Learning stick on SC?

D

DylanDogg

Learning stick on SC?

Ok I'm gonna ask this question at the risk of sounding like a complete newbie and an idiot. :) How easy is it to learn driving standard on a T-bird SC 5 spd.? I do have some experience driving stick but very little. I've always driven automatic but I plan on getting a 5 spd. beacause of the lower maintenance costs and cause it's faster and more responsive. Did anyone else have the same experience of learning stick on an SC? How was it?
Thanks and please don't laugh :)

Re: Learning stick on SC?

Dylan,

If your options are to learn stick on an SC or buy an AOD. All I have to say is LEARN!!!

I would have to say these cars are harder to learn on because of the low end torque. There is a fine line between bogging it down, and spinning the tires. I learned to drive stick on a SC. Don't let it stop you because it's a little tougher. It doesn't take long to figure out how to drive these cars.

Thanks guys. The first stick I ever drove was my friends 87 5.0 and I could manage it somehow. I then drove a Tempo and had no problems. I guess the SC shouldn't give me that much trouble.

If you could drive the 5.0 stick, you'll probably be OK. The SC sticks do have a pretty heavy clutch and shifter. I had tried to teach my ex-girlfriend to drive standard on my car, she didn't have any previous experience with that. It didn't go so well, we aborted after a few tries, I was fearing for my poor clutch !!

cheers
Ed N.

Hey Ed. You not in the office today? I tried calling you. Send me an email so I can have your email.

these cars are by far the most difficult standard that I have ever driven but it does not take long to get used to it. I mean hell, I still stall mine once in a while (as I bow my head in shame).

Good luck!

Hi Kirk, you have mail, as long as the e-mail addy in your profile is actually yours !!

cheers
Ed N.

Is a SuperCoupe a good car to learn stick shifting?
It is a FANTASTIC care to learn to shift on! Why?

Well, the strong low rpm torque and wide gear spread, combined with a modest clutch pressure and a really only slightly notchy floor shift make it easy to start away, reletively RPM insensitive, easy to clutch and easy to tell what gears you are in.

I learned to drive on a non-syncro Massey Fergusson 4 speed crash box that didn't even have the gears in the familiar "H" pattern. Once you were rolling double clutching was the order of the day and always involved a little grinding.

Only slightly better was the "mystery shifter" in the pickups and the cars of the time. "3 on the tree" was a wobbly post sticking out of the right side of the steering column. It always had 4 positions and about 4" of slop in every direction. In the worst of them, the linkage rods got wore and they would tend to lock in 2 gears, solidly binding up unless you climbed underneath to wiggle one of the rods free. This of course always happened in the rain. I suppose this is one of the reasons lowered cars were not popular back then...

The old 1950's Jeeps they still had in the Army had a pretty good shifter and a heavy but not bad clutch. 2nd and 3rd were syncronized, but 1st wasn't. That combined with an absolutely gutless engine made hillclimbing very difficult. If you couldn't make it in 2nd, you generally had to roll back down the hill and try it redlined in 1st. Some of us used our Massey Fergusson experience to double clutch it in with a hateful KRUNCH.

The Ford Toploader was the transmission of legend back then. I had several cars with it. While it was legendary strong, it was never a legendary good shifter. Downshifting was always balky once the syncros polished up. The shifters loosend up with time and abuse, and new bushings were a constant spring ritual. A friend taught me to drag race shift thus:
"Brace your right foot hard down on the gas and don't let off it unless you win or the engine blows. When the engine nears redline, put all the force you can on the shifter. It'll stay locked in gear until you hammer the clutch as quick as you can. If you have a good pull on the shifter, you'll be in the next gear and spinning."

The Japanese cars really spoiled us for what a manual transmission should shift like. Back around 1980 there were darned few American V8s with 5speeds, so I planned on rectifying that. I put a Toyota Celica 5speed behind a hopped up 289 in my 1978 Merc Zepher Z7. While it shifted nice, that cammed up, flywheel lightened engine was a nightmare to get started away. The engine barely idled at 1000-1200 rpm and made no power to speak of below 3500 rpm, at which point it was like someone hit a light switch and it would open in a tire shredding roar. Even with 3.50 gears and a 3.25 first it would barely start away without stalling. As it got rolling, with little warning it would explode in rpm like it had just hit a patch of ice. Fun when you wanted to, but tedious to live with constantly.

My kids learned to drive on an old Suzuki 4x4 we beat on the back lot. With that experience my daughter had no problem making the jump to the SVO 5 speed. With the boggy bottom end of a low compression turbo 4, it takes concentration to get started away. Even more to get started away fast into traffic or on a hill. With the strong low rpm torque the SC will be a breeze to learn on.

Thanks for the extremely useful info. You sure have a lot of experience with cars and different transmissions. You gave me more confidence to go out and buy a 5 spd. SC when I save up. I can't wait :) Thanks.

Back