Hi flow cats vs. Stockers...Exhst sound difference

phils89sc

I have yet to have my Hi-Flow cats installed. They are universal 2.25" inlet and outlet. With the factory cats, especially at part throttle, the exhaust always sounds like there is a leak, but there are no leaks, I have checked. What I want to know is if the design of the factory cats can cause this (piss poor engineering if you ask me, I guess smooth flow as not on Ford's agenda!!) sound and where I should mount the Hi-flow cats (how far down-stream from the original location). I already have the Flowmaster cat-back installed, but have not yet decided on the brand of Resonator to use yet (if any, I still have the factory resonator, sounds really loud, lots of drone). I have some part numbers from Flowmaster for some dual inlet (2.25"), single outlet (3") mufflers, as I like Flowmaster. I am goind to price these out!!

Any suggestions on the cats>where I should locate them and if they will change the sound of my exhaust?

Thanks

Phil Stocker
PS. Still hanging in there with my SC, thinking about getting a every day car though and making my SC my toy car!!!
Helluva Toy!!

If you are concerned with passing smog, you should definitely put the cats as far forward as possible. If the cats are moved back, the exhaust is cooler and they will not work as efficiently. Too cool and they won't work at all. I'm not sure if there would be any performance benefit or change in sound quality based on location of the cats. The sound has more to do with the pipe diameter, brand of mufflers/resonator, etc. A lot of people go with the Magnaflow resonator. I don't know how much it matters... every SC I've ever heard had crap exhaust sound (except for Jimmy D's with a big cam and open long tube headers - that was sweet!!)

Back