FORD charges for a job like this?

Cheers,
SnoopyLuke

Depending on the particular dealer's labour rate, you'll probably end up spending around $1200 to $1400 for a head gasket job. Where are you located ? I may be able to steer you towards a dealer in your area that can do a good job for you.

cheers
Ed N.

I'm in the Brimley & Finch area, 5mins away from the Scarborough Town Centre.

Cheers,
SoopyLuke

I believe it's Freeway Ford in Scarberia where Wayne Ing knows a tech. that is familiar with the SC engines. I don't recall the guy's name. Maybe e-mail Wayne directly if he doesn't respond to this, and if you book the car in to the service dept. there, you can request that this certain technician does the work on the car. Then you'll know that somebody capable of doing the job will be on it.

cheers
Ed N.

His name is Campta at Freeway Ford. You'll pay dealer prices but he does know super coupes.

Wow, thanks alot for all the input. I think I recall that name as 1 day I was done there picking up some parts and was shooting the breeze with one of the employees about SC's. He even took me inside and showed my his SC that he was doing some work on. Again, Thanks alot for all your help guys and hopefully I can make it out to one of the SC meets soon. :D

btw, should I scrap my OEM head gaskets for the Fel-Pro's?

Cheers,
SnoopyLuke

SnoopyLuke,

Check over those OEM HG's really close. The gaskets Ford is supplying now for the '94/'95 3.8L Mustangs (and other years too perhaps) are being made for Ford by FelPro. If so, they'll have FelPro stamped in them just like the blue oval Ford symbol. Otherwise, I would recommend using FelPro gaskets, as I have been impressed by the quality of the sets that I have worked with.

Best regards,

Back