Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to look at a SC with Blown Head Gaskets

Going to look at a SC with Blown Head Gaskets

Last edited by SpaceGhost; 05-05-2003 at 11:15 PM.

See if you can find me a '93 RX-7 with a blown apex seal. Preferably an R1.

Thanks, Vernon

Good call Vernon.

If you find two, let me know also.

Thanks.

Well I thought it was funny.

Look for:
    an abs light that won't go off after a minute, and a brake light that flashes on everytime you stab the brakes. = bad ABS

lack of maintenance, examine the plug wires if they say 1989 on them you know what.

remove the blower belt (18mm wrench) and spin the blower over, since this is an 89 there shouldn't be any play here.

see if the oil pan is resting on the subframe = bad motor mounts

peer down the oil fill spout for gunk

check the coolant condition, should be green and clear, without rust. May just be water since the HGs are blown and they may have been messing with it. If it's water, how long-rust, how cold where you are-freeze cracks

get the front wheels up and try to rock them in and out on top = upper ball-joints/control arms

Vernon

One more thing Space Ghost, is that you in your avatar?

Vernon

Look for collision damage. It's got the cheese grater base model front bumper cover.

Doesn't look like any Super Coupe I've ever seen before. Check to make sure there's a blower under the hood while you're there! Looks like a base model with SC wheels and a ground effects kit installed. JMHO

about the ABS...

I don't want to make any waves, but just because the ABS light or brake light comes on, doesn't really mean the entire ABS is bad. If you have no ABS or BRAKE lights on after first starting the car (the should flash on for a few seconds when the key is turned on), then I would ask to see if the bulbs are in the sockets on the instrument cluster. If the brake pedal is VERY stiff, and the ABS and BRAKE lights flash everytime you hit the brake pedal, then the brake accumulator is shot. The accumulator is easy to replace. It could also be as simple as a bad accumulator pump motor relay, or the pump motor itself.

Good luck,

Phil

Thanks everyone. No, that is Mandy Moore in my avatar.

Hopefully i'll get a SuperCoupe soon

Originally posted by pileit1
    Doesn't look like any Super Coupe I've ever seen before. Check to make sure there's a blower under the hood while you're there! Looks like a base model with SC wheels and a ground effects kit installed. JMHO
    Yea, I will. I noticed it too when I first saw it on Auto Trader

Uh, Phil if any one of those things you mentioned isn't working, the ABS doesn't work which was my point. If the ABS isn't working you have a accident waiting to happen even if the actual brakes are in good shape.

So I guess I should have written it that "If the brake light flashes when you stab the pedal one or more of the components in the ABS is bad but the rest is probably ok but until you diagnose and spend and repair you won't have brakes for **** in a panic stop?" See it's much easyer to say "= ABS is bad".

No big deal I just don't see the reason to try and correct a general statement that is basically a fact. Most newbies don't know enough about the ABS to pinpoint the problem.

Vernon

my light flashes when i push the pedal hard 2 times, I know my accumlator is bad... doesn't make the whole ABS system bad.

Why, does it still work?

Vernon if your talking to me, then its because I got the magical ABS unit just kidding but I suppose its not all the way bad, its probably just not holding as good as it should. I'll get around to replacing it.

Yeah, just do it asap. It'll go all the way out just when some dummy pulls right out in front of you. Believe me when that accumulator gives you won't even be able to stop. You have been warned.

Vernon