Swapping EEC and having ....

okcbird

Putting a 4R70W behind the 1991 5.0 TBird, using a 94/95 Mustang GT EEC.
95% of the pins are in the same place, the one's that are not used on the '91 EEC are the spots left open for the transmission controls for the 94/95 EEC. The problem is there are a few outputs from the 91 EEC that have no place to go on the 94/95 and there are a few outputs coming from the 94/95 EEC that I have no where to put for the 91 engine/setup. I'll explain this in detail:

Outputs/Inputs 1991 EEC has that 94/95 EEC does not:

Pin 30 - Circuit 32 (R/LB) - Neutral Drive Switch Input (NDS)
Pin 31 - Circuit 100 (W/R) - Thermactor Air Diverter (TAD) Output
Pin 32 - Circuit 836 (O/W) - Programmable Ride Control Output
Pin 34 - Circuit 305 (LB/PK) - Data Output Line (Fuel Flow)

Outputs/Inputs 1994/95 EEC has that 91 EEC does not (aside from trans functions):

Pin 31 - Circuit 190 (W/O) - Secondary Air Injection Bypass (AIRB) Solenoid
Pin 32 - Circuit 039 (LG/P) - High Fan Control (this isn't needed but not sure if it will throw a code if nothing is connected to this pin)
Pin 34 - Circuit 200 (BR) - Secondary Air Injection Diverter (AIRD) Solenoid
Pin 42 - Circuit 883 (PK/LB) - A/C High Pressure Switch
Pin 55 - Circuit 228 (DB) - Low Fan Control (again, this isn't needed but not sure if it will throw a code if nothing is connected to this pin)

Anyone have any ideas on some of this, if it's in the first list it's a bigger deal because I'm going to need something that tells or receives those functions (or maybe not) in the second case it's more an issue of throwing codes or it telling another part of the engine to function a certain way because it doesn't see the input it wants.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
J. Turmel

I think you have more of a mess than it's worth considering you could run the tranny better with a Baumann Engineering stand alone computer and retain the correct EEC.

Vernon

Vernon said:
I think you have more of a mess than it's worth considering you could run the tranny better with a Baumann Engineering stand alone computer and retain the correct EEC.

Vernon

NO! NO! NO! NO!

NOBODY should think of using the Baumannator on an SC! It will kill the 4R70W quick!

I destroyed my trans in less than 30 miles of driving with it. Kurt K. of St Louis went through I beleive 3 rebuilt 4R70W's before just going with a built AOD.

I e-mailed J.W. on the subject. He replied that basically the Baumannator is a royal P.O.S. It determines line pressure based only on throttle position. The Ford EEC does not, it only varies line pressure during shifts, to adjust shift feel, then ramps the pressure up while in gear. So at light cruise, light throttle, the Baumannator drops line pressure and lets the trans slip.

This seems to be a problem with SC's due to the HIGH torque our engine makes at relatively low RPM, and light throttle.

I called Bauman Engineering about it, they were useless. I called Alternative Auto, the supposed experts on installing Baumannators around here. The guy I talked with (I think it was the owner) was a completely arrogant JackASs, who Doesn't know Diddly about Fords unless there is a horse on the front.

So I am going with experience, mIne and the only other person to try it, and the word of J.W. don't put a Baumannator in an SC.

Sorry for the rant, but that whole episode was a rather expensive situation, and is still a touchy subject with me.

Thanks for the "rant" Andy, I've read your posts for long enough now that I know to trust you. I didn't know people with lots of low end torque have had that much trouble with them. The poster has non-SC, 5.0 T-bird though, would it work for him? I bought one for my '83 3.8 Mustang so I could run a 4R70W in it. But I haven't got to that prodject yet. I haven't heard bad things about them on Corral but I don't read the supercharged forum over there. I've read your posts a couple of times and it seems you're saying they won't work on a motor with lots of low end torque at low throttle angles, that and in a heavy car. So what is your opinion on this combination, try to be objective because as I said I already bought the thing.

1983 Mustang GLX Vert that weighs about 2900 fully dressed with driver. If I do this it will be running a 99+ 4R70W with a 3.73 rear axle.

3.8 four barrel engine with max torque about 250 around 3-4K and HP of about 230 around 5400.

I would be using a B&M 3000 RPM stall lock-up converter with it which I also already have bought.

Vernon

Vernon, I already e-mailed you, but for the benifit of everyone else....

I can't really say. There does seem to be quite a number of folks with 5.0L Mustangs who are using this with no problems. I guess I overlooked that this 'bird in question was a 5.0L. It may have worked for him. It may work for your 3.8L mustang. Lighter car is a bonus, naturally aspirated is a bonus, I WOULD say that a carbed 3.8L is a bonus too, but in your hands....who knows how much power we might be talking. ;)

What I came to understand is the entire basis for the Baumannator is to make the line pressure a function of the TPS signal. The torque an SC engine makes at a certain TPS is not necessarily the same as what a 5.0L makes at that TPS reading, built or not (unless we are talking a Kenne Belle.) You can adjust the rate at which line pressure follows TPS to a point. I adjusted mine much higher than the factory programming. I figured if the pressure was too high, causing overly hard shifts, I would back it down later. I never got the chance.

The Baumannator is designed based on assumptions. Assumptions that are valid for a typical 5.0L Mustang are not true for us. (sort of like the mustangers around here that tell me my SC will "really wake up once I upgrade to 24Lb injectors" or that certain rod must be good enough for our little V6, after all they live just fine in 400 HP V8's) This thing might work wonderfully in a 600 HP 347 based Mustang, as Baumann is likely to brag. But is that Mustang making 600 HP all the time? It is likely only at WOT and after about 5000 RPM. Less than 1/2 Throttle it might even be making less power than stock 5.0Ls.

How much torque is that 600 HP engine making in typical, everyday driving? Say 1,800 RPM and 1/4 throttle? Probably not much nearly as much as a stock SC engine. So the Baumannator thinks "low throttle, low RPM = low torque, drop the line pressure" and the SC engine is making much more torque than is expected, so the trans slips since there isn't enough pressure to hold it.

Last edited:
Back