Exhaust setup, PLEASE HELP???

studpike

Hi, I am trying to make up my mind on what kind of exhaust setup to put on my stock '91 SC that will lead to future mods on engine(mac cai, bigger maf, raised blower top, etc..). I am looking for a throaty sound and increased horsepower, but i don't want it to sound like a honda or not be able to hear my stereo up loud. I have spent hours and hours reading threads about what sounds best, I am looking for some input from you guys about my car. Does a Magnaflow resonator and 2 Flowmaster 40 series sound good? All input and part #'s are appreciated. Thanks, Tony
'91 & '92 Auto SC's

Last edited:
Unless someone has exactly what you propose, its hard to know if that's good or bad.

Certainly, the magnaflow resonator is good if you want to keep it quiet. You didn't say what your budget is, but I would start at the exhaust manifolds.

Find a good exhaust shop and have them make new 2.25" down tubes with new high flow cats into your magnaflow resonator. Then a single 3" pipe out of the resonator to the rear where you Y- off into your mufflers of choice. The physically longer the muffler, the lower the tone of the exhaust.

I don't think anyone has had anything bad to say about the flowmaster units.

I have read alot on this subject and here's what I'm going to have done. Yes..."going to have done"....I don't have it done yet, so take this with a grain of salt. Get your exhaust manifolds ported first of all. Then go 2.25" (or 2.50" if you can get it to work) into a Magnaflow resonator. Forget cats unless you have emissions. Then have a 3.00" center section and a 2.50" Y-pipe in the rear. This is where its up to you....I'm going to try no mufflers at all and see what it sounds like. If I don't like it I'll probably throw on some Dynomax or Flowmaster mufflers. I'm on a budget and if I can delete cats and mufflers it helps out tremendously. Just something to think of. You could easily have a very expensive exhaust once you buy cats, resonator, mufflers...not to mention all your pipes.

Budget

Hi guys, my budget for the exhaust setup is $800 if this helps in your input. I am checking 3 times a day to see your thoughts. Thanks, Tony

(shameless plug mode ON)

Install ported manifolds...

man_pair16.jpg

Install 2-1/4" downtubes...

downtubes5846.jpg

Install custom resonator...
man_pair1.jpg

oh wait, I ain't got that far...yet!

(shameless plug mode OFF)

:)

'bird

Magnaflow and Flowmaster ??

Not too loud, good flow , sets off car alarms in parking garages.
fun.

Jeff

I just got my headers!!! I'm still waiting for the rest of my exhaust currently in shipping... I ordered everything from SCP: Kooks headers, down tubes with high flow cats, and the catback system. I will be posting more pictures and info when I have all of the parts and after they are all installed. BTW.. I'm looking at $2,000 for all parts and installation.

Attachments

• headers_01.jpg
    headers_01.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 307
What else would I need?

Hi Guys, what else would I need if I were to get a Magnaflow resonator and 2 Flowmaster Delta 40 series'? Would I just need new downpipes to complete my exhaust system and ready for installation? Thanks for everyone's help on this, Tony

If you want a resonator and 2 mufflers, then you may want to consider the SCP cat-back system. It uses larger diameter pipes with smoother bends to reduce the exhaust restriction.
http://www.supercoupeperformance.com/exsys.htm
If you dont like the mufflers they use in the system, then maybe you can work that out with them and have them deduct it from the cat-back, and you can buy your own and have them installed with the SCP cat-back. I just ordered it to go along with my setup, and hopefully will get it all installed soon.

Well , that's the big dollar way to go ! Studpike , do you have to have Cat converters where you are at ?? If you don't then just assemble your parts and go to an exhaust shop and have them weld it all together and just delete the cats altogether. If you have to have them , then you can add high flow cats to the list. The exhaust shop will have all of the adapters and piping to hook it up, but i guess the question is now '"what are your plans for your car" ? If you are going for ultimate performance , then do the downtubes as well, if your just trying to open up the exhaust,hold off the HG monster, and bolt on some fun stuff then go cat-back . Get your cats (or not , if not needed) your Res and your muffs and you should be able to get a shop to chop out the old stuff and install the new for 2-300 bucks. If you got money to burn then i guess you can look at the SCP system, downtubes, headers and build yourself a dragster :D Fun !

Back