AOD in my 35th started to slip in O/D so I......

Mike Puckett

SCCoA Member
tried pulling out the TV cable a couple of notches. Well it shifted firmer but made it slip even worse. I pulled off the interstate and pushed it back where it was and then in one notch. Well that helped a lot but it would still slip a little going uphill if I accelerated. Then I bought a bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix that's supposed help slipping. Well that really helped a lot but I could still force it to slip after the tranny heated up. Next I bought a filter and pan gasket and changed it, what a mess. The old filter was black inside and looked like it hadn't been changed in a long time even though the previous owner said that it had been serviced 2500 miles before I bought it. I replaced the 5 qts that came out with synthetic B&M Trick Shift but left the rest of the fluid in since it had the Lucas stuff still in it and the color was still pink. I also added a Hayden 15.5" X 7.5" transmission oil cooler. I put metal braid on the hoses and covered the ends with heat shrink tubing before clamping. On the inlet side the tubing shrank right up onto the braid but the on the outlet side it's still unshrunk so I guess the cooler is working pretty well. The slipping seems to have stopped completely now and it shifts into O/D smoothly instead of lunging in like it used to. Hopefully now I won't have to get it rebuilt for awhile. I driving it to Carlisle next week so I hope it doesn't give me any trouble.

May have just bought yourself some time my friend....... If you get 6 months out of it like that, you've done well. I would tuck some cash away for a good rebuild..... nice effort in salvaging it though.....

Matt

Trans slipping in O\D

Mike,
I had a similar problem to what you described. When shifting into O\D mine would lunge a little, but otherwise seemed OK. Then it started slipping in O\D when I would go up a hill. I was having a B&M shifter put in, and when the speed shop I had doing the work called saying they had to drop the trans pan no matter what so did I want a shift-kit installed while they had it open, I said yes. They installed a Trans-GO shift kit and WOW what a difference. This also stopped the slipping. Then about 6 months or so later, I noticed the engine would rev a little before it would completely shift into O\D and if I was going up hill it seemed to slip just a little.
About 6 months later the crank snapped at the 1st journal. You can read about that in my reply to a post on detonation problems. I had a complete long block installed and told the speed shop about my trans issue. He said it was just a minor adjustment. He made the adjustment and told me my trans was OK. He also raised the shift points closer to Stage 2. I haven't had a shifting problem since. Zero slippage.

I'll see you at Carlisle!!!

Brandon

Well, let's hope it's not the crank. I've got 2 spares now in case I ever need one. I'm thinking 6 mos to a year for before the rebuild. With 133,000 it's about due. I've got a Ford dealer mechanic friend who'll do the rebuild for me.

Slipping in O\D

Mike,
I don't think my trans had anything to do with the crank snapping. It' just happened to be at the same time. A really annoying coinkydink.

I think the crank was more related to some detonation problems I was having. I had to run 2 cans of octane booster with 93\94 octane gas to get rid of most of the pinging\detonation. It was mostly at WOT or when the engine bogged down a little right before it shifted going uphill. Not to mention, the speed shop guy said it "looked" like the crank had been over-machined by as much as .025", although I couldn't get him to give me that in writing once I told him I was thinking about suing the engine re-manufaturer for replacement costs. Probably because he might have thought I would try to sue him too or at least drag him into court as a witness. This might ring a bell to remind you of the other posts. The final bill was $5711.34 :mad: , but what can I say besides, "I LOVE MY CAR!!!!":D :D

AOD Trans

Mike,
Forget what I said. I spoke a little too soon and "Murphy" showed up right on schedule. I lost O\D and maybe the trans on the way down to Carlisle. I was starting to go uphill around an 18 wheeler and I noticed it seemed like it was out of gear. It kicked right back in, but I noticed that the RPM's were wrong. When it kicked back in it seemed to be in 3rd gear instead of O\D like it should have been. Next thing I know, SMOKE SCREEN. I couldn't see any leaks, but fluid must have sprayed all over the exhaust. The oil level was fine, so it must have been the trans fluid. It took almost an hour before I saw any significant amount of fluid on the dipstick. It had a burnt smell to the trans fluid. I'll keep you posted.

