A/C system not holding a charge - 134A...

MN12 KID

I'm not sure where to begin with this. It's getting up into the mid-90s up here, and I wanna get this A/C running. How much $$$ to get this damn thing fixed? What are the most probable causes? How effective is the flourescent dye for detecting leaks? Perhaps I can get a rough idea, without a mechanic telling me it's going to cost me $300+ to get it fixed.

Last edited:
More than likely it is the orings on the connections. You can replace them yourself for about $25 including the tools to open the lines. You can get all the replacement orings at any autoparts store.

I just had the AC in my 90sc fixed today. cost was $125, which i thought was very worth it since it is so hot out.

On my system i had an AC line come apart and the clip was blown off (near the drier in front of the firewall). The AC shop replaced the line and flushed/filled my system.

If i had wanted to fix it myself i would have had to locate the clip and the special tool that is used to put it on and off. It was definitely worth it having some people look at it that knew what they were doing.

MN12 KID said:
... I wanna get this A/C running. How much $$$ to get this damn thing fixed? What are the most probable causes? How effective is the flourescent dye for detecting leaks? Perhaps I can get a rough idea, without a mechanic telling me it's going to cost me $300+ to get it fixed.
Depends on where the leak is. Worst case is you have a leak in the evaporator (like I did) and you have to pull the dash out to replace it. If the leak trashed the compressor, you have to replace essentially the whole A/C system, provided you want the repair to last. My cost for a complete A/C replacement, including new compressor, condenser, evaporator, accumulator, liquid line+ Otube, orings, oil, r134a fittings, a vaccuum/recharge at a shop was about $800.. with me doing all the work which was about 20 hours total. Most places I talked to wanted $1200 or so for the job..
But I'm glad that I did it because I know it was done right and not rushed. I also got the opportunity to fix a few other things at the same time.
The flourescent dye works OK provided you can get the system charged and the leak is out in the engine compartment somewhere. The freon sniffers work better. That's what the shops use.
Just to let you know, A/C repair work is intricate stuff to do it right. A fast fix can get you going again, but usually at the cost of your system longevity. There really aren't any short cuts which is why its rather costly stuff.
Good luck with it.

Probably won't help you out, but I had a bad compressor in my lincoln..

pd. 75 bucks salvage yard vs. 450 at car quest for a new one.

Prices ranged quite a bit. NAPA wanted I think around 250 for a new one, and I could get a rebuilt for 175 at a small salvage yard here in town.

A friend loaned me the equip to re-fill the system, He owns a local trucking business, so he buys alot of R134 and freon, says I only used maybe 6 bucks worth to fill the system after I vaccuumed it out.

So R134 isn't too expensive, I guess it could be worse if it were R12 (<same as freon??)

I just used vaseline to re-seal the o-rings, as I did about 5 years ago in another vehicle that is still working great.

Back