Arizona SC Recommended Mechanics

plev72

Please make this a sticky, or rewrite it and make that a sticky ;-)

So many choices, but so few real answers. Most of us sooner or later are going to need to seek outside help in getter our SCs repaired. Ideally, this repair will not involve putting the broken down sc on a trailer and towing it to a mechanic or a knowledgable party in another state. That being said, who have you folks used in the past and who do you recommend to do work on your SC. I'm not particularly talking engine oil change, but if you needed major work / rebuild done, or needed some custom work done, who do you recommend? And contact info if you've got it.

Bromley Performance - just west of the Chandler mall.
Phone: 480.390.2652
One man shop, says he charges a shop rate of $35/hour.

He does good weld work, had him do my cat back. Has a mandrel bending machine. Also had him weld on subframe connectors, unfortunately to get to the gas tank to change out the fuel pump, the subframe connectors must be cut. Had him do my custom "ram air" intake. Looks quite nice.

My only caution is that he has a habit of saying "yes yes yes" fairly easily... and then as he usually does corvettes and not SCs determines that he really can't follow through (or decides he has another project that needs working on). That's why my engine and transmission mounts haven't been put in the car.

Last edited:
The SCCOA recommendation...... i have not used them.

Sports Car Service Center
1245 E Curry Rd.
Tempe, AZ 85281
(480) 966-6061

Owner/Father: Tony Ritz
Service Manager: Joe Ritz
My SC Mechanic: Pat Ritz (the other mechanics are very good as well)

This shop is a family affair that has been in existence since the late 60's. It is well known by car enthusiasts so they are usually quite busy. From my experience there is no other shop I would trust more or that would be able to do a better job in the Phoenix area. They work on cars of all makes/models and eras not just "Sports Car's." However as the name of the shop implies, they specialize in sports cars and are able to handle complex exotics that mechanics at other shops would have no idea how to handle. The shop labor rate is $60.

Submitted by: Mark Hasenyager mark@inttechcorp.com

Mazvo
4610 n 7th st
7th st & highland
specializing in Mazda and Volvo
owners: Mike and Shawn

Two very cool and caring guys these are, not a high perf. shop and i doubt they would be into building engines....but for repairs i can say i highly reccomend them. They have done pretty extensive work on my SC including tranny rebuild, the dreaded plug changes and power steering pump repl. with great results.
Not sure what their labor rate is, but i'm a cheap bastard so it's got to be reasonable, and best of all they understand the SC.

(602) 248-8711

If you go tell them Jeff sent you .

Just a heads up to those of you looking to have major work done in the Phoenix area. My car has been at sports car since May of last year. A large part of this (up through December at least) has been my collecting parts. I was promised that the engine would be done back in December, but first one mechanic was sick then there was another reason. Currently I've been waiting over 5 weeks for decent flow numbers so I can get the tuner program. All they were able to give me (and this was 2 weeks ago) were two flow numbers: 230 @ 550 intake and 161 @ 550 exhaust. I informed them that I did not think this would meet flow requirements for horsepower goals. I'm still waiting for a response as well as the complete flow numbers. Monday of this week I sent them a fairly extensive email reiterating the goals that I'd stated in the beginning, reminding them that currently they have $4600 of my money + the car + a few thousand in parts, and that I have nothing to show for it. I told them that I was aware that they are a busy shop, but that I was bothered by the fact that they never call back when they say they will and that I would appreciate a comprehensive e-mail response no later than COB today, to include the full flow numbers (now over 5 weeks past due) as well as a progress report and (now that they have or should have all of the parts) an estimated date of completion. The only response I got was at about 16:30 today they left a message on my voicemail that said "call us."

I will provide an update as to the status of my vehicle once I have it.
Paul

They still have your car! Holy Sh**! I'm thinking a call to the BB is in order.Anythin since your last post? :eek:

I have been promised by today (which has already gone by) or tomorrow (Wednesday) a comprehensive timeline for completion of the vehicle...