Brandon
:(

I hope yours is as easy to fix as mine was. When was the last time it was serviced? Mine ran flawlessly to Carlisle and back with 28 mpg to show for it. Earlier today I went over to a friends and on a hill it was bad about slipping as it climbed, it did just fine for a change. I guess we'll eventually need to get them rebuilt. I think I'm going to use the Performance Automatics rebuild kit when I do. It's $398 and I've got a Ford dealer mechanic friend who'll do it on the side for me.

AOD Trans

Mike,
I must have been standing almost right next to you and didn't even know it. I had the car towed to a garage in Randolf, NJ. I had a friend look up the mechanics listing on the SCCOA FAQ page. I called the mechanic with the 90 SC, (same yr as mine) Bob Simpson, and he said to bring it in. He let me stay with him Thurs. night and ride into Carlisle with him. He's a great guy. I hung out with him and the gang from NJTACC for awhile and then walked around. It was HUGE!! I also stopped over to say hi to Bill E.
I just talked to him earlier and he said that the line from the trans cooler to the trans was leaking, and that the level was
1 1\2 quarts low. He said he's seen the fluid condition in worse shape in other cars that were OK, so I'm hoping for the best.

Happy SCing!!!

Brandon

AOD Trans

Houston, we have lift-off!!!

Mike,
Bob Simpson in NJ fixed my immediate woes. The rubber line from the transcooler to the trans had a pretty good leak and as a result it was 1 1/2 qts low. This was the probable cause of my slipping. I am, however, going to make contigency plans for that rebuild kit. I would love to convert to a 5-speed, but I think it would be cheaper to by another car (maybe a twin to mine so it won't be lonely).

Brandon

I have a car where the linkage has broken loose....does anyone know if the rubber grommet that holds the linkage on is available at Ford or if there is a simple way to attach it?....some clever home remedy?
I have one car with it attached with wire and it's not exactly right....

Mine never really ran very low on fluid but that little rubber hose was a little leaky. When I added the Hayden cooler I had to cut it to get it off. To couple the lines together I used what NAPA calls transmission cooler hose. It had a tough rough hide to it. I metal braided the hoses and double clamped all the connections. I don't think its going to leak again. Hopefully I won't need a rebuild till next year or later. That smoke trailing behind is a freaky sight.

vettewars said:
I have a car where the linkage has broken loose....does anyone know if the rubber grommet that holds the linkage on is available at Ford or if there is a simple way to attach it?....some clever home remedy?
I have one car with it attached with wire and it's not exactly right....

Ford had a recall on that problem and sells a brass bushing and
clip to replace the rubber bushing. It is p/n F3SZ-7H303-B and it costs 1.24.

Mike Donley

Slipping in OD

Mike,
Six month update. It started slipping again in OD. The fluid is at the proper level and looks good. I had the fluid and filter changed once I got the car back from Bob. It hasn't slipped till now. I'm working on researching and saving for a tranny rebuild. Any pointers on the best upgrades to do besides upgrading the OD band and pulley to 2" kevlar band. I'm installing a trans cooler as soon as I can. Which ones are the best to get and how big should I go?
Brandon

I've had a little of trouble with mine, too. After driving for 4 hours or so at 75 and then 65 it wanted to hesitate or slip going into O/D. When it cooled off it went back to normal. That's with a 15x7 transcooler, too. On a whim I tried 2 bottles ProBlend trans cooler additive and it seems back to normal at present. I know eventually it'll need to be rebuilt. I was going to use the Performance Automatics kit and have a mechanic friend do the rebuild. I'm rebuilding the 95 engine in the red 90 I bought in August right now. So It'll have to do for a while right now.

Back