Cooling Fan Failure. Possible causes?

Mike8675309

I noticed my engine running a bit warm last fall, and again this spring. So i finally bothered to turn my A/C on and watched for the fan to see if it was running.

It wasn't. Hmmm, so I cut the #14 wire on the IRCM and my fan now runs when the ignition is turned on.

Thus the question. What might have failed that causes the engine fan to run with the #14 wire cut, but not when the A/C is on? A relay for the A/C clutch?

thanks.

There is a low freon pressure switch which locks out the compressor clutch and thus the fan if there is too little freon in the system as a fail safe for the compressor. Sure the clutch was picking up and the fan was not?

A/C doesn't work. I pulled the plug off the compressor clutch after I purchased the car 4 years ago so as not to damage anything. At that time it was supposidly functional the year before I purchased it. I had a can of R-12 recharge that I dumped into it, but it never did work.

So all I was doing was turning the A/C on. Perhaps that sensor is functional, and my system is empty right now.

Thanks.

Hello

Hello,
Which wire is the #14 wire?
What color is it?
Did you just clip the wire and cap it off?
So, does the low speed or high speed come on with the ignition?
Thanks,
D Rainer

Sorry but I can't be certain of the color. I believe it had an orange stripe. The books says it's Tan with an Orange stripe. It was dirty, so I suppose it could have been tan. The connector is labeled with the numbers. #14 is then second one in from one end of the connector.

Just pull your air box cover off and push it out of the way. Then use a 8mm socket to loosen the nut on the connector and pull it back. Using a flashlight identify the wire and follow it through the wire retaining cage until you can track down where it enters the harness. Midway between the harness and the connector, cut the wire.

I just placed wire nuts on the ends of the wires for now. This weekend I'll try and track down various parts to wire it up proper with a thermostatic switch and relays.

This mod forces the low speed fan to run whenever the ignition is on.

This is wire #14 on the integrated relay unit which is just in front of the air cleaner housing on the passenger side near the front.

Back