The Window Fix w/pic's

JAFO

For anyone else this might help:

Finally got the driver’s window working at 100%!

Previously, I'd swapped out the inside felt runner trim on top of the door panel, but not the outside one, which did help some. Old one pops right off, new one goes right on.

fbbee491.jpg

Over time, it still got worse and worse, jamming at about half way a few seconds and then slowly struggling the rest of the way down. I roll it down on the street before turning into the drive thru--that kind of slow. Finally, seemed the motor just gave out. Still worked when I tested it outside of the door, but with no load on it, and making a grinding noise. It just couldn't take it. Here's what I did:

Symptom: Window kicks up in the front when about halfway down, jamming it up a bit. Just doesn't want to go down in the front as fast as it can in the back. Severely struggles to get the rest of the way down at the half way down point. Not much trouble on the way up, just slow.

1-New motor. Got the window moving again, but by NO means fixed the initial problem. Went ahead and greased the runners, just in case. Still struggled about half way down.
Remove the door panel, pull down the plastic guard sheet, pull the door speaker. 3 screws hold the motor in, right in the middle of the door. Have the window up; you have easy access to the screws. Nothing to it.

fbbee4ab.jpg

fbbee49a.jpg

2-While the speaker was out of the door, I watched it go down. The felt on the internal track in the front of the door felt hard. This was where the window is catching.

fbbee4c7.jpg

3-Used a diluted citrus engine degreaser and sprayed the track. Scrubbed it with a small wire detailing brush. It fits in the track perfectly. Sprayed with regular water to rinse, and repeated a few times. I left the door open for a while to let it dry out. Felt was "fluffier" afterwards.

4-Similarly, I pulled the spacer/tensioner that the window slides against, at about the middle of the door. This is a small piece about 1.5" wide. A felt covered bracket, really If you have scratches on your tint that size, this is what does it. In my case, I recently got my tint done and some of the glue got on this piece, which is also felt covered. It caused a sticky streak on my window. :mad:

fbbee4b4.jpg

The piece is only held in with 1 nut, slide it down towards the back of the door to take out and it comes right up. The felt on this piece was also hard, plus the addition of the glue. I used the same diluted degreaser here, and also the same brush--lightly. Some felt will come off, so do this lightly. Sprayed the glue with 3M adhesive remover (I swear by this stuff) and worked it with the brush to get that out. Sprayed it all down with water and dried it. No more glue, and the felt is fluffy again. Not much left, but it should be enough. Of note, if yours is really bad, I think you could pull the tape with the felt off, turn it upside down and reattach with a good adhesive. Only the top part of the felt touches, so the bottom is good as new. Mine didn't need this yet. If the tint adhesive were much worse, or too much felt was already rubbed off, I'd have tried this. Cleaned the smeared adhesive off the tint and it stayed clean now.

Put it all back in, and the window now goes like this:

Rollin'

Think I need to get into the passenger side now to get that one going as fast.

Needed:
Citrus degreaser (diluted)--hit your engine while you're at it!
Wire detailing brushes
3M adhesive remover (in my case)
New motor (if it's too late for you too)
Grease

THANKS

Good deal , Thanks for all the info and the photos . I changed out the motor , soon to be done . Fast car , slow window . Thanks, DW

Back