exhaust choices for my new 95 5-speed SC??

rolltide

I have a couple quick questions if you don't mind me asking. I just got myself a 95 5 Speed SC. Nice Fast car but I feel it begging to be able to breath better. It has a custom cold air intake. I do not want any kind of annoying drone. I want a nice aggressive tone, something close to a v-8. I am thinking of repalcing the resonator and cats. Actually the whole exhaust. Catback and better mufflers. I have heard of Borla and Dynomax. Any ideas. Like I said, nothing annoying. My wife will kill me if I put in a bad setup. I used to have a 94 v-8 Bird that I put flowmasters on, and it droned terribly. Thank you for any help. Any sound clips would be great.

-Tony

well replace that awful stock res, magnaflow is very popular (I have it on mine) and get some High Flow Cats. As for mufflers, Borla's are really nice, but also..insanely expensive.

I have 2 1/4 true dual SS all the way back, 5.7 L High Flow Cats, Magnaflow Res, and no muffs. It is extremely free flowing, sounds pretty good too.

no mufflers?

I see that you said you had no mufflers. Is that really loud. If I repalce the cats, do I replace the piping coming into them and what is a good brand cat. Is the Magnecore better, louder than Dynomax. Also, will a new set up improve mileage and Horsepower much? Thank you.

ttt

Do I need downtubes if I replace the cats. I am going to replace the cats, resonator and mufflers. I have read several people mention Catco High flow cats. IF I get these items myself, I assume a shop could intstall new piping. What are the ideal sizes and will this set up sound good and not annoying. What are the Horsepower gains. Whiich mufflers are better, Dynomax or Borla and where can they be found for the cheapest. Thanks again.

Re: ttt

rolltide said:
Do I need downtubes if I replace the cats. I am going to replace the cats, resonator and mufflers. I have read several people mention Catco High flow cats. IF I get these items myself, I assume a shop could intstall new piping. What are the ideal sizes and will this set up sound good and not annoying. What are the Horsepower gains. Whiich mufflers are better, Dynomax or Borla and where can they be found for the cheapest. Thanks again.

Yes, replace the downtubes. Matter a fact, replace your manifolds if you can, or port the collectors to 2 inches. I went with Magnaflow resonator, and dynomax muffler. Borla will probably be loud. Don't expect your car to sound like a V8. Keep the mufflers on the quiet side in my opinion, which is why i went with dynomax. Catco's i would presume would be fine. I went with C & L high flow cats. But they were pretty expensive. HP gains are really good on this car if oyu do the entire exhaust. At least a good 20 horse. You will lose a bit of low end, but strap an older style Supercharger pulley on there (from a 89-93 supercoupe) and it will be an awesome gain.

bigger pully

What is the difference between my pully and an older model one. If I get one, will I need to do anything more to the car. I do not plan on doing anything to the manifold. How much is a new manifold and where do i get new downtubes as I assume I won't be going back with stock.

exhaust

Originally posted by rolltide
What is the difference between my pully and an older model one. If I get one, will I need to do anything more to the car. I do not plan on doing anything to the manifold. How much is a new manifold and where do i get new downtubes as I assume I won't be going back with stock.
The smaller pulley will up your boost and then you need to get the result out of the engine. The exhaust ports are restrictive and the manifolds are too. See pic below for a comparison between stock & ported manifolds.
Also, the stock size of our exhaust pipes are 1-7/8". They need to go also.
See 2nd pic below for a comparison of my downtubes to stock units.

good luck on whatever you decide,

'bird

Top manifold is ported to 2"

port4836.jpg

not a very good angle but shows my 2-1/4" pipes vs stock 1-7/8"

8993pipes1466.jpg

If you dont want any drone at all then I would stick to the stock exhaust.I went with ported exhaust manifolds.no cats,2.25" pipes off manifolds,magnaflow resonator,3" centre pipe,and two dynomax hemi style mufflers angled 45 deg so they would fit.At full throttle the system is fairly quiet but it drones somewhat at 18oo rpm and at 22oo rpm.It has a deep tone to it and doesnt sound like a v6.Im undecided if Im going to add cats to quieten it down.I definitely felt a loss of part throttle response but it pulls harder at higher rpms.I have a 5% pulley which was on prior to the exhaust work.If you do the complete exhuast do not place the tailpipe ends in the stock location unless you love droning.Mine were originally in the stock location and the 1800rpm drone was awful.I ended up extending the tailpipes past the rear bumper which cut the drone in half.Without cats the exhaust stinks big time.Sound clips are useless unless theyre made inside the car while its under load.If you listen to my car in park its quiet while revving or while holding at various rpms.Its only while the car is under load that it gets loud.Everyones perceptions are different ,so what I may consider too loud,someone else may consider too loud.My system is significantly louder than stock while cruising.

my opinion

Why install new cats for the sole purpose of quieting the motor? They are like very restrictive mufflers and are pricey, so you are better off with the Magnaflow res and muffs. It's supposed to be as quiet as stock but louder at WOT, not much drone either.

Solution: Buy the res and muffs online or locally and have new pipes welded on with the above manifold/downtube job. Keep pipes at 2.25" and 3" center (more than enough) and you'll be fine.

