Wheel Hop..........What is the cure?

edspringer

My 90 Super Cat 5-speed wheel hops. I even have the airbags in the springs and it still wheel hops. My 94 SC Auto does not wheel hop, however, it has 3:73 gears. What do I need to do in the way of springs/shocks or whatever to get the 90 to stop wheel hopping? My original thought is to put 94 SC springs in it if they will fit. Will the Eibach lowering springs cure wheel hop? By the way, my 94 SC's supension is a lot tighter then my 90 Super Cat. I assume this is normal.

Ed Springer

edspringer1@aol.com

90 Black Super Cougar 5-speed: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Upgraded '94 Supercharger, 5% SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Underdrive Pulleys, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats), 3:27 Gears, Ripper Shifter, 73 CL MAF, Magnacore Wires.

94 Red SC Auto: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Underdrive Pulleys, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats), 3:73 Gears, 73 CL MAF, Magnacore Wires, TRANSGO Shift Kit, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler.

maybe can help

did u replace the poly urethane differential bushings ? how about the poly urethane rear knuckle kits ? In my 5spd 91 SC I changed my rear end to a Aluminum F.F.R.P with 373 posi/rear poly urethane knuckle kits/diffential poly urethane bushings/dual air ride coil spring air bags/with bfg 255/50/16 drag radials and noticed a Tremendous difference compared to before..and i want to relocate my battery for more weight in the rear that should help...Do you have 1 coil spring air bag or 2 ? change your rear end gears/battery relocation /get poly urethane bushings/lower pressure in tires ...just some things i thought might help...Alex LaChance

my 94 SC's supension is a lot tighter then my 90 Super Cat
This is not normal. There are many things that will contribute to wheel hop. My car had wheel hop when it was new, so wear is not the *only* cause of wheel hop, but it is one.

First look at all your bushings in the rear. If any are bad replace them first. Replace the diff bushings with poly ones.

Then look at your shocks. Sounds like they need replacing from what you said above.

Once everything above is in order, then there are some other things you can do.

Install a larger rear sway bar. I'd go with 1 1/8 or 1 1/4. No bigger.

You already have airbags, so that is covered.

The 94 springs won't help you any. You could go with a linear rate spring like Tokico or Suspension Technics.

Next gets a little more involved and shouldn't really be necessary. You can replace the rear subframe bushings with solid material, and some have even experimented with a "quad shock" setup, but I wouldn't go there until you make sure that you've covered the other bases.

It also depends on your driving style. If you like "dumping" the clutch then good luck to you. But if you drive pretty sane and are still having issues, then the above recomendations will get you well on your way.

The reason you Cougar hops and the '94 doesn't is probably because the '94 is an Automatic. My car never wheelhopped at all when it was an Auto. When I swapped in the 5-speed (no changes to the suspension ) I started getting the hop bad.

There is a big thread on TBSCEC in the suspension forum where I was discussing my thoughts on wheel hop. And I think there is some info at the end on the quad shop setup.

I wouldn't count on the poly diff bushings to do much, they didn't for me, and they seem to get pounded to a pulp on most cars that have "spirited drivers."

Tires?

Im no expert, but could it be your tires? when i first got my Cougar it had some Firehawks on it. i had horrible wheel hop. now i have Turbo Gt radials and ive never had the tires hop.

just my .02 hope you find a cure

--joel--

Tires will have an effect on it too, as will air pressure. Good point. Unfortunately, there is no "recipe" for no-hop tires. LOL

Secret Recipie: 2 parts Nitto 555R. They hop a lot less than any other tires I've ran.

The stock flywheel is very heavy and tends to overwhelm the drivetrain. If you go to a lighter wheel drivetrain harmonics will lesson and give you more control over what's happening where the rubber meets the road.

Vernon

Rear wheel Hop Hop Hop

Hi I had wheel hop until a few days ago. I picked up some parts from Rich Thomsom at MN12performance.com and the wheel hop is in the past. I have tried air bags and it helped a little, I use the Bridstones Toranza tires and the Patezas I like the Torazas better a little softer but still rated at 170 MPH saleen has the same set up as Rich has for the Mustang, Rich just had it made for the SC or the XR7 I find saleen has many neat things we can do to our cars with a little change to their parts will work many times on ours. Not alway but some. I did find the tires are a tricky deal I just tried diffrent pressures and finally found that for the Toranzas the 245X45X18" the weight recommended is to high try about 30 Psi then when your done racing bring em back to 34 psi even 32 should be fine these tires are thin and low tire inflation can cause premature tire wear. I also find that with the 5 speed and the 2.73 rear verses the 3.27 gear you need to bog first then nail 2nd will hit hard.but you will like the increase in speed and hooking up better. Than with the 273 gear. To bad we could not have a quick change rear end change adapter the 2.73 gears are much better on long trips. But the 3.27 and the 3.55 screem. Automatic 3.73. and extreme 4.10 seems to be the gear for the 1/4 strip. You all know this alredy! but since I saw Alex and Dave giving recomendations I thought I would join the group! :D :D :D ;)
Spinning around the forums

Last edited:
dampening, buy an auto or QUAD SHOCKS, make sure you support the inner quarters where you mount the shocks with welded plate or something, the hop was altered with everything in the book, but gone with the shocks, they keep the wheels from bouncing front to back, the stock shocks stop them bouncing up and down. Umm before you go crazy and do the final assembly make sure your wheels clear the shocks and arent bottomed out when in rebound or compression(TAKE OUT THE SPRING AND MOVE THE CONTROL ARMS) :rolleyes: :confused:

Back