Lower IC Tube

hytorksc

Is there a way on a stock IC setup to effectively lower the temperature coming off the lower IC tube where the headers are?

Can you wrap the tube with some type of insulation or place heat shield material between the tube and the header- would this help stop it from getting heat soaked? I already have an IC fan which is doing a great job of cooling at the IC, but the lower tube runs by the exhaust header and just heats up again, nullifying the effects of the IC.

Anyone's input on this please??

thank you-

Yes... you can wrap the lower IC tube with header wrap to reduce heat soak, however the wrap will also help the IC tube to hold heat in. I think your better off wrapping it than doing nothing.

David

Header wrap might be good, but an aluminized heat reflective wrap made for blocking radiant heat would be better. Thermotec makes a tape like this, it's what I used on my lower tube. I was planning to do some before/after temperature measurements, but basically I was too lazy...

wrap the tubes with the wide header wrap and over lapping it about 80% along with a 180deg thermostat will make a difference(gives about the same feel of power when runnng on a cold day)

Could i ask where u got the fan and what size fan(s) u r usuing behind your IC, i've been looking for this for quite some time w/ no luckk!!!!!!!

I can imagine it makes a bit of difference eh!!!!!:cool:

Headers

I would wrap the header first,you will keep the heat in the header.This will also give you more power as it will keep the heat in the header and it will aid in exhaust scavenging.It will also allow the intercooler tube to still sweat off any heat that it gets from the intercooler.I think that if you wrap the intercooler tube it will not aide you as much as if you wrapper your header.

wrapping the header means taking it off:D , might as well port the collector also, dont go more than 1/4" or so overlap on the header or they'll overheat

I think i will try assclown's first idea- wrapping the IC tubing sounds much easier since i just had a devil of a time changing my fuel pump all day yesterday. The pump is working beautifully by btw. regained some lost performance to that tired old pump.

thanks all for responding- you are truly SC experts.

can you take the headers off easily with the engine in the car? i'll do it that way if the level of dificulty is not that bad. can it be any worse than taking off the SC with the IC tubes?

Back