My cleaned engine!

007_SuperCoupe

Just thought I'd share a pic of my (finally) clean engine. It's not spotless by any means, but much better than when I got it. It had a (IMO "severe") oil leak from the lower intake manifold and the valve covers. I didn't clean it when I fixed it and it came back to haunt me in the form of a gunked up crank sensor. So, while cleaning that out I just decided to spruce it all up a bit. The cleaning was all done by hand with (top side) Armor All multipurpose cleaner, a tooth brush and a rag, and (bottom side) multiple cans of engine degreaser. I won't admit to how many I used, but sufice it to say, it was enough! LOL It appears from the bottom side that I have an oil leak at the front and rear seals still (never tried to fix those) but they will have to wait until I get my CMRE! Anyway, here's the pic:

Good job! With an engine bay as cluttered as ours, it's hard to keep it clean and good looking. It's worth the payoff, especially after you do that first big cleaning job. Maintenance is much easier. Thumbs up!

Clean looking

You just roll that off the showroom floor? :D
That is nice and clean looking its real hard to keep these clean like that nice work!

Thanks for the compliments. In all honesty, I don't think the picture really does it justice though. After resizing it...and resizing it again to get it within the maximum file size, it lost a lot of its luster. It's hard to believe that I had oil all over in there a year ago. In addition to the oil leak, my sc top nut came loose on a road trip and sprayed oil all over the engine compartment! (I got back at it and put on the SC in the picture :) ) And to top it off, that picture was taken about a month ago and it still looks as good. And to answer any questions that may come, yes, it is a daily driver. No matter what the weather is like, it is driven. At least for now. I've got a really good deal on a 96 F150 with an in-line 6 and 4x4 to boot. Just have to come up with the arrangement with the old man to get it. But that's another story...

looks good. i wish my engine was that clean. i should probably spend some quality time with it especially since my upper rad hose blew and sprayed the engine with coolant. anyway, enough of my problem, good job with your engine bay. keep up the great work.

In total I think that I spent 4 to 5 hours on it. Basically, 2 different mornings I cleaned the underside and a little of the top with engine degreaser (I had a LOT of oil!) and then spent about 1 1/2 hours doing the fine detail work. That total time includes the time I let the degreaser "soak" in. Work time was more like 3 hours. Makes me wonder why I didn't do it sooner...

Now I just need a [car] body that will compliment the engine...

Back