Motor Mounts

S

SeanMatteson

Motor Mounts

I'm in the middle of replacing my head gaskets, and I noticed that my motor mounts are still original and in really rough shape. I'd like to take advantage of the fact that the heads and exhaust manifolds are off right now and replace the motor mounts.

Does anyone know which manufacturers produce the solid rubber motor mounts for our Super Coupes? What are the respective part numbers? Which local retailers supply these?

Thanks,

Sean

Re: Motor Mounts

Sean,

I bought mine from MN12 Performance owned and operated by Rich Thompson. His website is www.MN12performance.com and his price is reasonable, especially if you buy more than one item.

He sells a package that includes the motor mounts and a solid transmission mount. You may also want to try Sealed Performance, sold at Canadian Tire. They make solid tranny mounts for sure, but I don't know about the motor mounts.

Solid mounts are also available from SCperformance.com and Supercoupeperformance.com

Sean I was talking to one the guys at the meeting today about your engine, he strongly suggested that while it is apart to change the gasket on the timing cover. I believe it's part of th ekit you already bought. He said when SC's blow their gaskets they pressurize the cooling system and the timing cover gasket is very weak, they tend to start leaking at a very inappropriate time, like after you put your engine back together. This does mean you have to pull the crank pulley and balancer I believe.

If you do pull the timing cover, set number 1 cylinder to TDC, then mark the position of the cam stator before removing the cover. That way you won't need the tool to realign it later.

Oooooh. I don't know if I want to pull the balancer...

Guys,

When the HG's first went I gave some thought to just buying a whole engine gasket set, but decided that I didn't want to pull the balancer for fear that it would break soon after reinstalling it (as I've heard this is the trend).

Actually, I don't recall seeing a timing cover gasket in the top end kit that I have right now. I suspect it comes in the lower engine gasket set.

It certainly makes sense to do this now (along with a front main seal, probably), but I'm really not comfortable with R&R'ing that stock, original balancer right now.

Has anyone had good experience yet with reinstalling a used balancer, and if so, were there any tricks that needed to be done???

In regards to the motor mounts, I'm going to be down in the U.S. all this week on business. I thought I'd try to pick them up from a retailer in the Watertown NY area if possible, and then just bring them back across the border with me. I really need to know which manufacturers make the solid rubber mounts, and what each one's respective part numbers are.

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks,

Sean

Balancer

I don't know much about the SC motors, or any motor for that matter, but if the harmonic balancer is supposed to be right under the intake manifold....mine did not have one when i did the HG's on my car, therefore i put it back together without it and it runs fine....except all the other problems it has that are completely un-related like blue smoke and stuff like that...ahhh, nothing like the sweet smell of burnt oil in the morning!!

anyways, thats all i wanted to say about the balancer

Re: Balancer

The harmonic balancer is the flange-like part that the crankshaft pulley is mounted to.

I don't think you're running your car without one. ;)

Sean

Re: Balancer

Did you end up picking a set of these up? If so, which brand?

Back