Need dimensions on double IC!!! Hey George D!!

Mike Manzo

I need to get the exact dimensions on a double intercooler. Preferibly the one on the (drool) SWB of George Davenport. That looks to be exactly what I am looking to base a project on.

yeah, yeah, I know...duh...double intercooler = double the width, but exact measurements (if available) for custom fabrication would be the most optimal

Also, if you are listening George, what is the IC being held in there with? Did you fabricate some kind of special bracket with the Griffin. I had noticed that the two bolts from the original bellows are not being used and was wondering what is holding the unit in the area next to the radiator.

Please let me know, I am sending a stock unit to an intercooler company and they would like to know how much room they have to grow with the intercooler to optimize it. They will also need to know how this could be mounted to the stock radiator bracket. I'm sure I could rig something using the stock bolt location on the top and clamps on the bottom (of some sort), but with all the perfection oozing out of that car, I wondered how you took care of that..

ANY PICTURES WOULD BE ABSOLUTELY AWESOME

Thanks!!!

- Mike Manzo

I'll have to try and measure it sometime as it uses a larger single Spearco core. But all double intercoolers measure about the same as two stock intercoolers stacked together. It must be the same height for the stock pipes to fit and there is only enough room (once the rubber belows is removed) for about another stock intercooler core depth.

The stock IC is not mounted to the rad. That rad support only has the bellows clipped to it and then its mounted to the IC and provides no suppor for the IC. The IC is supported only by the upper and lower tubes. It is free to move with the engine and cannot be tied to the fixed rad support.

You must remove the bellows for the larger IC to fit that is why I could remove the two bellows mounting upper points on the IC. I had an aluminum duct made that attaches to the rad support and extends out in front into the space left by putting in the shorter AC condenser.

Some Pics

Early engine construction:

P0895sm.jpg

Underneath view, before duct:

P0883sm.jpg

Again from underneath:

P0888sm.jpg

Top shot:

swbengine3.jpg

I could not find a pic with the aluminum duct installed. I'll post if I do.

Radiator pusher...

What do you have that fan hooked up to? I see you have the stock fan, but are you relying on ECT/EEC to turn on the pusher or is that like a perma-cool thermal control unit kind of rig.

I'm looking at the Griffin for myself as well, but would like to include a good pusher fan on top of the stock fan.

Aluminum duct? Are you channeling the air from the front to the IC? I was thinking of a sort of scoop to grab some air from the bottom of the car like I have seen on Grand Nationals, but havent spent much time on the thought

- THANKS AGAIN

- Mike Manzo

OMG....

swbengine3.jpg

That is the most beautiful engine i have seen....*wiping tear from eye*

Did you do all the polishing yourself?

Thanks! I do all the polishing, fortunately most parts are either chrome or stainless with the rad, IC and SC being aluminum!

The duct is in front of the IC and makes sure it gets its share of the air out from. There is a fan on the back of the IC that helps as well. The fan out front is just a Perma-Cool unit I use as a pusher fan for the condenser and rad. Right now it just comes on with the key, but I may hook it up later to come on with the AC.

Back