Coolant hoses on throttle body? What are they for

phils89sc

I remember my 88 Stang 5.0 had these and when I bypassed them, it ran crappy!! I hooked them back up and it ran great! I was thinking about trying this on my 89 SC to see what happens. What exactly is the purpose? To preheat the air charge or something? Better fuel mileage with them hooked up?

Please let me know.

Thanks

Phil

ya ive been wondeign the same thing, i have them also and i wanna get rid of them ..... what the hell are they there for?

ummm.........why do you wanna get rid of them? especially if you dont know what they are for? some Ford's have an EGR cooler but not all SC's have EGR, but in any case i wouldn't mess with it, what are they hurting? I think it has something to do with cold startup but i'm not 100 percent sure.

I guess there are a lot of early models falling into the hands of those who can't leave well enough alone. About time! It's just there's been a bunch of this subject lately.

Anyways the coolant is circulated though the throttle bodys to prevent ice from forming on it during the winter in colder climates. If you drove at a steady highway speed long enough the ice could build up enough to choke of airflow altogether and stall the engine until it thaws. At least that's what the book says, I live in Texas and don't know anything about all that. I bypassed mine as soon as I saw it and reduced air charge temps. Never noticed any drawbacks, if anything it improved things. '91 and up doesn't have them so were they ever necessary?

I dug through a box and found a double nipple hose splice to join the two hose ends together below the throttle body.

Vernon

Back