Ok boys and girls Any suggestions ?

Kobassa Power

When I changed my winter tires and rims to the summers units, there was an up/down movement in the rear passenger side wheel. Thinking that this was over my head , I took the car to Dixie Ford for service . They said that they tightened up the bushing $100. As I drove away I heard a continuous squeel. I returned to have this looked at by the Ford mechanic wasn't available. SO I returned the next morning. They lubed the caliper and said that there might be a problem with the hub assembly and bushing.

So then I took it to CDN tire and they suggested pads machining rotors and caliper service. I agreed to the pads for now and they charged $190 for the pads and time. I again returned as the squeel was still there . They gave me another $200 worth of suggestions and could not guarantee that the noise would go away.

So I emailed the management at Dixieford and explained the situation. They had me come in again today for a second look. The asst service manager verified that there is a problem with the hub assembly and bushings and possibly rotor at an estimate of 600 + tax for one wheel.

ANy suggestions? Besides turning the radio up louder ?

The squeek goes away after applying the brake.

I don't know much about the suspension components myself, but the up and down movement sounds like a wheel bearing.

I'd be putting your foot down, because it sounds like you are getting the run-around, and wasting money in the process.

Keep us posted!

In my case, I've got 'up and down' movement on the knuckle on the driver side, but it's not the bearing. It's actually a badly worn inner upper control arm bushing. I've already got the replacement parts, and when everything is apart to install the polyurethane rear knuckle bushing kit, then it will get done.

Judging by the sound yours is creating, I'd have to agree with Bill, in that you've probably got some sort of problem associated with the wheel bearing.

By the sound of your experience, I'd say these guys are all takin' you for a ride. I'd strongly suggest that you post here next time before you take the car into the shop. If nothing else, it will give you a chance to see if anyone else's car has suffered from a similar problem, and the possible causes.

Best regards,

Sean

Remove the rear wheel, spin the hub, try to wiggle it to check for play. You should be able to track down the problem with relative ease.

Here we go. This sounds too familiar. Can't find the exact problem, but everyone will sell you parts to "fix" it. I agree with the wheel bearing syndrome, but only to a point. Does this problem go away with the first application of braking, or does it arise again after continuous driving? Hot or cold weather only? If the wheel bearings were suspect then follow Sabby's directions. A dead giveaway of wheel bearings is a grinding noise (low pitch) during cornering at "normal" city driving speeds. Not always, but usually.
If the "squeal" is still an issue after the work you had done I would suspect a sticking brake caliper/parking brake. Just because the pads were changed doesn't mean the calipers were good.

p.s. - coming out to a meet with the car, we can always check it out then.

Last edited:
(They) Can't find the exact problem, but everyone will sell you parts to "fix" it.
ROFL!... There is sooo much wisdom in this! Good one Andrew.

All too often shops expect the customer to pay for their "guesses". Any shop that makes suggestions on what I should "replace" instead of detailing the problem (or problems) scares me.

The first time I had a rear wheel bearing fail, it squealed exactly like brakes would. I was convinced it was brakes too and brought it to two different shops (multiple times) looking for the problem. I got new pads too! (among other things) Turned out it WAS the bearings but no-one diagnosed it properly. Now, to be fair, when you jacked the car up you could not detect any side-to-side or up&down play in the wheel, and it would spin smoothly also.

The second time I had a rear wheel bearing go (which was just a little over 2 months ago), it made a distinct grinding noise, the car handling got sloppy, and when jacked up you could detect play in the wheel... easy diagnosis this time. I had the bearings replaced at Whiteoaks Ford (Mavis rd.) for $390, taxes included.

Most of the time you don't need a new hub. The bearings themselves are replaceable, however they have to be pressed in/out. If you do have bad bearings and let it go too long you will damage the knuckle and that will add some extra cost!

Here's my guess as to whats going on.. that 'bushing' they tightened was probably the hub nut (you stated you could detect play in the wheel and they probably discovered that too). Once that was tightened, all the play was eliminated and now the worn bearings are squealing.

One other observation: I've never heard ANY rubber bushings squeal, worn or not! I'd be very wary of getting any more work done at that dealership.

Paul93SC said:
...I'd be very wary of getting any more work done at that dealership.

I think you mean "stealership", don't you, Paul?

There aren't many knowledgeable mechanics when it comes to SC's, unfortunately, and that's the case even at most Ford dealerships!

If I'm going to pay for someone's guesses, I'd just as soon they be my own. At least that way I'm not payin' someone else for their time. It's amazing how much more I can justify spending in parts when you cut out the labour factor.

Regards,

Sean

Labour

Exactly Sean,I have a friend who helps me with my car.He is a mechanic and both of the guys there have both owned Supercoupes,that helps alot too.Most of the time i use his garage for my work,and i help him with electrical and with his race car.

Back