Here are some example res/muffs:
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/universal/oval.htm
I think the 5X7X18" (pn 12278) would make an excellent res and the 4X9X14" (pn 11215) for the muffs.

Say Tony, when am I going to have a look at you car?

Talon 660,Im assuming you're responding to my comment about getting cats to quieten my car.I already have the magnaflow resonator and the dynomax hemi mufflers are larger and quieter than the super turbos (and presumably the magnaflow mufflers you listed)Im assuming,based on your comments you havent actually ridden in a car with the setup you suggested.Im not interested in starting a flame war but I dont know of any free flowing systems for our cars that will be drone free at all cruising speeds.If I could have ridden in cars with different exhaust set ups locally,I would have.Everyones definition of quiet and drone free is different,based on my personal experience with different cars and car forums.

I was behind a supercharged grand prix this morning....obviously a custom system....4 pipes coming out the back....it sounded GOOD....the best yet I've ever heard on a 3.8 six....real nice throaty sound.

Has anyone researched what they have and possibly improve on the SC?

I always like the sound of Grand Nationals...but I think they have a set up that couldn't be applied to the SC....not much space in the middle to hang anything....

My personal opinion is the best low cost, highest performance improve is take out cats and either use magnaflow resonator or one high flow cat in place of the resonator....otherwise you can keep the rest of the system stock.

Then to get the appropriate sound you want just mess with the back mufflers.

I also don't believe getting rid of the stock y-pipe is necessary unless you're pushing 300 or more hp.

Exactly, that's why is said in my opinion. All we can do is wait til someone installs a particular setup and we here it in person. It's hard because SCs are scarce, unlike Mustangs/F-bodies where you can hear other peoples' examples. What are your rear pipe and tip sizes kws, they can make all the difference?

Tailpipe sizes are 2.25". Stock grand nationals had a single centre pipe with a single transverse muffler behind the rear axle with dual tailpipes.(I used to have one)I cant remember the pipe sizes.It was a bit louder inside the car than a stock sc but significantly quieter than the set up I currently have.

Rolltide....

You say your V-8 Tbird droned alot, but you never mentioned whether or not YOU, YOURSELF liked the way it sounded!! Or is it only what you wife thinks about it? Like I saw posted before, if you don't want drone, or whatever the phenonmen some describe as undesireable, then you better just keep your stock exhaust!! Any aftermarket exhaust that flows better than stock crap will "drone" to some degree, and that is the plain truth. You never did reply to the PM you sent me and I replied to, and I think that this post is word for word the same as you PM to me!

This is not a wife bashing session here, but who's car is it? Yours or hers? Does she drive it every day, or is she the type that gets "embarrased" to ride in a loud car because it attracts attention?

I think that all of the suggestions in response to your query are good ones, but the truth remains, you want no "drone", stay stock, and save some $$ for new head gasket because that is what the stock system does, it is like a huge bottleneck!!

The suggestion I would pay most attention to is the one about where the exhaust exits. If the tips are turned down, the sound pulses will be aimed at the ground right below the trunk, acting like a huge echo chamber. Maybe a good alternative for those worried about the "drone" would be to cut a couple holes in the rear bumper cover and shoot some stainless pipes out the back!

I saw this same effect with the 5.0 Mustangs of the 87-93 variety. The GT's exhaust was turned down at the end of the tailpipes, and was louder in the car than the LX's because the LX's had the awesome stainless tips pointing straight back out of the back. I have had both GT and LX models, and I liked the LX 5.0 the best, not really because it was alot quieter, but you could hear what the exhaust truly sounded like and not alot of bassy reverberation.

Oh well, I guess it is all up to you my man!!

Good luck,

Phil

Last edited:
Hello all..

I'm going to do exhaust soon as well, and I'm deciding whether to go dual exhaust around 2.25" diameter or 2.25" dual - 3" single - 2.5" dual to the back. Which setup is better for overall power increase for slightly modified car (intake, 10% pulley..)? Also, I have 14" Magnaflow muffler for a resonator and 2 high flow cats, is the sound going to be too loud if I cut the rear muffs?? And finally, is there really a big difference between mandrel bent piping and normal bends?
Thanks,
Stas.

Stas...

It may be loud. The longer the resonator the less drone (this is what I have been told) The resonator from SCP is 18" long, I have this on my car. Its loud, but I got used to it.

Here is what I have:
Stock exhaust manifolds
SCP Down tubes
2 2.5" Dynomax Cats (cheap $55 each) from Jegs
Into the Magnaflow Muffler/Resonator then out to 3" middle pipe
Then a flowmaster y pipe
2.5 pipes into 18" long 3" Magnaflow tips out the rear bumper
Worst drone is at 60-75 mph.

I may get Borla Muffs to quiet the drone down..

The difference between the pipe doesn't matter untill your pushing alot of Hp I guess 300 or more. Not sure.
With dual exhaust you will loose more low end.

Someone correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

phil
that's some good info on tips. Someone did that one a white 94/95, looked good (oval) it was for sale, had chrome rims, can't find the pic.

stas
cut the muffs off and be sure to arrange the tailpipes/tips as you would want them. If you don't like it, just weld in some muffs. If you don't like those muffs, sell em on ebay and try more till you find the ones you like.

Back