Air charger Temp

blksc

I have a 94 and im trying to trouble shoot a reasonable good 14.9 1/4mile e.t with a slow mph. a friend of mine said that it could be the ACT, but my question is how do you test, or what are some warning signs. Also how long does the ACT usually last ?

Should last a while.

Here is a chart if you want to try and measure it to see how accurate it is:

Attachments

• acttemps.gif
    acttemps.gif
    19.8 KB · Views: 125
Thats what i was thinking. But when i scan my car the only code i get is "Insufficent rpm change" which makes me think my tach or some component that tells the computer where the tach is , is busted.

the real deal

is that im getting a slight 'popping' from the exhaust to which i think is the car missing, and my tach does not travel on a smoothe arc around the tach, it kind of jumps but not huge jumps from 1000 to 3000 small jumps like 1200 to 1300

blksc said:
Thats what i was thinking. But when i scan my car the only code i get is "Insufficent rpm change" which makes me think my tach or some component that tells the computer where the tach is , is busted.

That means that you didn’t goose the throttle when you were doing the test.

You can use a multi meter to test the sensor. Set it to ohms and read the resistance when the engine is cold run the engine for a while and shut it off then unplug the sensor and place each lead from the meter to the 2 connection points. Refer to the chart that Mike posted.

Blksc with what you are describing I would think your problem is the cam sensor.

If the ACT temp is too high then the EEC will pull some timing. If it is bad it still might not throw a code. Do the test you have the information you need. If you are running 14.9 on a stock (or just a couple of mods) late model you are right where you should be.

Jeff

Well its worth a shot, i'll swap out the cam sensor. There could also be issues with fuel delivery but i'll find out when i run on the dyno

If you are measuring resistance it doesn't matter.

You will have a hard time measuring voltage because you will have to punch through the insulation and that can cause you problems down the road. But if you HAVE to do it that way then the black goes to ground and the red goes to one of the other wires if you get 0 volts try the other wire.

Jeff

Back