Fiberglass hood "settling"??

OneSweet89SC

First, I gotta say I am extremely frustrated right now. I've got a lot of time and money in this hood, and now this. I put a new Cervini's Mach 1 hood on my car about a week ago (I posted some pics last week in the non-tech...it looked perfect). Well it got hot here in Ohio (mid 90's) and this black hood has been sitting out in the sun during the day. Now there are a bunch of spots where it looks like the clear coat is really thick. The spots are only noticeable at angles. I showed it to the guy who painted it and he said the gel coat on the fiberglass was settling and that it was pretty common. He said he'd be able to wetsand out the spots and rebuff it, so no big deal. I would just like to know if anyone else has had this happen with there glass hoods, particularly Cervini's. If so, how long before it completely settled? Any input would be appreciated so that I know how long I should wait before I have him re-finish it. Thanks.

Remove it, and tell them to bake it for awhile..

Also when Fiberglass/gel coat `sets' it usually Strinks?? So you shoudl have dips where the material has strunk..

I deal with fiberglass on a daily bases, yah think i would know better :)

I forget the temp, (the oven at work is set at a temp), but have a body shop bake the hood for like 10-15 minutes before `fixing' it...

the hood was supposed to be baked before it was prepped and painted. mine is black too and i never seen that before.

The hood was baked at 170 degrees (F) and after it was done being painted it was perfectly smooth. Any other comments?

Well at work we have seen shrinkage after baking too.. also if it wasn't backed at the correct temp and for the correct amount of time...

ALOT of body shops have an idea how to deal with fiberglass.. but it is still usually best to take a fiberglass piece to a shop that deals with cars with fiberglass panels

Back