Changed bad EGR valve, broke my EGR tube!!!!

phils89sc

I just don't have much luck with my SC!! I just got finished replacing my bad EGR valve on my 89 SC 5spd. The job wasn't all that hard, but then again, I removed the entire supercharger to replace it with a good low-mileage unit w/ stock pulley (the previous owner put a 10% OD pulley on a stock SC!!! What an idiot!). Anyway, I get it all back together, taking my time to make sure everything is right. I reconfigured the PCV system to add the inline "fuel" filter on the PCV hose to help slow oil collection in the SC, tubes, etc.., bypassed the coolant tubes going to the Throttle Body, double checked all my stuff, then started her up. She fired up (alot easier not than with the bad EGR!!!) and seemed to run great, then I heard it with a small blip of the throttle, an exhaust leak!! Of all places, apparently I had broken the EGR pipe from the manifold to the Valve somehow upon removal of the old valve. So, now I have to replace that as well.

Does anyone have a source for the tube? I noticed it had that flex tubing at some point and was wondering if it is possible to repair this, or is a replacement readily available?

I am also getting ready to add the 3.8L Mustang (1995) tube steal headers on my engine. If I get another EGR tube for my 89 SC, will it work with the Mustang Header?

Thanks, any advice and help is always welcome!!

Phil Stocker

Unfortunately Ford is probably your only bet for this part unless you can get creative with a welder (read $$$). The EGR pipe on my '95 broke off down by the exhaust pipe as well some time ago. Aside from being a little annoying it runs okay. Instead of routing exhaust gas into the EGR valve mine routes fresh air :) Not sure if the Mustang pieces have the EGR pickup in the same location or not.

Why Not just.....

Delete the EGR from the eng.??? Some came with it and some did not...I am doing it on my 94...Just an idea...

I got a tube off of my 94 if you are interested in it..

Brad

EGR tube....

I will check around locally today to see what I can find. If I cannot find anything, I will give you a PM or email. Where are you located?

Thanks

Phil

Whatever Whenever...

I am outta SE Washington State...

I don't want anything for it so it is gonna prolly be about the best deal you are gonna find...Just get me some freight cash and it will be off to ya...I dunno but I would guess around 7bux for freight, maybe less...Without the vlv it will weigh damn near nothing...

Anyway....lemme know..

cudaz101@yahoo.com

Brad

I don't think that you actually broke your EGR tube. You either, Kevin. I know because I did the same thing. There is a small tube about 4 to 6 inches in length that connects the EGR tube and the exhaust header together. That little piece runs about $50. I had mine fixed. And I'd suggest getting it fixed. If you don't you have very hot exhaust gasses escaping from your headers directly behind your engine. This *could* cause problems down the line, i.e. vacuum tubes or other wires melting. I'm almost positive that your EGR tubes are intact. I only know this because I had the unfortunate pleasure of the same thing happening. I took it to the mechanic because I had had enough. :) Seriously though, it shouldn't cost too much to get fixed. I think that I paid about $125 or so, (one hours labor and the part) I don't know for sure though because I had some other stuff done at the same time. I'd have to did that receipt out to find out for sure. Hope this helped.

Im allmost positive that the tube from the 94 will not fit the older style egr and they do rot out and start leaking.

Back