Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hey, just got got one...

Hey George,
    Just as a thought: There is a used car lot over on Ohio River Blvd, just north of the 32nd st. bridge, That guy had a Taurus in there for I think it was $250.00, is that cheap enough for your budget? Don't worry if its blown up, I have a full runnig gear set for a Taurus, the whole car as a matter of fact. I have an 86 Taurus with a five speed, the body is shot, but I've got over $1500.00 on new parts in it. Wife wants it out of the yard, and I don't want to give it to a junk yard. If this sounds interesting to you, let me know, it will be worth your time.
    Al Swager
    Butler, Pa

Hey man, thanks for the offer.

I think I have it set what I'm picking up. I want to stick to Chrysler because I have lots of parts for them from my old car and the 2 cars we have here now that we drive... We try to keep a theme, haha.

So I'm hoping for a nice Shadow I found with only 80k on it and no body issues at all. I am hoping to pick it up this week coming up hopefully. We'll see though I guess.

Thanks for the heads up on the Taurus and offering yours as well. It's appreciated!

Unhappy

I'M NEW TO THE SC CLICK MYSELF, WITH MY 89 5 SPD. IT NEEDED A NEW CLUTCH ASSEMBLY.MY FRIEND HAS A SHOP SO WE PUT IT ON HIS LIFT TO DO THE CLUTCH;AND LIKE ALOT OF US, WE'VE PROBABLY GOTTEN THE CAR FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS LET THE CAR SIT OUTSIDE FOR A FEW YEARS.
    I FOUND A LITTLE RUST UNDER MINE ON THE DRIVERS SIDE JUST UNDER THE FOOT PAD. SO FROM UNDERNEATH YOU CAN ONLY GET A FINGER OR TWO INSIDE AND FEEL THE CARPET PADDING.IN THE AREA OF THAT SPOT ,IT LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE HAD SCRAPED SOMETHING PRETTY HARD WHICH MAY HAVE EXPOSED THE METAL ON THE SUB-FRAME;BUT THIS LOOKS LIKE IT MAY BE FROM REPEATED CLIMBING IN AND OUT OF THE CAR IN THE SNOW AND RAIN.
    IF YOU LOOK UNDER YOUR CARPET ON EITHER SIDE;THERE IS A POCKET WHERE WATER MAY SETTLE IN THE SUB-FRAME AREA. KEEP IT DRY. USUALLY THE SOUND DEADENER DOES A PRETTY GOOD JOB OF WATERPROOFING ALONG WITH THE PAINT; BUT YOU NEVER KNOW! MAYBE EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE LEAVE THE FLOOR MATS OUT FOR A FEW DAYS TO LET THINGS DRY OUT.
    I'M GONNA CHECK A LITTLE CLOSER AROUND THE SIDE SKIRTS MYSELF THANKS!
    Last edited by WV.FREEBIRD; 08-15-2003 at 03:55 AM.

i know your pain, i found this under my 93 sc about 2 years ago (1 year after i got it)

those pesky rocker panals are notorious for rotting out..... fortunately for me, my car got keyed... while it pissed me off at the time, it allowed me to take teh car to the body shop and spend $200 per side having new metal welded in... the new metal isnt oem rockers but its steel that is 2-3x thicker than the oem rockers and its only in the areas that were rusted (from the back of the door back to a few inches before the wheelwell) it cost $200 per side, and after a year there is no sign of those panals getting rusty.

before

after

Hmmm, maybe someone will key my car so I can get it to a Body shop that'll weld for me.

I'm putting my car into storage for winter here soon...

I got a new car to drive for school... *Drum roll*

'94 Chrysler Le Baron GTC Convertible...

Only 58k on it, it sat in a garage for some time... It's very clean. A guy at Charap DOdge said it's the cleanest one he's seen since they were new.

My T-Bird now will get my attention as I have attention to give. Got a vacuum leak to fix first, just to get it to storage, but the local Ford Garage said they'd do it cheap for me... They said they'd do it just because I have an SC that's not in horrid shape, haha.

Great pics of the underneath of your car there too! It looks sharp now... I hope to get the majority of mine welded underneath, and then I'm going to hopefully be able to protect it somehow from these damnnable winters up here.

Winter in Pa and a SC to fight the monster.

I have the same problem with mine, the rockers are shot all to Hell. Bought new rockers, just don't have the tools to do the job. But I do have the coating to spray on after the new panels are on.

But for the winter months, I'm going to jack it up on cement blocks keeping it on its tires. I'll spread a tarp under the car, and use the car to keep it in place. Then over the top I'll put a car cover amd tie it down tight after I install the trickel charger to the disconnected battery. I'm planning to cover the promanent parts of the body with nylon furniture padding, then cover the entire package with another tarp tied under the car. Let the wnd blow under it, and the snow pile on top, the 'lil' red scooter is sleeping for the winter. The finish will be protected by the wax job I put on her before starting and the cover pad and the nylon padding to permit air circulation. It should be safe till next April. And did I mention the Decon packs in the car, just in case.

Now if I forgot something, tell me what, I'll consider it, and let you know next year what the success was.

Always,
    Al
    Butler, Pa
    Where winter needs to stand off till the end of January, and spring to start on Feb one. No more of the old nine months of winter and three months of bad sledding!

Fill up your gas tank and add some gas stabilizer to it.
    Try to leave an access into the car so that you can start it up once a week and let it heat up to operating temperature. Push in your defrost button when you do so that your A/C compressor cycles.

Well, my beast is gone for the winter...

Fortunately a woman down the road from me is renting her one spot to me in her garage for $30 a month.

Unfortuantely my car has an anti-freeze leak that, by the Ford Garage, will cost me $1000 about to have fixed because it's a ton of work. I'm hoping my brother will help me do it for a dramatically lower price.

The other unfortunate is that on the ride to fill it up before putting it away I noticed a pretty loud rattle when I would push the clutch in... Whatever the hell THAT is now.

If it isn't one thing it's another, haha.

It's away though, so out of sight out of mind for now...

My dad still threw a caniption over me keeping it just the other day though.