:-/

help me

i need help finding a mechanic or someone who will work on the motor mounts of my '92. i've had too many people get scared when they look under the hood. (it's called intimidation) and i don't feel this is a repair that i can do on my own.
so, pleeeeeaaasssse help a girl out!!!
thanks,
Lara:)

yowzasc said:
i need help finding a mechanic or someone who will work on the motor mounts of my '92. i've had too many people get scared when they look under the hood. (it's called intimidation) and i don't feel this is a repair that i can do on my own.
so, pleeeeeaaasssse help a girl out!!!
thanks,
Lara:)
What part of AZ are you in? If you are in the Phoenix area, especially anywhere close to the east valley, I'm a mechanic and working on mine has given me a little knowledge and confidence in working on it. I would be willing to use your car as a test subject ;) since I have to replace the ones in my car too. The shop I work in is located at the 101 and Rio Salado. Let me know if you are interested in having me do it and I'll give you more information as to where I'm at.

What Else??

Do you do anything else.(Headgaskets???) :confused: lol. It's nice to know thre's someone working for the "SC". Good luck with the mounts. :D

Thomas Carroll said:
Do you do anything else.(Headgaskets???) :confused: lol. It's nice to know thre's someone working for the "SC". Good luck with the mounts. :D
Well, so far my experience on the SC is doing the valve cover gaskets, plugs, wires, radiator. So I had to have the supercharger off and most of the stuff on the front of the engine. I may be willing to try headgaskets if necessary. There is another guy that works with me that used to work at a Ford dealership so he could help me with the stuff I'm learning on. If your willing to let me try I'd be willing. I guess for anyone who wants to give me a shot here's the address and shop name where I work:

Shuman's Auto Clinic
235 S. Siesta Ln.
Tempe, AZ 85281
Phone: 480-894-2165
We have a pretty decent group of guys working there so everyone is welcome to bring anything you want worked on. :cool:

Will any of you be at the Pavilions tomorrow night (5/22)???
And I am definitely interested in having you, (SC92), look at my car. I'll be happy to get it fixed. :)

I can't make it on the 22nd :( , but I will be in town on the 12th,if anyone is available to hang out.I'm in the military in another state,but hey what can you do :rolleyes: . Definitly will be checking out the shop though.Sounds like a plan. :)

I don't know if I'll be able to make it or not and even if I do go I won't be putting the car in the show. Needs too many little things right now for me to feel comfortable showing it. But if I'm there and see any SC's I'll be sure to strike up a conversation. Hopefully I'll be there.

tonight at the pavillions

YEA if you are going out take the bird, give me a call and ill meet ya out there with my bird and we can rep. I got hooked up with three other birds last sat night, a 90, my 91, an 93 and at the end of the show a guy pulls up in a 94 i counldnt believe it. Thomas, we could use you and your 92, because one row behind us was team pontiac with about 15 or so trans ams. At least this would make us 5 strong rep. AZ like I said if any of you guy are going out tonight, let me know i will be willing to rep. with you.

thank you

just a quick thank you to Chris and the guys at Schuman's Auto Clinic. great job on my motor mounts. i am very happy to have them fixed.

yowzasc said:
just a quick thank you to Chris and the guys at Schuman's Auto Clinic. great job on my motor mounts. i am very happy to have them fixed.
Glad you're happy with it. I noticed a huge difference in the way the car felt afterward. Happy to be of service.

For People looking for a Super Coupe Mechanic In Arizona I know one in Phoenix AZ its called auto air and more they have fixed my super coupe about 5 times now. Lets me tell you they do a damn Good job and dont take long ti fix it either so if you want the number call me 602-740-5528 ask for Prick thats my nick and its m
y cell

My Buddie Rick Hes very Good at working on the super coupes, He helped me get alot done if ya need his info hit me up on pm and ill give ya the number

SC Mechanics

If you're in Tucson, try Bud Shove at ET Automotive (they're listed). Without him, I'd have put my Anniversary car to sleep long ago. Small private shop in the southwest side of town -- he used to build sprint cars. So far, there isn't anything on my SC that has stumped him...

Don Pelley

Back