Custom made 17" stock SC wheels?

dklitzke

In my musings on how I would like to make my 1995 SC better, I thought of how great it would be to have some either 17" or even 18" (no larger) stock style SC wheels cast, so you could run the bigger, better brakes and still have stock wheels. Personally, I like them better than the after market look. I wonder how expensive it would be, and if there are any others out there who would consider having them if they were available. I prefer the "sleeper" appearance, along with Corvette Killer performance. Would it not be cool to have a stock looking SC with some of those premium brakes that allow you to stop on a dime, because you need them to haul you down from triple speed limit velocities?! On a track, of course. I do not advocate breakneck speeds out on the roads where there are too many unexpected things to have to react to, and where you might injure or kill someone including yourself.

Anyway, let me know if any of you like the idea of bigger stock style SC wheels.

Don Klitzke
Prospect, TN

I like the idea as well, I feel the same way as you. I like the stock wheels, I jusst wish they were bigger for more tire.

17x9 would be a good size. There would be many affordable tires in that size (as opposed to 18s) since quite a few cars have 17x9 wheels from the factory.

I doubt you could sell enough to get castings made. You could get custom billet wheels made, upwards of $1000 each from what I've seen. I don't know if there would be any problem with copying Ford's design without permission. At over $4000 for the set, you'd have to be flush with the $$$ to consider it... or own your own CNC machine!

there is a company now offering 17" pony wheels, so with enough interest, they might shoot a price for 17" SC. Check out a 5.0/Super Ford or Muscle Mustang mag for details. Ford should have put 17" when it updated the 94/95 SC's, or at least tried to make it an option at some point during the run.

Either that or somehow get Discovery Channel involved in some trick SC blimp project for Monster Garage. Then we could get our 17" wheels made as :

"Freebie...Freebie...Freebie"

I've thought about it, and I probably will get some made if I ever win the lottery. But I've kinda been thinking about just making stock look wheels that are wider. 16x9 wouldn't be bad.

There are places that will widen wheels. I think XR7Dave was thinking of having this done. Personally, it makes me uneasy.

I know of a company that sells 17" T-bird "fan blade" wheels...I think they look pretty good....But I know they aren't SC...

MN12owner, what is the company that makes the 17" fan blade wheels? Are they the wheels that are on the 93 Cobra but with a lug pattern that fits the T-Bird?

Fan Wheels

MN12owner, I Like those 17" fan wheels. Have you seen those wheels on that site before? I don't know if I can cough up the $800 right now, but if you've seen wheels like that before maybe they'll have another set later.
K

Alan K said:
MN12owner, I Like those 17" fan wheels. Have you seen those wheels on that site before? I don't know if I can cough up the $800 right now, but if you've seen wheels like that before maybe they'll have another set later.
K

I saw those wheels on that site at least 6 months ago...If I am not mistaken they actually make them...I am curious how they would look, I think one of the guys on TCCOA has bought a set...I will see if I can find who and what they look like on the car. I agree with the $800. I suggested a GP to see if they would drop the price...nothing has come of it yet. One thing I definatly like is the center caps are still the Tbird logo :D

i've seen those wheels on mustangs, don't they have striking similarity to the wheels that came on some of the N/A birds??

also, yes it would be great to have a set of 17x9 real SC wheels. but only if they are modeled after the 94,95 wheels, (the directional ones, which i think is what you were speaking of. maybe change the design so there is no centercap. i don't particularly care for showing my lugnuts (in public, ha) but everytime i take off the cap is another chance to scratch it.

unfortunately i am piling up debt going to school so I would be a no show on a GP or anything until i get a real job.

james

I could be wrong, but if those are the 17" fan wheels I've seen before, they aren't directional.

I would be totally in for 17's in the stock SC wheel look, and i know a few of us western canadians would totally go for it

custom wheels

im diggin it too, but only after the look of the 94/95 SC wheel, and in a chrome finish hehe with centercaps hehe with the t-bird logo in the cap ....hehe :D

Wow this is weird, I have been thinking about this for over a year now, and was just thinking about it today as I drove home. I would be ALL IN for a set of 17x9 stock SC wheels. I would prefer the earlier 89-92 style but would still be in for 93-95 wheels if that's what everyone else wants.

Almost

I always thought these were fairly close. But they are truck wheels and I dont think they would fit. Ive seen them in person and they look really nice... too bad :rolleyes:

Wheels

Back