EGR Deletion revisited.. Please help...

phils89sc

I bought a new EGR valve to replace myy defective original on my 89 SC 5 speed. I got the new one on and somehow managed to break the 2" or so section of flexible tubing (why flexible tubing is used on a pipe that does NOT flex is beyond me, I think the designer of this system @ Ford was on crack the day he/she designed it!!).

So last night I am trying with all my might to break loos the pipe fitting from the manifold so I can get the damn pip fixed, but my efforts were in vain. Almost 14 years of heat and rust have pretty much welded this piece of sh@# to the manifold. It was not coming off. I finally said screw it and made a gasket that blocks off the EGR port and bolted the new valve to it.

I guess I did the "EGR deletion", but I read a post when I searched on the subject that says to remove the EGR transducer as well (has the little silicone hose coming from it). My question is, if I leave it on there, it pretty much does nothing when the EGR is deleted, so why take it out? Am i reading too much into this?

So far, today was the first time I have driven my car after all this crap, and I have noticed no problems, no Check Engine lights, etc.

What worries me is that I have emissions testing here where I live, and I my inspection is due this month. I am going to have my new cats (hi flow units) installed and the resonator removed next week as well. What are the odds that my car will pass emissions?

I am also going to be replacing my manifolds with 3.8L stang headers (1995) and the headers have the EGR connection, but I think I am just going to plug it, especially if I pass emissions without the EGR being active.

One more thing, I have a line on a 1992 model EEC processor from a 92 SC 5speed. would it be as simple as changing the pinouts on my harness to match the 92 pinouts to completely eliminate any EGR related codes?

Thanks

Phil Stocker

Having left the EGR connected, you will never get a fault code. I ran mine that way for years.

Regarding emissions, it depends on the testing. You might as well try it, you will likely be ok. The only thing that the EGR affects is NOx percent and places like Ohio don't even test for it.

Try it and see.

It does have an effect on midrange detonation. I had issues with that until I ran a cooler thermostat and cooler spark plugs. No issues since.

Hey Phil, in the process of replacing headgaskets i also broke the flexible (which i agree is not) metal tubing. I patched it with JB Weld but I am still getting CE light and code 31. I also seem to have a loss of horsepower through all rpm's. Just wanted to know how your emissions tests went with the EGR Deleted and high-flow cats (my hi-flo cats should be here tomorrow). Also if you have any tips on the HP loss problem.

EGR deletion....

Since I have disabled the EGR valve setup, I have had NO check engine light come on at all. Only time I get a code is when I test for them and it is a code 32 or 34. I don't believe they test for NOx emissions where I live, so my SC passed with flying colors.

Phil

i did it

i believe it was you phil that i talked to about blocking off the egr. my egr was getting stuck and here in michigan i don't have emissions so i wasn't about to replace it. so instead i just made a plate and put it in between the egr and intake. car runs great and no check engine light. thanks for the idea phil.
thanks, rob

just wanted to let you or anyone know that the code 31 was from the EGR Transducer not being connected ( the black tube was connected but not the electric plug) Hopefully when i get the new hi-flo cats put on all perfomance issues will be gone.

Back