Trans shops in IA

supercharged95

Hey guys, I'm not an official member of the Iowa chapter yet, but hopefully as soon as I can get my bird running I will be. I'm currently looking at either having my trans rebuilt or just ordering a Reinhart Automotive trans(due to the fact mine sucks) and I thought I'd let you guys learn from my experience so you can either avoid mistakes I make or benefit from my advice;) I'll post updates on the status of my trans and keep you guys informed.

preface, what happened to my trans------->

i changed the filter/fluid due to the fact that my trans was slipping badly. when i dropped the pan there we some(2) rather large(1" long) chunks of metal in there as well as the fact there was a total of about 3 qts of trans fluid.we put a new filter in and also 5qts of fluid,then drove the car around town driving it easily. then filled it up with another qt and took it out on the highway. i drove it easy for a couple of miles, then started some midly-hard accelerating. the first time the car shifted fine, the second time it wouldn't shift into second. we let the car sit and tried at it again, but to no avail it would not shift into second.

Here is an update regarding my transmission woes:

Called close to 20 shops here in the Des Moines area. Most of them wanted too much($1500-1800 if I removed and installed trans) and some wouldn't even deal with unless I brought the whole car in. I have had some luck with two shops though.

The first shop, Aamco(515-280-6465) quoted me $825 for trans rebuild (if I brough the transmission in). That includes new tq converter,and all other miscellaneous items. If there is any geartrain damage the gentleman said that it would be an extra $340 tops. 90 day warranty out of the store with 12 month/12,000 mile warranty when I bring the bird in and show them I installed it.

The second shop, Cottman Transmission(515-331-2100) also has what appears to be a good deal. I bring the car in and they run a 21 point inspection(including scanning the computer and checking the mlps and trs). The inspection is FREE. From there they determine the problem and let me know what needs to be done and then they quote me a price. If I decide to have them work on my car they will let me check out the trans so they can show what parts broke and the parts they will be installing to rebuild the trans as well as the specific part to replace the broken part. They will then rebuild the trans and before putting trans back up in place they will warm up the system and flush the radiator to remove any metal particles that could damage anything in the near future. To remove, install and flush the system they charge $275 which seems like a pretty reasonable price. I didn't ask him about warranty but if I decide to let this shop work on my trans I will have a warranty before I leave.
sidenote----------->
When I get home (car is in nw Iowa at my parents' house) I'm going to check the filter to make sure it didn't just come unsealed and fall down into the pan.

Here's my gameplan:
Trailer my car down here to Des Moines and have the second shop look at my car. If he can rebuild it for under $1000 total I will have him do the work, but if not I am just going to go ahead with my original plan and order a trans from Reinhart Automotive.

I should have an update after this weekend to keep you guys abreast of the situation.

Thanks for reading,
Josh Torkelson

My advice - if you plan to mod your car in the future, I'd go with the Reinhardt tranny. But if you don't plan to do that much to your SC, then just a rebuild with be ok.

And if you rebuild, I'd put in a tranny cooler and do the J-Mod (shift kit) since everything would be there and open. No clue about a good tranny shop though since I'm in the Omaha, NE area.

-Andy "Melon"

Thanks-
I plan on the tranny cooler and I wasn't sure about the j-mod. I also plan on modifying my sc in the next couple of years, but i'm assuming a good rebuild should hold the power(probably under 350hp) until I can fork out $3g for a lentech.

If you are interested there is a guy back in my hometown that does transmission rebuilds. He is a very good mechanic and did my 88 t-bird turbo coupe. It would be longer to trailer, Sigourney, SE IA. But he did mine for right at $1000 with a 1 year warrenty. I only had the car for a couple years after it but no problems. I can get you his number if you want.

If my tranny ever goes out I will have him rebuild it.
Julian

thanks for the info, but yep, sigourney is a little too far. and a grand is a little too much for just a rebuild. i'm cutting it off at a thousand. any more than that and i'm just going to go and buy a reinhart.
josh

update:
talked to my friend that i am going to have trailer my car down here and he told me that he has scanners that he can use to check out my trans(not a suprise this kid's got some healthy cash flow) so he said we'd trailer it over to his shop and check her out. and he also has a TON of contacts in the automotive field and said he can get it rebuilt for me for $$cheap$$ which is fine with me.

all drive transmission?

Did you try all drive transmission in Des Moines? thats where I got mine redone, with a shift kit. I think i paid 800$ though my dad owns his own repair shop,so i got a bit of a deal. There good peeps there, very honest. owners name is Randall. ......... are you talkina bout the cotmon on hickman? there a block up from my dads shop "Rj service Center" My t bird sits there. (hit a deer)
Later
RJ

Hey Rj-
Yep, I'm talking about cottman on hickman, they seemed like honest people, but I've decided to go elsewhere. My trans is currently apart and should be back together today or tomrrow(according to the guy building it). If you want to know what went wrong with it I updated my thread over in the tech forum.
Once my bird is back on the road we'll have to meet up sometime and raise some hell

Back