Boat starter clicking...questions ?

TBirdDriver

A starter is a starter is a starter...right?
This does not pertain to my SC but to my boat, but I'm sure it can apply to our SC's as well.
Pretty basic questions really. When I went to start the boat, the starter clicks, but will not turn over. (New battery, good connections).
If I bang on the starter with a hammer, it will engage and turn over.
This engine is a 1995 350 Magnum with only 340 hours on the engine.
What causes this?
Do solenoids go bad over time, even with little use?
Aren't solenoids basically electromagnets that just move a plunger to engage and disengage the starter gear?
Could the plunger just need grease to free it up, or do you think it's shot?
If it were my SC, I would just buy a new starter, but they want $250.00 for this one.
(I was thinking of matching it with one from an auto parts store, however this is for a marine application. The starter is in an enclosed area subject to gasoline fumes, and I am told that marine starters are closed and isolated from electrical sparks.)

Yeah, your selenoid is bad if you have good connections, and your battery is full of juice.

Usually they'll give you some warning, though. It hasn't been getting worse over time?

Did you have any probs with the starter engaging only half as many times as you tried to start it and over time leading up to this? Or just all the sudden?

Either way, you're going to need a new starter.

Well, that's the problem with a boat, I don't use it everyday.
It worked great, no problems, when I put it away last October.
When I went to fire it up a couple of weeks ago, I had to bang on the starter to get it to engage.
I store it outside in the winter with a cover on it, but it is still a wet environment that the starter sits in throughout the winter.
I still have to take it out and look at it. It's a PITA to get at but I'm used to that...I work on my SC.
So, I guess it did happen all of a sudden.

TbirdDriver, yea sometimes marine starters will just fail at any moment. I work at a marina, and I also own a boat. Dont try and put a automotive starter on. It will fail prematurely. I did that with a alternator and it lasted about 2 months. But im in the salt water that is a very aggresive on rusting out just about any metal thats not stainless steel or coated. If your in fresh water, you could probally get away with it. But on the gas vapor part, you should not have gas fumes in your engine compartment. If you do, then you have a leak somewhere. The only vapors in there sould be from the PCV. I have a mini starter on mine that is marine, and I think I paid only $165.

I thought maybe you already had it out a few times this year..

It has to be the selenoid, which means new starter.

Maybe you can find a used one for less?

Thanks guys.
Looks like, new starter here I come.

I don't any gas fumes at the moment, but if it ever did leak, I would want to have the proper starter installed.

boosted89SC:
You say you work at a marina.
Do you have access to Mercruisers' part list?
Would you be able to get a part number for the correct starter for a 1995 Mercruiser 350 Magnum V8, 4 barrel, engine. Engine serial number OF418982, (Alpha drive)?

Thanks.

Well, Im on vacation But for a SC'er, sure Ill try and see what i can do. To bad your not local, I can get it at cost, And could save you a good few bucks. You just want a replacement, or a mini? I'll get you the #'s for both and tell you what they cost the store where you could get it, Probally later sometime tonight I can post it up.

Sorry, I didn't know you were on vacation.
I can call around and get the information myself.
I'll probably get a replacement because I don't know what a mini is.

You just kick back and relax and have one for me.

Thanks.

My SC starter has died on me twice in the last 10 years or so, the first time I just cleaned it and it started working again, the second time I had to replace the brushes for a whole $15 or something. In your case maybe you just need to replace the solenoid, but anyway it should be cheaper than buying a whole new starter.

Hey TbirdDriver, sorry but no luck. The Mercruiser progam is a POS and there are over 36 different part #'s to chose from. You are going to need to check if your starter is a staggered, strait, or (flared?) bolt pattern. You should probaly take the old one off and bring it with you to the store. I dont work in the store. I had no clue the system couldn't determine with your engine # what you need. I have an 88 worked mercruiser 350 and only had two options. Sorry I couldnt help, and dont sweat the fact im on vacation im not on a fantasy Island somewhere. Im just home relaxing, waiting on my Kooks headers that were supposed to be here yesterday.

marine starter

your best option is probably to have a local rebuilder rebuild yours. It is essentially a car starter, but sealed. The solenoid is the same as a car, so if it's just a solenoid you are okay using one from a parts house. NAPA has marine starters available, but in my area the warehouse hardly stocks any of them, so we just go thru a local rebuilder instead ( I work at a NAPA store) . DO NOT be tempted to just get one from a parts store that is not marine approved... Every year we have at least one boat go "BOOM" around here when someone hits the key and fumes have built up in the engine compartment......it is not pretty. and always run your blower for a few minutes befroe you start it, and also when running at low speeds or idling......

TBirdDriver said:
Thanks guys.
Looks like, new starter here I come.
Before you throw in the towel, take it apart and inspect the brushes and wires. You'd be surprised. I fixed my SC starter when the brush cables came loose and it started arcing. I just drilled a hole in the brush cable bracket where it attaches to the front plate, and put in a small bolt.. Viola.. cheap fix.

starter cheap fix

well it may be worth it to try a cheap fix on a car, but as for me, when i'm out in the middle of a large lake in my boat, i want the damn thing to START when i hit the key.......just my opinion but it's a lot different if your car don't start than if a boat doesn't start.....so i would not go the 'cheap fix' route, i'd have it completely rebuilt or put a new one on..

Good point. But cheap doesn't necessarily mean poorly done and rebuilt doesn't necessarily mean quality. Rebuilt alternators, compressors, waterpumps, and some starters have a horrible reliability record, while new ones don't.

About the best bet you have is to pay the price and always buy a "new" something. If you do make a decision to fix something though, you should make sure its a good fix, not a rig job. Its a judgement call based on your confidence in your ability to do the job and evaluate the strength of the repair.. e.g. if you fixed a chair leg, would you be willing to jump up and down on the chair when you were done?

Update:

Finally had a chance to work on this thing. Took off all the connections, made sure they were clean and tight. Starter still would not turn over. On a whim, connected jumper cables from the negative battery post, directly to the engine block, and the starter worked great. Take off jumper cable, starter doesn't work.
What the $%^#. Even though the negative battery cable looked in great shape, the connection at the cable clamp, hidden under the heat shrink plastic tubing, had corroded.
Bought a new heavy duty 1 gauge cable for the negative and also one for the positive.
Who needs an engine, I can power this boat through the water now with just the starter.

You'd be surprised at how often dirty, bad, and corroded wires and connections can cause problems. LOL... that was in fact how I found my starter's spade/tab problem.. hooked the starter up to the batt and it ran.. connected it up and it didn't.

Back