Bucking at high speeds

ilusnforc

'95 5-speed SC.... starts bucking.
It most commonly happens doing about 50-60mph, put it into 4th gear and step on the gas at least half way... you hear the engine rpm climbing maybe for a few seconds then it just starts hesitating really bad like it wants to go but it cant do it, almost like its bucking. It seems like it isnt getting enough fuel or something, it just doesnt want to go. every once in a while it will give the same hesitation, just a short little buck when you are leaving a stop sign or shifting to 2nd or 3rd. Also on the highway, same in 5th too...
my only mods that i have is a McLeod Aluminum flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, B&M short shifter, and a ZR cold air intake.
Any suggestions????
I may end up just putting on a new fuel pump, fuel injectors, plugs, wires, solid motor mounts, MAF....

When was the last time that you changed your plugs/wires. My 95 was doing the same thing when I bought it. The plugs were shot and when I replaced them it ran like new.

Bob

I've similiar problems a short while ago, try replacing the DIS with known working DIS. Let's us know. Cure the same problems your experiencing......any codes?

Calvin

I guess I will try replacing plugs and wires, possibly even a DIS.
I'm not getting a check engine light.. I dont know if that is required to pull a code. Before I started having this problem, I could do a highway run up to about 110 and the check engine light would come on almost every time, but it goes away after about 5 mins and the car drives just fine the whole time... but now I am having the problem and haven't even tried going over 70 since it started acting up. I wonder if they could be related??

Plugs and wires were replaced at Tommie Vaughn Ford on June 29, 2000 at 56,183 miles, currently at 73,189 miles.

Last edited:
Plugs and wires

I would think plugs and wires...my old car did that and I thought itd be sumthing expensive and ended up being just that...my SC does that now and its gettin new plugs this week and I'll let you know if that solves it

Mine did that a long time ago while giving it gas going on the on-ramp to the interstate. I think the car had 45k at the time. Put new wires and plugs in....fixed! Now she has 75k and I think it's about time for preventative maintenance with Magnecor wires and motorcraft plugs! Man, there goes my Sunday! I would say plugs and wires.

Mine continues to do that same thing... well, buck at low rpm. I changed a whole bunch of stuff (plugs/wires, alternator, DIS) and now I'm waiting for my MAF to come in. It makes my car grossly underpowered too... it's crazy. Hopefully that MAF will fix all of my woes though.

Good luck, chief.

It's a '95 5-speed
I put on a '96-'97 hood, front bumper cover, Xenon front air dam, headlights, header panel, etc... it does look awesome though, it gets a lot of compliments.

bucking

my 90 sc developed the same problem when i took it out for the first time this year, i was going to change my plugs and wires but a friend of mine who was a ford mechanic told me that it was probably my egr,so he ran a diagnostic check even though no light was on or blinked or anything and told me that my egr was sticking. now i just need to find the time to fix it.

I had a 95 SC auto do the same thing many years ago. It was the fuel pump. To check for sure connect a pressure gauge to the fuel rail. Watch the fuel pressure while driving when it begins to surge. If it drops at all it is a pump going bad. Get a new one if the pressure moves down under boost. 1 psi of fuel pressure for every lb of boost. If you need a pump www.mn12performance.com sell them.

You may also want to check the crankshaft sensor. I had the same problem as you did, driving along and car would seem to cut out and in again. Not sure if the dealer was able to pull code from it, but that was the culprit.

This was a long time ago, and I completely forgot I posted this thread. Anyway, heres the update:
I replaced the plugs with APP2544 Autolite double platinum plugs from SCP, also Magnecore wires from SCP.
That did fix the problem, however, I think I noticed that one of the wires was loose on the spark plug (bad connection) that was probably the culprit. Oh well.. new plugs and wires work great. Since then i've also installed an Optima red top battery, all 3 new belts, 10% overdrive pulley, Kooks mid-length ceramic coated headers, SCP downtubes w/high flow cats, and SCP cat back 2-1-2 exhaust, Vogtland custom 3/4" lowing linear springs, and Tokico Illumina 2 elec. adj. shocks. I am very impressed with all of these mods. I went to the track a few weeks ago and ran a 14.9 @ about 196mph. I think i can get a little bit better times, but i need a day of nice cool weather. Hard to find in Texas, but one of these days....
BTW, thanks for all the help.
Andy - '95 5-speed

I've also had this hesitation problem

my SC hesitates only when she's cold, the warmer she gets the more boost i can use, when she's totally warmed up i can floor it without a skip or buck.
I've changed the coilpack, DIS, and the plugs and wires. each change was done seperatly to hopefully isolate the problem. The only thing that worked was temperary the Plugs and Wires fixed the problem but only for about a month. She still hesitates when cold any suggestions ?

Back