Head porting

SCCOA5

A tale of woe! I need to locate someone or a facility in the Detroit area that ports heads and can do it quickly. I missed bringing my SC to Carlisle last year because the engine was out due to two "mechanics" test driving my ' Bird after installing a water pump and threw TWO rods through both sides of the block. With another block, bored and decked, the engine was rebuilt using a Dr. Fred cam, ported and polished heads, and most of the other goodies available to go fast, and it did! I put it up for the winter. When I got it out in March something was not right. It had a BAD miss. To make a long story a little shorter, combustion gas in the coolent. Out came the engine. Start from scratch, again. The builder will not, because it is under warentee, reuse the old heads. He will, however, give me a set of heads to me to be ported. Therefore, because of tine I need a local "porter", or once again I will be at Carlisle with no 'bird.

Are the heads warped or cracked? Surely it would be cheaper to pressure test and resurface them than to get two new heads and start from scratch - cheaper for you AND cheaper for him. I don't get it. And what happens to your old heads? If you get them back then maybe it's an OK deal, otherwise I would flatly refuse. Why should the builder get a set of heads that you've just put maybe $600 or more into? Hope you get it worked out.

Back