HG Blown. Need name of shop around GTA to fix.

D

ddegan44

Hi guys. Just received the bad news from a Ford dealership that the head gaskets on my 93 SC have probably blown. They want $500 just to take the engine out/apart to make sure. And when I asked for an estimate to fix if it is the HG's I was told that a Windstar engine costs about $5,000 to rebuild, and my fancy engine would cost more. Does anyone know of a competent shop around Toronto where I could get this fixed? And if you've had yours done, how much am I looking at spending. As much as I love this car, I can think of other/better ways to spend 5 grand.

Thanks in advance,
David - Stock 93 Auto SC.

Re: HG Blown. Need name of shop around GTA to fix.

Try Affordable Performance in Scarborough. It is on Passmore Rd East. They do a ton of 3.8L business, and the prices are good.

you engine, is not any more "fancy" then the Windstar engine, it's the same 3.8L block, with probably cheaper rotating assembly
Affordable performance (Morana) is not cheap, but his work is impeccable

windstar has weaker 3.8 block, with weaker rotating assembly, split port heads.....

anyway a stock rebuld runs 1200 bucks in my area from a competent machinist, and instalation is about 400 bucks inclusive.

Bring it down to me, I can do it, I have done many mustangs, same thing, only weaker parts and slightly different top end, but heads come off the same way, plus I have a SC motor here as well, I just hate the room they give you for the exhaust manifolds.

I charge way less and can have it donein a weekend, my personal best is 16 hours. :) But that was for a mustang.

10 hours with my help ;)

The 16 hours was with yur help fool :) But then again we were goofing around the whole day so we probably could have finished it much quicker. Once I start talking I slow down, but remember when you guys went to the store, CTC I think, and you came back and I almost had the heads off? :)

I can work much quicker when I am not distracted. Just this past weekend I swapped a lower intake in under 4 1/2 hours. :)

Thanks everyone for your help and offers. I decided to take it to my mechanic instead. I trust him with my baby and it should be ready tomorrow, though I'm thinking of getting the exhaust done - to get rid of that restriction after the resonator. Again, thank you all.

Back