smoked a SHO at 120+ mph

thundersc

Banned
SHO wanted to play
turned right onto highway
at bottom of ramp SHO half way back (zzz)
Shift light at 125mph 4th gear, SHO way back
slow traffic, SHO gets on rear bumper
SHO starts going left and right in lane behind me (70mph)
opening I nail it, shift light at 125mph, 4th gear
shifted to 5th gear running 140+mph no
SHO way way back, catches me again but I'm behind 5 slow cars
I nail it but I'm in 5th gear, SHO beside me
SHO 6 car lenghts ahead at 125mph
shift light again, start catching him
start passing him and he takes a exit and comes close to wrecking
cruised at 130-140mph for next 7 miles before taking my exit
5 mins after pulling in driveway
Cop does u-turn in my driveway
High beams his lights on my car
sorry dude maybe next time
sorry officer go get a SC

The Thunder rules the highway!
get one or get OFF the Roads!

Stock for stock with auto...

my SHO is quicker than my '90 SC - tho not by much. It's just that the SHO has no top end grunt and being FWD doesn't handle quite as well, even with much superior steering.

Both are excellent high speed, long distance cruisers. ;)

Lee

haha

i love playing with ppl in my sc, last night this gtp wanted to play...LOL....that was pretty short, i have no clue how fast i was going....my speedometer goes to 120 and its out because i have a 3.27 rear end, but i was at 3500 rpm in 5th. i think i was at about 130/135 mph.

89 5 speed 3.27 rear end gears, nuisance boost leak

Check my SHO time. Numbers are real.

That's absolutely factory stock (including wheels & tires) with a 270 lb driver and 80+ degree temp. Didn't even play games with tire pressure. Drove it there, ran it in D with foot to the floor (it shifts @ 7,000rpm), drove it home. That's quicker than some of the SC's in our chapter, who've seen it run during our meets.

Cold air induction (still stock MAF & TB) and CATback exhaust will get it into the 14's. Breathing has an even bigger effect on a high rev'ing SHO than on an SC.

Are you factory stock? What are your times?

My silver SC will totally wipe it, but I've got some mod's on that. ;)

Lee

Last edited:
yeah whats the deal with the cop, and don't even say that he left because you had already made it back to your driveway. :)

Old SHOs were fairly quick...

My 89 SHO with 150k miles ran a 15.2 @ 92 MPH stock with a bad clutch and in need of a tune up. They have a reputation for being poor off the line but make it up at speed.

Not sure which car does better at 120+ MPH because I don't drive that fast. The SHO has better brakes (Lighter) but the SC blows it away around the turns.

Raced on highway not the 1/4 mile boring racing..
1/4 mile racing is boring, boring, boring
Did I say boring :)
try Solo Racing and do some curves
Try some Drifting..

Cop showed up 5 mins after I got home
Used high beams on car, sat there 2 minutes
pulled out of driveway, went down street
today local police sitting on exit ramp
followed me home, Hmmm
I better hurry and get my Prelude done :)

You might want to check my avatar.

I've been "doing curves" for going on 40 years. Considering the drop-off's on some of the mountain roads out here, pretty successfully. I'm still alive. :p

Back east in the 60's I used to run some pretty good mustangs and a Shelby in autocross as well as street racing. Timed drags let you benchmark your power and fine tune performance. Dyno's don't always tell the whole story. :rolleyes:

Lee

Last edited:
Back